Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • Scottish motorway speed limits
  • ratherbeintobago

Does the hive mind know why Scottish motorways are signed as ‘70’ rather than white circle/black stripe?

mattyfez

Circle /black stripe is national speed limit, normally 60mph.
    That’s a UK thing.

ratherbeintobago

National speed limit on motorways is 70 though, and you see the black stripe sign eg. at the end of roadworks.

You don’t see ‘70’ signs in England AFAIK.

mattyfez

For smaller roads.. The limit on M roads is 85 70.

ratherbeintobago

Yes, but in Scotland they’re signed as ‘70’ and in England they’re signed as national limit – I was curious whether there was a reason for this.

You can see this in action going M74-M6.

Mat

Actual motorways? Or M rounds that have turned into dual carriageway A roads?

centralscrutinizer
    Free Member

It’ll be a max of 110 km/h on the signs in Scotland soon 🙂

ebygomm
    Free Member

I looked it up once after driving through Glasgow, I forget the detail but basically different regulations apply to motorway speed limit signage in Scotland

ratherbeintobago

Actual motorways? Or M rounds that have turned into dual carriageway A roads?

The M74/A74(M)/M6 is a continuous run of motorway from Glasgow to Rugby, but even when it wasn’t, I remember seeing ‘70’ signs on the M8

It’ll be a max of 110 km/h on the signs in Scotland soon

Aye, and in NI. Should really be in all of the UK now, given that we started metrication before the rest of the commonwealth, and unlike the rest haven’t finished it.

Greybeard
    Free Member

I’ve been told that 70 signs are necessary if there are street lights, because the National Speed Limit would be 30, so 70 has to be signed specifically. Do the Scottish Motorways with 70 signs have street lights – I can’t remember?

phil5556

I’ve often wondered why too, I noticed when I moved to Scotland.
    Never remembered to actually look it up though.

molgrips
    Free Member

I thought they were just reminding you.

spooky_b329

I’ve seen it in Wales aswell, 60mph signs on A roads.

It’s strange as unlike a 30/40/50, the NSL varies based on vehicle, so the signs are misleading

CraigW
    Free Member

Ask the road geeks on Sabre. Seems it has been discussed there a few times. https://www.sabre-roads.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=39865

Seems it is different regulations for motorways in Scotland, and they don’t define a speed limit. So it needs to be signed.

Kahurangi

I’ve been told that 70 signs are necessary if there are street lights, because the National Speed Limit would be 30, so 70 has to be signed specifically

For a dual carriageway (i.e. with a central meridian) NSL is 70 mph for a car, 60 for a HGV, etc. (90 for an Audi).

a 70 limit would apply to all vehicles, including HGVs, which I was I understand the reason to be.

TheBrick
    Free Member

It’ll be a max of 110 km/h on the signs in Scotland soon

Should round it up to 120 km/h to be in line with most of Europe. (Seems to vary from 120 – 140 km/h [excluding the “free” parts of the autobahn in Germany] IME).

frankconway

Motorways – in Scotland?
    Whoever knew?

77ric
    Free Member

We travel from the English north to Glasgow semi-regularly, now I’ve no idea why it is specifically different to England, but mrs77 insists on doing the driving (suits me fine) and she reckons she is happy to do 85-90 in the southern lands but religiously sticks to 70 on Scottish motorway.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

she is happy to do 85-90 in the southern lands but religiously sticks to 70 on Scottish motorway.

Sensible, always seems to be way more traffic cops/temp cameras set up once the M6 becomes M74.

I just always assumed it’s because the M8 going through Glasgow is a bit of an abortion, with exits off lane 3 etc, and because we’re raving alcies up here, we need all the signage we can get. 😉

P20

I just assumed it was a help for tourists that Scotland had decided on.

ratherbeintobago

Sensible, always seems to be way more traffic cops/temp cameras set up once the M6 becomes M74.

For balance, there was a temporary van on an M6 overbridge in Cumbria when I was coming south 2 days ago, and one of my friends got done near Penrith.

ceept

You don’t get speed awareness courses in Scotland, there are loads of plod on the M74 and they don’t seem so tolerant of 90MPH German-wagons, so I think most people slow down a little when heading North.

tjagain

NOt driven that way for years but I always found it the other way – no cameras on the M74. loads on the M6

ratherbeintobago

You don’t get speed awareness courses in Scotland, there are loads of plod on the M74 and they don’t seem so tolerant of 90MPH German-wagons, so I think most people slow down a little when heading North.

