Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • Setting personal challenges – what next?
  • scruff9252

Over the years I’ve set myself some daft (and not too daft) challenges – Stopping smoking 2012, running a half marathon 2013, running a Marathon(x2) 2015 and at the weekend just completed my second <14hr Ironman Triathlon (no horses interfered with during the day).

I’m fairly fit but in the “fairly fit for an average chap”, not exactly superman.

Next month I’m swimming across the Correvryken for a giggle and in August I have a place in the French Divide in August. I am contemplating passing on the French Divide place as it is not exciting me at the moment. I’ve done cycle tours in France the last few years & for me cycling in France is all about cafe’s for morning coffee’s, 4pm demi carafe of chilled white wine and scoffing good food – the antithesis of the FD.

So people of STW – Inspire me with your idea’s for my next challenge and/or help get me get out of post IM funk and get motivated to make the start line of the FD…

ta

Garry_Lager

Sounds like you’ve been plodding long enough, scruff – how about a change of pace? Come top ten in a local cyclocross race.

celticdragon

If you fancy a carrot of an event, have a look at Across the 5 (https://www.act5.be), (its hard), its also a qualifier for the Highland 550 so it gives you a double whammy. It also passes through some stunning scenery.

Act 5, was set up by a TD finisher and a FD finisher.

For a change of pace, how about going for 1 of the time records for a long distance ride like the SDW or something like that.

jonba
    Free Member

Marathon Des Sables
    Fire and Ice ultra marathon
    Ladakh ultra marathon
    Yak attack (Mtb)

Haute Route

Cheaper options include the Pyrenean C2C Marmot Tours do it as a 100hr challenge “holiday”.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I’m in a similar boat. Done 6 marathons, some tris inc a 12h 226 a 10 and 7hr mtb event in the last 7 years.

At 49 with fitness seeming harder to maintain, a recurring running issue and anxiety/lack of motivation to train, I really don’t want to give up ceompetitive events, but am enjoying them less and less.

I should probably join some clubs for the company and also MTFU re sorting my injury/training out.

whitestone
    Free Member

Are you wanting “races” or just something out of the ordinary?

If you’ve winter experience (and a fat bike) then the Rovaniemi 150 is a great event/race. An alternative winter bike race would be the Fat Viking if it’s still being run next year, I can’t remember seeing entry requirements as strict as for Rovaniemi.

I’m doing the FD and am looking forward to it, I doubt I’ll be worrying the fast riders 🙂

Running: One of the big three rounds (BGR, PBR, CRR) or something like The Spine or Dragon’s Back

@celticdragon
    – there are no qualifiers as such for the HT550 just events that it helps to have done. Basically completing them shows that you can handle yourself in rough terrain for several days.

@cynic-al
    – sounds a bit like overtraining. I reckon I had this since last October: no oomph, very tired (going to bed at 9:30), Strava times getting worse despite “trying”. I’ve taken to using a HRM. All my commutes are in Zone 1 and weekend rides are Zone 2 (if possible) and things are improving.

mogrim

Running: Spine Race or Tor des Geants (if you can get a place), Marathon des Sables is high on the list of things I’d like to do if I ever win the lottery…

Bike: US coast to coast would be great. A proper adventure trip like ice riding Lake Baikal would be quite cool, too.

Swimming: cross channel?

Marin
    Free Member

4 weeks bikepacking through Nepal, part of Yak Attack Route, for me. What could possibly go wrong at 48. Challenge is too keep doing it not completing it these days!

Mates doing the Trans America race as we speak.

qwerty
    Free Member

+ 1 CX race. Its only less than an hour, how hard can it be? Strangely addictive.

I’ve seen pro road racers get lapped & not make the top 10 @ a local race. Many aspects of fitness & skill condensed into a sub hour of blur.

If you want to be really silly on a CX bike, do the 3 Peaks.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Slightly different style the yours.  In the last  year I did:

Did my first proper DWS trip and my first solo of a French 7a rock climb (above the sea natch)

Cuillin ridge traverse solo IAD

Triple imperial century IAD

Skied my first proper graded ‘winter climb’

So a good year for bucket list ticks.

Not got any particular climbing goals any more, but soloing 100 rock climbs in a day was one of my better previous efforts. Though possibly not recommended if you’ve not done much climbing before.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Revisiting my point above in a slightly provocative manner…. The things you listed above seem very fitness orientated…. why not get into something with more of a skill element as well? Kayaking, or climbing or surfing or something.

Might be a good way to maintain the challenge and interest as your body declines slowly

Bez

Do a different French Divide. Find a bunch of French foods or wines you like, cycle from the birthplace/home/most celebrated prosucer of one to the next. No shortage of destinations to choose from.

Earning Cake

wors

Similar boat here, last 4 or 5 years have been doing Ironman/half ironman stuff. Got injured last year and haven’t had any motivation to get back into it. Still biking but for the pure enjoyment of it and not doing 10 hill reps…….

Can’t see me doing them again but you never know.

I think its good to challenge yourself but it can take over the enjoyment of why you are doing it in the first place.

genubah
    Free Member

Next year’s Dirty Kanza 200?

13thfloormonk

Probably a bit run of the mill for you, and all road bike related, but these three have all caught my eye (although I’ll never score the time off for the third one!).

