Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Serious side to side play in BB – it's gone, right?
  • timnwild

So there’s at least .5 cm sideways play in the cranks, and I’m not ashamed to say that I’m a rubbish mechanic (although I’m trying to learn) so I’m assuming that means the BB is gone, but just wanted to check – would that mean replacing the whole BB, or just the bearings?

If I am replacing it, why such a leap between prices? Shimano coming in at around 25-30, but Hope closer to 100.

Thanks

Jamie
    Free Member

What BB is it? If it’s a HT2, you might just need to tighten up the preload adjuster:

http://www.cyclistno1.co.uk/features/maintenance/shimano-ultegra-hollowtech-ii-crank-service.htm

clubber
    Free Member

Possibly. From the BBs you mention though I guess that you have an external BB type chainset in which case the other possibility is that your chainset isn’t properly tightened and the crank has loosened off along the axle allowing side to side play between the BB faces.

Where are you measuring .5cm? at the pedal or at the BB?

You’re replace teh whole BB if it’s Shimano. If it’s hope I think you can replace just the bearings.

JRTG
    Free Member

Tim,

Yep it needs replacing, and its the whole unit probably (only very few can or are worth replacing just the bearings).

Shimano xt external are about £30 and worth it. Hope look fancy and have similar bearings, £100 one is probably ceramic bearings which last a little longer.

Tool is £10 and its an incredibly simple job to replace.

Give me a shout if you need a hand.

Gaz

timnwild

Cheers folks.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Serious side to side play in BB – it's gone, right?’ is closed to new replies.