Viewing 7 posts - 41 through 47 (of 47 total)
  • Setting personal challenges – what next?
  • maracucho
    Free Member

Change sport:

Orienteering, Climbing, CX, MTB, bike packing, kayaking, caving, sailing, etc etc

Or

Change location:

There must be some good challenges in China, Patagonia, Siberia, Norway etc etc

Or

Pick a long distance trail to walk or run. South West Coast Path, GR5 etc

maracucho
    Free Member

Create some Strava art

Or

Visit every OS grid square in UK

Or

Munro/ Corbett/ Graham/ Marilyn bagging

Or

Visit every trig point in the UK

Or

Cycle to every county cricket ground

pondo

White collar boxing. 🙂

scruff9252

Thanks all for the suggestions. I completely agree about the Ironman money machine – the Iron distance races I completed were Lakesman & Outlaw – much smaller and friendlier.

I do have other interests too. One of my longer term goals is to visit every Scottish  (Hamish Haswell Smith) Island and i have visited 37 between the Clyde and Skye out of 233 in total. visiting those means I now have a decent fleet of boats including a comfortable sized Moody, a wayfarer, Canadian canoe & touring kayaks, surfboards, windsurfer etc… I’ll be off sailing for a week of two next month to tick a few more off.

events wise, I am / was looking for was single event to train for and complete – the marathon de Sable looks silly mental and reportedly good fun (have a chum that completed a few years ago). Alas I wont be able to spend that amount of money on the entry fee’s.

Spine / mountain races sound good – may look into the ring of Steall ridge race.

Thanks all – given me some food for thought

whitestone
    Free Member

The Haswell Smith book is good isn’t it? Reminds me in a way of the Lakes Wainwright guidebooks due to his water colour paintings. Some of the skerries in the Minch and north of the Hebrides could be interesting, a friend has been to Rona and Sula Sgeir which are really remote.

scruff9252

@whitestone – The book  by Haswell Smith is tremendous, The combination of pilotage information, geology, history and cracking the lid on the anthropology of the region is in itself fascinating. Especially as it (feels) designed to read whist at anchor off the island you are reading about. The artwork within it is just sublime – minimalist watercolours but conveying the essence of the island completely.  It is far and away my favourite book in the book case and very often thumbed. Have you read An Island Odyssey?

whitestone
    Free Member

No I haven’t. Will have to get it for the fireside sessions this coming winter.

Viewing 7 posts - 41 through 47 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘Setting personal challenges – what next?’ is closed to new replies.