• This topic has 585 replies, 183 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by Mark.
Viewing 40 posts - 321 through 360 (of 586 total)
  • Sexism on STW (a goodbye and some thanks :) )
  • partyboy
    Free Member

Not the best thing to quote TJ, on a family forum too 😯

rOcKeTdOg

This and elf’s ego are why I usually avoid the chat forum, why does a cycling magazine have a non riding forum anyway?the bike forum seems much more civilised, is that coz most of the ‘chat’ers don’t actually ride?
    Good luck Sue, hope to see you in the forum that’s actually about riding

john_drummer
    Free Member

why does a cycling magazine have a non riding forum anyway?

in the beginning there was just one forum. then the cyclists said “let there be some chat”.
    And lo, it was more than half-full at any one time with “OT: ” chat.

and so the mods said “let there be a separate chat forum” and lo, the mods made it so.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

partyboy – quoting a post a few above mine

soobalias
    Free Member

great move, so we went from an average 50% drivel to a dedicated forum for it

druidh
    Free Member

soobalias – Member
    great move, so we went from an average 50% drivel to a dedicated forum for it

But at least it’s now easy to avoid if you don’t want to be bothered by it.

fluffykittens
    Free Member

enfht – Member
    FluffyKittens, your name betrays your standpoint and weakens your argument

I fail to see what point you’re making here…

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Bye Sue, sorry you are going for this reason, but I understand. I fear that eventually there will be no-one good left.

I get saddened by the frequent and nasty anti-religious sentiment. But I reject any sense of victimisation and wont let other posters stop my enjoyment of the forum in most other respects.

Fare thee well

DirtyLyle
    Free Member

Sexism is bad.
    Lots of people have said it.
    Personally, I find the self-appointed smug, faux-intellectual people who ‘police’ a f-ing MTB forum, administering their advice and wisdom from their cosy moral high–ground, take most of the joy out of this forum.

emma82
    Free Member

I fail to see what point you’re making here…

I have to say, I’d be interested to know to…. I have a ‘fluffyfluffybunny’ email account. Doesn’t mean I want my back doors knocked in. That’s pretty much what all this is about.

crikey
    Free Member

Although I’m all for less misogynistic rubbish, and wholeheartedly agree with Sue W and many others, I can’t escape the feeling that we are demanding higher standards of behaviour on a mountain bike forum than we would expect in real life.
    I’m not suggesting we should let it go, I’m not suggesting its in anyway ok, but… As some others have hinted at, its a very male place and some of the posts will reflect that.

More strict moderation, and more self policing would help, but its not and never will be the Guardian.

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

Why do a few (well at least 3 specific posters) just not get why this is not just another flounce, or guardianistas protecting the wimmin… But an issue of how pathetic and immature changing room banter makes people other posters like and respect feel unwanted and uncomfortable…

Once again, just because TJ and elfin support Sue W and emsz, doesn’t make them wrong.

There are some insensitive insightless muppets posting in this thread. GW, Enfht and Flange leading the way…

Why do some people not get that the world is a nicer and better place with women in it, and making them feel uncomfortable – as so often happens on here – is puerile and pathetic and immature. The “it’s only the Internet” and “well find somewhere else you over sensitive flower” arguments are about as convincing as “well everyone around here is white and a bit racist”….

Grow Up.

partyboy
    Free Member

Personally, I find the self-appointed smug, faux-intellectual people who ‘police’ a f-ing MTB forum, administering their advice and wisdom from their cosy moral high–ground, take most of the joy out of this forum.

Oh so true, there should be a separate arsehole forum tab.

barn
    Free Member

Don’t go.
    Stay and stick it to the low life.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

higher standards of behaviour on a mountain bike forum than we would expect in real life.

In the real world If anyone started doing the ‘back doors’ talk whilst any female friends or relations of mine were in ear shot I would have a word.

