• This topic has 585 replies, 183 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by Mark.
Viewing 40 posts - 361 through 400 (of 586 total)
  • Sexism on STW (a goodbye and some thanks :) )
  • molgrips
    Free Member

Agree with CG – Sue and emsz were lovely to have around.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I’m not going anywhere and I hope some people are disappointed. 😀

chiefgrooveguru

I find myself wondering how many female MTBers only ever lurk on here rather than post, for fear of being caught up amongst the all too frequent male idiocy…

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Elfinsafety – Member
    I’m not going anywhere and I hope some people are disappointed

Proper LOL, really did make me giggle, Classic. Elfin, I like your taste in German Beer and the odd jem like that, even if you really do annoy me in other respects.

kennyp
    Free Member

Out of curiousity, can someone post a link to some of these supposed sexist, or racist, or any other -ist postings that are causing oh-so much “offence” amongst the serial offendees on here? I’ve been on STW for years and can’t think of a single one.

I’ve seen umpteen things I disagree with, or thought were nonsense, but I’ve never seen anything that’s made me feel I have the right to dictate to someone else what words are in or out of flavour this month.

cinnamon_girl

What I feel is really sad is that Forum Rides can be terrific fun and have met some really decent people, mainly blokes admittedly. Never heard any nasty or derogatory comments, apart from pishtaking of riding skills. 🙂

It’s a shame that girlies can be put off from attending any. 🙁

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Kenny
    “go out for a bike ride” is a common one

another is the leching after scantily clad women that happens often- judging a woman only on her looks

Its not so much about specific words – its about context. what would be acceptable in the bar of the rugby club is not acceptable in a public forum

How about he reaction when one of the women asked about a pint in cardif teh other week

Junkyard
    Free Member

I think the fact that there are several female posters, who all generally make good contributions to the forum – all either leaving or not coming here much any more due to sexism tells it’s own story.

personally I dont encounter anything like the ladishness that goes on on here or the references to women in sexual terms anywhere in the real world

kennyp your disparaging tone for peole not like you is a mark of repsect then? I can only assume we are weak because we have different values from you. You could have made that point without being so disparaging

stevewhyte
    Free Member

That cause they are all busy making the beds and getting the washing done. 😀

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

It looks like we are now on a short fuse (brill imo!):

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/je-suis-impressed#post-3129829

Kevevs
    Free Member

“I find myself wondering how many female MTBers only ever lurk on here rather than post, for fear of being caught up amongst the all too frequent male idiocy…”

I’m curious about this too. I bet there are loads of chicks birds females of the species women that love riding bikes and should post on here despite the male idiocy.

kennyp
    Free Member

kennyp your disparaging tone for peole not like you is a mark of repsect then? I can only assume we are weak because we have different values from you. You could have made that point without being so disparaging

Not at all. I didn’t mean to disparage anyone. I love the fact we all have different views, and am happy to hear them all. What I dislike is when people call for views they disagree with to be banned.

Coyote
    Free Member

Sorry to see emsz and Sue leave but rolling eyes at the indignation of the STW “Guardians of Moral Justice”. FFS.

kennyp
    Free Member

“go out for a bike ride” is a common one

Not one I’d heard before, and to be honest not one I’d choose to use myself. That said, such expressions really are few and far between.

As for judging a woman solely on her looks, yes I sometimes do that as a bit of fun. Let’s be honest, lots of women judge women solely on their looks. Once you get to know someone, then you judge them in lots of other ways.

stevewhyte
    Free Member

Do not judge least ye be judged.

nick1962
    Free Member

stevewhyte – Member

Do not judge least ye be judged.
    Matthew 7?

Not another “god botherer” eh TJ ? 😉

flange
    Free Member

that is clearly outrageous.

I’d like to anally rape you is a compliment?

