Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Seized cleat disaster
  • ratherbeintobago

Have managed to seize a cleat bolt to the point where it’s not moving. Have tried all usual measure including drilling. Any suggestions?

Alternatively has anyone got a spare SPD backplate from a pair of Specialized shoes they don’t need?

mos

Center Punch in the flange between the socket and the perimeter. Then tap it round. You may need to use a drill to create an indentation sufficient to allow the centre punch to achieve sufficient purchase.

peteza
    Free Member

I’m a bit confused that drilling hasn’t worked – use a big enough drill bit to take the head off the bolt, then either molgrips to remove the stud or just flip the plate. It’s a bit of a pain to do but should work and not damage anything.

oldnpastit

Easy out, if there is anything left of the head? From your nearest screwfix.

theotherjonv

people scoff at me every time I say this but I take 30s to back off the bolts after every ride – I know over time it adds up but easier to budget half a minute rather than get to this where it takes ages to resolve, if you can resolve.

ratherbeintobago

@peteza Done that now, have filed the head down enough that it’s flush with the sole.

Molegrips didn’t work, unfortunately.

I reckon (like seatposts) this is one of those jobs that needs doing every so often rather than just when the cleats are worn out.

peteza
    Free Member

Nice one.

I had a couple seize when I started riding, quickly learnt to grease the bolts and haven’t had an issue in over a decade. No need to back bolts off every ride or anything like that.

tthew

grease the bolts and haven’t had an issue in over a decade.

This is my solution too, not much help to the OP now though. Plus making sure the hex is meticulously clean before removal and using a good quality Allen key.  

Can you even get easyouts that small @oldnpastit ?

theotherjonv

Just got back from a ride and timed myself (counting in my head) and it was more like 10 seconds. 

grease the bolts and haven’t had an issue in over a decade.

Until for some reason one day you will

footflaps

Never had a cleat bolt I couldn’t easily undo and been using SPDs since they first came out in the late 80s / early 90s (can’t quite recall, road ones where white and purple, MTB were massive, black and weighed about 3 kg each pedal).

I’ve released a fellow riders stuck bolts and all that needed was an impact driver which freed them instantly.

bigyan
    Free Member

If you want overkill I used a carbide endmill in a milling machine to remove a seized cleat bolt once. Customer had totally stripped out the head during their removal attempts.

lesgrandepotato

Don’t just drill the head off. You need to deal with the shaft as well. Drill that down with a drill just smaller than the threads and peel the remnants out 

bitmuddytoday
    Free Member

Doesn’t the backplate have 2 positions? Drill out the bad bolt and use the other set of holes? Turn plate around if needed to get the right position.

dave_h
    Free Member

It sounds like a great excuse to buy a new pair of shoes to me.

mark_rich
    Free Member

In the past I’ve carefully cut through the cleat using an angle grinder with a thin blade leaving the bolt with 2 flat sides on the head then put an adjustable spanner on and wound it out, never fails.

Might need to cool the metal down with some water part way through so it doesn’t melt into the sole.

freeagent
    Free Member

Not want you want to hear right now, but going forward, use loads of copper grease on the bolt threads

boblo
    Free Member

Yup, new fancy carbon shoes. The ‘only’ correct answer… 😁

Sorry, another Copper Slip used here.

I removed a pair of Egg Beater cleats the other day from a pair of boots that are nearly 20 years old. Back of the wardrobe/minimal winter use only. 3 were easy, one awkward. A couple of days of Plusgas and a very new Wera key had it out without too much pain.

The soles fell off during the next ride so not all good news 🙃

ratherbeintobago

I do kind of need new shoes (the main ones are a pair of very bright green Spesh 2FO Cliplites) but if I can get past the winter…

There were some nice Fizik ones…

@boblo
    Had similar with a pair of Defrosters – upper came off, sole stayed on the bike 🤦‍♂️

TiRed

I have a nice pair of carbon soled shoes exclusively for indoors now after one bolt would not come out and now the whole fitting just rotates.

boblo
    Free Member

I know it’s a bit of a digression but I’ve just ordered some new Shim MW5 winter jobbies with the deluxe attached soles to replace my old flappers. Less than £100 of your post Brexit British pounds to my door.

I’ll remember to Copper Slip the cleat bolts to avoid potential future embarrassment…

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.