MrSmith
    Free Member

bothered by something posted on an internet forum?

lol.

emma82
    Free Member

But crikey I, as a female who goes mountain biking have been out riding with groups of lads on numerous occasions as there really isn’t many women into it that I know and I’ve rarely come across some of the comments made about women on this forum while out with them, unless they were just being protective of my pretty little ears. Yes there are the odd, ohh she’s fit comments but nothing much worse and certainly nothing that doesn’t get nipped in the bud with a frown thrown someone’s way. If some of the comments referred to from the thread last night are anything to go by, some people on this forum are bang out of order.

sugdenr
    Free Member

For goodness sake, do grow up and stop whining

singletrackmind

Anyone driving from Brizzole along the M4 eastwards this weekend? I will pay cash money if you could collect a pair o ski boots for me .
    Then meet up , pref Hants or Surrey and swap boots 4 some folding .
    Silly me not reading small print on ebay ad.

oldgrump08
    Free Member

I find the d*ckh*ad ratio is higher on STW than it used to be. But maybe I’m just less tolerant than I used to be.
    OP – congrats on drawing a line.

Gary_C

Exactly.

For goodness sake, do grow up and stop whining

Oh, the irony…

stevewhyte
    Free Member

This is the best attention seeking thread ever. Luckily i didnt read much of it. 🙄

Kevevs
    Free Member

Let’s face it, this (the chat forum) is a place, in general for a certain white middle- class blokey herd to form and bray. It’s not your general mixup of people out there that wander around ASDA. But cycling is for everyone, and so is this forum. The fact that there is such a huge male imbalance/discrepancy is a bit of a problem for us and Mountain Biking I think. It’s really unfortunate that someone like Sue, who is a smashing person In real life, or Emz has to feel uncomfortable on here. It pisses me off. I’m certain I can be a dick on here sometimes, but the only reason I pop in is because of the interesting people, not the herd.
    I too think I’m less tolerant these days oldgrump08. I’m nearly 40 😮

Stevewhyte: I’d say most of the threads started in the chat forum are attention seeking. It’s obvious to me that this one is seeking attention to something in specific whether you agree or not.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Personally some of the hate filled bile i’ve seen posted on mumsnet, makes this place look like a beacon of respectfulness.

M6TTF
    Free Member

This and elf’s ego are why I usually avoid the chat forum, why does a cycling magazine have a non riding forum anyway?the bike forum seems much more civilised, is that coz most of the ‘chat’ers don’t actually ride?
    Good luck Sue, hope to see you in the forum that’s actually about riding

+1 – not to single anyone out, there’s far too many self appointed ‘forum leaders’ on here these days

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

This is the best attention seeking thread ever. Luckily i didnt read much of it.

You mustuv only read this bit then:

Anyone driving from Brizzole along the M4 eastwards this weekend? I will pay cash money if you could collect a pair o ski boots for me .
    Then meet up , pref Hants or Surrey and swap boots 4 some folding .
    Silly me not reading small print on ebay ad.

😆

Qualitage. STM knew that the best way to get anyone to notice his request was to post it up on the busiest thread. 🙂

bothered by something posted on an internet forum?

Well you’ve had yer knickers in a twist on quite a number of occasions I can remember mate. 😀

This and elf’s ego are why I usually avoid the chat forum

(Basks in the Glory. Ego is boosted by 3.7%)

Kevevs
    Free Member

This and elf’s ego are why I usually avoid the chat forum,

Elf can be a serious pain in the arse. but he’s one of the interesting non-herders on here and gives this place some life and perspective, which it seriously needs imo.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I can’t escape the feeling that we are demanding higher standards of behaviour on a mountain bike forum than we would expect in real life.

I don’t think we are. Most of us expect decent standards of behaviour from others in Real Life. Don’t assume we all set our sights that low.

MrSmith
    Free Member

Well you’ve had yer knickers in a twist on quite a number of occasions I can remember mate

there’s a big difference to replying to posts for your own amusement and actually giving a toss about what somebody you have never met writes on an internet forum.

getting ones knickers in a twist would suggest giving a toss, i certainly don’t.
    any bedwetter who genuinely feels angst or anger about a post needs to get out and interact with the real world a bit more.

fluffykittens
    Free Member

Personally some of the hate filled bile i’ve seen posted on mumsnet, makes this place look like a beacon of respectfulness.

