SewingtrackWorld

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • SewingtrackWorld
  • Tom B

I want to buy my girlfriend a sewing machine for her birthday. She’s really into crafty upcycling kinda stuff, not sure how good at sewing she is, but apparently she did GCSE Textiles 😂

Any advice on what to buy? I’m not sure what she’d be aiming to make, probably soft furnishings?

Bunnyhop

I make soft furnishings for a living and use 3 different types of industrial machine.

My advice would be to buy something of really good quality. If on the other hand she’s just making toys or clothing out of finer fabrics (e.g. not upholstery quality) then most of today’s machines are good.

Premier Icon GrahamS
    Subscriber

Bizarrely I’m currently getting into sewing myself after we picked up a second-hand machine to do some minor repairs. I’ve not touched a sewing machine since a brief Home Economics lesson in school 30-odd years ago, but I’m finding it quite satisfying even though I’m still at the basic zipped pouch/pencil case stage.

Anyways, my advice is look at second hand. We only paid £50 for our Janome 7025, which was in like-new condition and is currently sold in John Lewis for £230!

Since ours was intended for very occasional use we specifically wanted one that tidied away into its own carry-box cover thing.

By the way, I recommend watching thejasonofalltrades on YouTube. He’s a mountain biker and he has some good videos showing how to repair backpacks and make your own. Got me thinking!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQ-y2zcVy5TKDYP_4Jobp1A

Tom B

That Janone is the one that I’d seen Graham, a little bit of me feels a bit tight buying her a second hand gift….do you rate that one then?

It’s not second hand. It’s upcycled.

She loves that kinda thing apparently.

Premier Icon GrahamS
    Subscriber

a little bit of me feels a bit tight buying her a second hand gift

Then use the change to buy her something else 🙂

do you rate that one then?

I am completely unqualified to offer an opinion!

But as this is STW I will anway…

As a complete beginner it seems okay to me. Plastic, but reasonably well put together. Not an industrial workhorse, but doesn’t feel too fragile either. The accessories storage drawer is a little chintzy, but that’s okay.

I managed to figure out how to thread it okay (it has nice little reminder diagrams on it) and the controls seems relatively intuitive and clearly labelled too with nice little pictures of the stitch types (though as of now I’ve only done straight stitch and zig-zag). Manual is pretty clear. It does assume a bit of sewing experience, but a couple of YouTube primers soon got me up to speed.

That’s about all I can really say. I’ve really got no experience and nothing to compare it to.

fossy

A basic Janome is good for a beginner. My missus has 6 machines, two costing many 000’s

fossy

PS she has one more machine than I have bikes…. not fair.  I did buy her one.   She has a basic Janome at the caravan, two Janome overlockers (one is touch screen computerised), a Janome Computerised Sewing/embroidery machine, a Brother sewing/embroidery machine, and a Toyota freehand embroidery/quilting machine.

My wife is mad for sewing (patchwork and quilting mostly). She’s had quite a few machines and I’ve been in loads of shops with her. The first machine she got (Brother something or other) was a bad buy –  not up to much use, fragile and kept breaking down. The new one – Husqvarna Viking- is fantastic. Advice from the shops is normally good so worth asking at your nearest.

ts

BillMC

My Mrs, A level needlework plus a lot of flair, has a Bernina sewing machine and an overlocker. These have produced dresses, coats, Liberty/William Morris shirts for me. Buy well and it will endure. She’s just been looking at a professional course today for jacket making. They are wonderfully productive and enduring machines, well worth spending a few quid on. Bernina, incidentally, was the school machine of choice before the Tories chucked all that practical stuff out and made it ‘design briefs’ on bits  of paper (in state schools, ofcourse).

Premier Icon Sandwich
    Subscriber

<Tannoy>Bunnyhop to the thread, Bunnyhop to the thread</Tannoy>

My kids are into cosplay, and have struggled to made loads of outfits on a £20 handheld, so we bought a Singer Brilliance 6180 last year from Lidl for about £120. It’s been fantastic, kids have taught themselves tailoring using a combination of YouTube and reverse engineering clothes out of their wardrobes.

The machine  has tons of stitches, one touch button holes, about half a dozen feet and up for most cloting projects. You wouldn’t try it on leather or heavy tarp but heavy denim hasn’t caused it problems.

Tom B

@sandwich bunnyhop was the first person to reply!

Cheers for the advice folks, think i’ll be trying to pick something decent second hand up on eBay…..

Premier Icon GrahamS
    Subscriber

A couple of videos that made me realise that sewing might actually be a handy skill even for people blessed with testicles and a beard:

thecaptain

There’s plenty of good advice here but I’d speak to the gf and get her to help buy it. She may have her own ideas about what she wants.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘SewingtrackWorld’ is closed to new replies.