This:

http://www.mallorca312.com/

as training for this

http://www.langwaydoon.co.uk  (which I should have been doing in two days time, but then postponed till September, and now postponed till next June due to a broken collarbone! Grrr…)

and then this (which I’ll never do)

https://100climbschallenge.org/about/

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I usually like to have some sort of a challenge every summer to force me to get off my lazy arse, get out of the house and prepare. This year (this weekend, in fact) it’s the Yorkshire 3 peaks circuit in under 8 hours. Previously it was the Bernia Ridge with my Bro in  law. Used to be Alps climbing  trips in August I spent the whole summer physically preparing for.

jameso

It’s also ok not to have a tick, challenge or quantifiable achievement in mind. Just ride or do whatever because it inspires you for whatever reason. If there isn’t anything particular just go and do that tour in France, enjoy it. Did pretty much that myself recently and it was both relaxing and a challenge that itched the itch. No epic points, just on my bike across France in a style of solo riding that suits me and pushes me without getting all type 2 or type A.

I could recommend something like the TINAT 600 if you wanted a challenge that’s a bit different to what you’ve done before, it’s not easy at all though. I liked how as an event there’s a refreshing and total lack of bravado bollocks. Riders just get on and do it. Much like any other Audax. Just pick a tough one and set your own time aim.

lotto
    Free Member

Mont Blanc for me next year .Maybe something that would interest you?

Spin
    Free Member

Skied my first proper graded ‘winter climb’

What was that?

Spin
    Free Member

Running: One of the big three rounds (BGR, PBR, CRR) or something like The Spine or Dragon’s Back

All great challenges and maybe more doable than some think but… massive steps up from what the op has done before, not just in terms of fitness but also hill skills which can take some time to develop.

A big(ish) trail ultra might be a good stepping stone?

djglover
    Free Member

Some have already mentioned it, Bob Graham Round, although you might want a longer than 1 year horizon on it.  I set my sights on it in 2014 and did it last month.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Spin

What was that?

He he,busted. It sounds better than the reality. Broad gully on stob coire Nan lochan about a month back

Details here:

https://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/glencoe-tomorrow-what-to-do-given-that-bike-uplift-aint-running/

Spin
    Free Member

Broad gully on stob coire Nan lochan

Cool, I was just curious having done a bit of that stuff myself.

Have you skied Paradise Face on Bidean? Easier than Broad Gully but just amazing.

Spin
    Free Member

Paradise Face with my tracks:

[url=https://flic.kr/p/JrN5bX]P1010193[/url] by happycrenker, on Flickr

whitestone
    Free Member

@thegeneralist – you may have seen this. The Cairngormwanderer blog did a post on the first ski descent of The Black Spout at Lochnagar done way back in 1954!

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Spin

Paradise Face with my tracks:

And indeed taken from near the top of broad gully. That really does look special. The description in my recently purchase BigginBookOfGlencoeSkiing sounds brilliant.

Did you look at the photos on the thread that I linked to. It turns out the thing I skied as a warm up for broad gully was significantly steeper than the gully itself, and scary sluffy snow. Not an experience i want to repeat.

I’m based in Manchester, if you or whitestone fancy any trips next winter then I’d be well up for it.

whitestone
    Free Member

Thanks for the offer but I haven’t skied in years and my off-piste skills were close to non-existent back then! 🙂

thegeneralist
    Free Member

From whitestone’s link

Luckily, I managed to roll over, get on my feet and ski off the moving slope.”

Ha ha. That’ll teach me to be such a Wendy about my sluff scares.. love the story.

Spin
    Free Member

Yes, good photos. I skied that line to the left that you did on my way back from Paradise Face. I’d planned to do broad gully but it hadnt had any sun and was icy and lumpy.

My skiing has really fallen by the wayside the last few years. I had a few years where I was stupid keen (and just plain stupid at some points) but the last few years I’ve been more motivated for winter climbing and running.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

my off-piste skills were close to non-existent back then

Hmmm. A closer look at those tracks strongly suggests otherwise.😁

Spin
    Free Member

the first ski descent of The Black Spout at Lochnagar done way back in 1954!

I heard an interview with him on Radio Scotland. He was talking about just how shite the kit was but it was cheap as there was loads of army surplus stuff around after the war.

marcus
    Free Member

Dragons Back, Cape Wrath Ultra and Spine are all good challenges. I’lld say the Spine offers best challenge / ££ ratio.

Spin
    Free Member

That’ll teach me to be such a Wendy about my sluff scares

Sluff (if that’s how it’s spelled!) shouldn’t be too much of a worry on spring snow unless it’s really heavy (rare) and catches up with you lower down.

whitestone
    Free Member

@thegeneralist – you are getting @spin and myself confused! Those definitely aren’t my tracks 🙂

dovebiker

I’ve completed the 66/150/300 events at Rovaniemi – I was originally down to the 150 on foot this year, but injury meant I had to drop down in distance and completed it on a bike.  When I did the 300, I had the luxury of decent night’s sleep in a shelter, whilst those on foot were just bivvying down for 2-3 hours per night, sometimes in the forest.  The sense of camaraderie and achievement you get from the winter events far exceeds the ‘corporate’ feel you get with IM’s.

Spin
    Free Member

far exceeds the ‘corporate’ feel you get with IM’s.

What’s an IM? Edit: Iron Man of course doh!

Spin
    Free Member

the ‘corporate’ feel you get with IM’s.

I’m not a triathlete but my wife has done a few IM events and I find the whole money making circus pretty depressing. At Bolton last year they wanted me to pay something like £11 to get into the prize giving to see my wife get her age group 3rd place prize.

jekkyl

20 **** in one day?

Keep your eyes closed for the longest period possible.

No washing or change of clothes for a week?

See how long you can hold a poo in for.

or all of the above! Think BIG!

fergal
    Free Member

Why not take youre mountain biking to the  next level and ride Spooky wood.

docgeoffyjones

Get so good at yoga you can look at your own bum hole.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘Setting personal challenges – what next?’ is closed to new replies.