Agreed that there are far worse places on the internet, but that doesn’t mean that we can’t try and improve the environment here.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

As others have said – if some of the things that are said on here were said to me in a group I was in in real life words would be said – but none of my circle of friends would ever say things like that.

I have found this sort of sentiment amusing

DirtyLyle – Member

Self appointed forum leaders

I see myself as me and only that – one person with a set of opinions – I certainly don’t see myself as a forum leader – indeed I see no one as that

I guess that is aimed at folk like me and Elf – well just tell us to eff off – others do. its nowt to do with “moral high ground” or any of the other bile – its because we have strong opinions and are not afraid to make them known.

I get a load of stick on here and rarely complain – I understand live by the sword and die by it. the insults thrown my way are many.

I hate the casual misogyny on here – to me it spoils the forum- nowhere else in my life do I even see it let alone have to tolerate it

Stoatsbrother

thank you

onewheelgood

Personally some of the hate filled bile i’ve seen posted on mumsnet, makes this place look like a beacon of respectfulness

While this is true, it doesn’t actually justify some of the more dubious posts on here.

fatmax

DirtyLyle & Gary_C ^^ +1
    Sue has her reasons, fair enough.
    I’m sorry, but the length of time that some have spent a-top their soapbox on this thread makes me cringe/laugh…get a grip FFS
    MrSmith too +1

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

getting ones knickers in a twist would suggest giving a toss, i certainly don’t.

Yeah. Right. Ok. Whatever….

grantway
    Free Member

Got to say I was totally disgusted and certainly was not banter and voiced my opinion
    But i wouldn’t leave has this seems to have been dealt with.

tazzymtb

not to single anyone out, there’s far too many self appointed ‘forum leaders’ on here these days

I agree with him!

billyboy
    Free Member

Is there nothing we can say

Is there nothing we can do

Ou Ou Ou

Sorry…missed all the fuss

I would like to point out that it is difficult being a man in this age of transition where rolls are changing…gotta be careful here….are rolls roles….ham and cheese please!….have I got that wrong?
    It’s the big shake up. Ladies no longer stay at home to look after the house and the kids. Men are no longer the sole breadwinner and ruler of the household. It’s even stevens folks and we don’t know how to cope. It’s lead to loads of misery and 100 years down the line we will maybe settle to it.

In the meantime cut everyone loads of slack and we will get there

Just remember we are all human beings (unless you are an HSBC employee or a corrupt politician) or…or etc

Try and do as you would be done by

M6TTF
    Free Member

not to single anyone out, there’s far too many self appointed ‘forum leaders’ on here these days
    I agree with him!

Cheers taz – like I said, i don’t single anyone out – it appears tj did that for me, If the cap fits….

And that’s not to say that I don’t think you do, or don’t make a valued comments on here, I do like to read everyone’s input.

molgrips
    Free Member

Well I haven’t got time to read all this but is it not possible that some of the sexist commenters are actually making a poor attempt to be ironic not actually sexist?

Not that this excuses it of course, such things are only really feasible when you know your company very well. And often the two things (being silly and being sexist/misogynistic) are all mixed up together.

its because we have strong opinions and are not afraid to make can’t resist making them known

FTFY 😉

cinnamon_girl

Could I make a plea to Sue to return? Your posts were always interesting and insightful and a real contribution to the Forum.

I do hope that people will look at themselves now and perhaps pause before they hit the keyboard. One has to remain optimistic.

emsz – you need to come back too, your straight-talking posts made me chuckle.

Of course we need girlies on here even if it’s only to help with the ‘what bike for the missus’ type thread. 🙂

I’m not going anywhere and hope nobody’s disappointed. 🙄

Viewing 40 posts - 321 through 360 (of 586 total)

The topic ‘Sexism on STW (a goodbye and some thanks :) )’ is closed to new replies.