Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Seized bottom bracket – any advice on removing?
  • red_dread
    Free Member

I'm worried. I've got a 2002 S-Works M5 hardtail frame and the ancient XT cartridge bottom bracket is well and truly seized in it. I've tried using the correct tools and as much force as I dare, and I'm worried that something else might give before it does.

Has anyone tried pouring a kettle of boiling water on a BB shell to cause a bit of expansion? I can't imagine this doing any harm, but thought I'd just check.

I've already tipped a load of teflon lube down the seat tube to try and get to the bearings from the inside. Still it won't shift.

Anyone got any thoughts? I can't afford to sacrifice this frame!

wwaswas

you are undoing it the correct way – the drive side thread is reversed?

Macavity
    Free Member
    cynic-al
    Free Member

Alu on alu yes?

I've heard acid (coke, vinegar) can dissolve teh oxide that alu usually forms.

llama

tool in bench vice, frame on top?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Hot water will do no harm and might expand it enough to help – or real heat from a hot air gun but that will knacker the paint.

extractor tool bolted up into place, tool in vice and turn frame.

wwaswas

also – use a crank bolt and a washer to hold the tool on and then as above in a vice and use the frame to swing on.

foxyrider
    Free Member

+1 for vice and bolt up the BB removal tool onto the ?octalink axle 🙂 then spin the frame as you'll get loads of torque 🙂

Macavity
    Free Member
    Speshpaul

Hot water (cold morning?) plus gaz, diesel even. Give the BB a few shape smacks with a hammer (put one side on the floor -hit the other so the frame is unloaded)
    bench -vice – work it back wards and forwards.
    It will ive in the end.

the-muffin-man

3ft of scaffolding pole over the handle of the ratchet usually does it for me!!!

You can't beat leverage! 😀

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Seized bottom bracket – any advice on removing?’ is closed to new replies.