Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Setting up brakes on an Isla Rothan…quick query.
  • lister

Could someone just check their littlest bike and see which hole on the brake mounts the brake spring is through…just wondering which Isla bikes use, I’m guessing the middle?

Need to do it tonight, cos I promised littlelister#1 so I can’t ring them…
    thank you 🙂

lister

sorry…bump!

julianwilson
    Free Member

middle hole is fine to start with: the choice of holes adjusts the tension of the return spring so you could make it feel firmer by going ‘up’ one or easier for a little hand to squeeze by going ‘down’ one. As long as the ‘return’ of the springs overcomes the friction of the cable inner and outer you may as well go softer as its a back brake and less dangerous if grabbed too enthusiastically. (annoyingly, my lad’s balance bike is only drilled for a front brake…)

lister

thanks, just wondering what the ‘factory’ setting was…didn’t want to make it too hard to pull…i run my v’s on the hardest setting for more feel but i have no idea how hard small hands can pull…i guess i’ll go for middle then talk to islabikes later.

shame your balance bike only has front brake! seems strange…

julianwilson
    Free Member

it doesn’t come with any brake at all but i guess the fork is a ‘stock’ kiddie bike one, so is drilled for a front caliper brake.

lister

arse! i seem to be missing something now…there is no threaded tube sticking out of the braze-on for the body of the brake to sit over and screw into…

it’s not going to happen tonight

pedalhead
    Free Member

Ignore me, misread.

aracer
    Free Member

i seem to be missing something now…there is no threaded tube sticking out of the braze-on for the body of the brake to sit over and screw into…

When I got the kit from Islabikes it came with a set of brake studs for screwing into the holes – check what bits you’ve got.

Just been and checked – my springs are in the holes nearest the rear axle – ie the least spring force. Works fine with them there and less hard for him to pull – there is after all less cable, so less friction than on a normal bike.

lister

that the word! brake studs…not got any, buggar, just bolts supplied. ‘nother phone call tomorrow!

carlphillips
    Free Member

tell the little un to mtfu and use his/her trainers as brakes 😆

my little uns rothan came sans brakes and he was fine.

matthewjb
    Free Member

Just checked mine and the springs are in the middle hole.

Although without brake studs you’re a bit stuck.

Having said that you can probably get away without brakes until little lister has got the hang of balancing.

aracer
    Free Member

Having said that you can probably get away without brakes until little lister has got the hang of balancing.

Indeed – how old, and how long has little lister been riding it? mini-aracer #1 can use his, but he’s not really got the hang of when he should yet, still mostly using shoe braking. That’s at 2yr, 4.5 months, having been riding regularly for over 3 months. Wouldn’t bother at all, but it will help him get down the steep hill on the way to the playground, where he prefers to get off and walk at the moment.

lister

that’s why he needs brakes 🙂
    he just wants bigger steeper hills, and his feet up scooting on the flat is now up to jogging speed, which makes for some interesting stopping at the end of pavements etc!

turns out the studs should have been in the pack and are on their way…

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Setting up brakes on an Isla Rothan…quick query.’ is closed to new replies.