My mate ended up on a speed awareness course in Carlisle.

What’s the point of speeding, anyway? Even aside from the legal/environmental reasons, it barely saves any time anyway.

Should round it up to 120 km/h to be in line with most of Europe. (Seems to vary from 120 – 140 km/h [excluding the “free” parts of the autobahn in Germany] IME).

I think the French were considering dropping their autoroute limit from 130 to 115 (=71.5mph) though, and they’ve recently reduced the N-road limit from 90 to 80.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

NOt driven that way for years

That’ll be why then….

seosamh77
    Free Member

Coming up the m74 yesterday, average speed for most seemed to be about 85 tbh.(from abington up to hamilton)

There was a section signed for 40 just before Larkhall, which everyone just completely ignored*! 😆

*not me, I was just an observant passenger!

philjunior
    Free Member

What’s the point of speeding, anyway? Even aside from the legal/environmental reasons, it barely saves any time anyway.

Why not just drive at half the speed limit? You’re right that there’s nothing to be gained trying to go fast with traffic in the way, but it’s really quite simple maths to find out how much time you save by going at, say, 20mph above the limit.

Or to put it another way, why not just save fuel by going at 50 on the motorway?

perchypanther
    Free Member

What’s the point of speeding, anyway?

To humiliate the poor in their Dacia Sanderos?

I despise the poor.

philjunior
    Free Member

NOt driven that way for years

That’ll be why then….

To contradict you all, I find a fairly steady distribution of mobile cameras between the M6 in Cumbria and the M74, and I assume up and down that section of road quite often.

What I really want to know now though is whether an incorrectly signposted motorway in Scotland would have no speed limit or a 30mph limit.

tuboflard

To humiliate the poor in their Dacia Sanderos?

Slightly off topic but I remember a special lane on the causeway between Saudi Arabia and Bahrain which you have to buy a special permit for to avoid the poorer drivers (guess it’s all relative out there). I’m surprised it hasn’t caught on elsewhere in the more affluent corners of the planet.

gecko76

Elsewhere in Scotland (not a motorway)

chrisdw
    Free Member

For a dual carriageway (i.e. with a central meridian) NSL is 70 mph for a car, 60 for a HGV, etc. (90 for an Audi).

a 70 limit would apply to all vehicles, including HGVs, which I was I understand the reason to be.

This was always my take on it too.

johndrummer
    Free Member

I’ve been told that 70 signs are necessary if there are street lights, because the National Speed Limit would be 30,

NSL would never be 30, it is 70mph for cars on a dual carriageway, 60mph on a single carriageway. Slower for trucks, cars with trailers, etc. If there are Street lights it’s 30mph for everyone unless there are speed limit repeater signs on the street lamps, or it’s a motorway (blue signs rather than green or white)

Can you tell i’ve Recently done a speed awareness course? Oops

GavinB

For a dual carriageway (i.e. with a central meridian) NSL is 70 mph for a car, 60 for a HGV, etc. (90 for an Audi)

Don’t think that’s right:

NSL is 70mph for cars, 60mph for LGV and 50mph for HGV

Speed limits

Kahurangi

LVG, HGV, yep your’re right.

Thanks for the info graphic too.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Nobeer, you forgot to mention the speed limit that changes with the area code, 50mph for 0141, 60mph for all suburbs and 70mph where carrier pigeons take over.

I also noticed the 70 sign on the Edinburgh shitty bypass and pondered when the last time was that anyone ever got close to that speed on that forsaken strip of hell.

breadcrumb

My mate ended up on a speed awareness course in Carlisle.

Which is still in England last time I checked, unless those Scottish thugs have been on the bucky and started up again?

globalti
    Free Member

We are also going regularly from home to Glasgow at the moment and hiring cars to drive north. There are still Police cars patrolling the roads in Scotland and even squadrons of Police motorbikes on the A roads at weekends, which surprises us because you can drive for days on English roads without seeing a Police car.

ratherbeintobago

Which is still in England last time I checked, unless those Scottish thugs have been on the bucky and started up again?

Someone was saying above that you don’t see cameras/traffic cars in Cumbria.

Sandwich

(90 for an Audi).

Only if very old or poverty-spec surely.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘Scottish motorway speed limits’ is closed to new replies.