Jeezo have a think man

FFS if you’d read the post rather than being blinded by your do-gooder liberal blinkers, you’d see that I didn’t say that in the slightest

And if you don’t like it, you can leave

Does that statement not seem slightly hypocritical considering you’re berating people because someone has left because they didn’t like it? Tell you what, I don’t like your behaviour, your self-righteous policing of the forum and
    having to comment in your condescending way really pisses me off. I want you to moderate you’re behaviour, or

you can leave

I bet there’s far more people have left this forum because of you, than because of ‘isms causing offence

Dickyboy

I find myself wondering how many female MTBers only ever lurk on here rather than post, for fear of being caught up amongst the all too frequent male idiocy…

I mostly try to avoid posting for fear of getting into some pointless bollocks about nothing, seems like the internet is a bit like driving a car & people behave in a way they never would in real life – roll on the day when everyones picture & real name is published with each post – now I’ve opened that can of worms I’ll say +1 to the OP & disapear in a puff of smoke

nick1962
    Free Member

Is Parky lurking on STW under a pseudonymn?
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmlP_cFOoAM&feature=related[/video]

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

flange I did read the post and I think its outrageous.

To me, if someone says something involving back doors, it’s a back handed compliment. Along the lines of ‘you’re
    hot, I’d like to hop on the good foot and do the bad thing with you…’. It’s not meant in a ‘I’d like to analy rape you’context, at least I’d bloody well hope not.

so to you an threat to anally rape someone is a complement. right

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Is this drivel still going? Do you people have nothing better to do at this time of night? *

*Disclaimer – 2000hrs here, and am sitting on my lonesome in a bar with my friend Sam. Samuel Adams, that is. Oh and watching Florida State at Boston.

bravohotel8er
    Free Member

What’s wrong with being sexy?

flange
    Free Member

Are you being deliberately stupid?

To me, if someone says something involving back doors, it’s a back handed compliment. Along the lines of ‘you’re
    hot, I’d like to hop on the good foot and do the bad thing with you…’. It’s not meant in a ‘I’d like to analy rape you’context, at least I’d bloody well hope not.

See the ‘not’ bit? Still unsure?

KennySenior
    Free Member

TJ. The euphemism you refer to means anal sex, not anal rape. Still crude and offensive, I fully agree. But don’t make it into something it isn’t to try and score points. It does nothing for your credibility.

nonk
    Free Member

FFS ten pages just let the lady go if she wants.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

absolutely certain.

to me, if someone says something involving back doors, it’s a back handed compliment

can you not see how offensive that is?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

It does nothing for your credibility.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

“go out for a bike ride” implys force to me and obviously to flange as he says it

KennySenior
    Free Member

I know what you take it to mean.

But that’s not what it means.

flange
    Free Member

What?? I’m sorry but we’ll have to agree to disagree.

How about ‘a bit of slap and tickle’? Do you punch her lights out then go for her feet? When she asks if you fancy a bit of ‘how’s-your-father’, do you pop upstairs and have a deep and meaningful about your childhood?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Flange said “It’s not meant in a ‘I’d like to analy rape you’context, at least I’d bloody well hope not.” so he thinks as I do

its the “kick in” bit that to me means force

brakes
    Free Member

there are two kinds of poster on here which cause situations like this:
    1_ those who make flippant comments and crass remarks designed to cause minor offence
    2_ those who rise to those comments, feign indignation and react with relentless repetetive hand wringing, claiming their position as the last bastion of ethics.

I can’t help but think that due to the volume of posts from the latter, a false impression of widespread moral turpitude is created which others start to believe, and threads like this are born.

KennySenior
    Free Member

I follow your reasoning.

However, the phrase, which has been about since I was a schoolboy, and has been seen on this forum time and time again, does not mean what you claim it means, or what you claim flange thinks it means. It means something different.

flange
    Free Member

You are priceless. Argue with yourself, I’m off to bed – I might even knock one out (and by that, I mean private reflection time, not punch someone out)

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I can’t help but think that due to the volume of posts from the latter, a false impression of widespread moral turpitude is created which others start to believe.

^^Lots of this^^

Especially for using the words “moral turpitude” 🙂

flippinheckler
    Free Member

YAWN!

bravohotel8er
    Free Member

‘Moral Turpitude’ would be the poshest thrash metal band ever.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

bh8er, we’re in the studio recording our difficult second album at the moment.

KennySenior
    Free Member

Is flange arguing with me or TJ?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I can’t help but think that due to the volume of posts from the latter, a false impression of widespread moral turpitude is created which others start to believe.

One of the most ridiculous things ever posted on here. so to complain about sexists posts creates the problem 😆

have you read the rules? seen the number of deleted and closed threads and deleted posts? becuse in the opinion of the moderators it is offensive.

Viewing 40 posts - 361 through 400 (of 586 total)

The topic ‘Sexism on STW (a goodbye and some thanks :) )’ is closed to new replies.