Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 734 total)
  • Scottish independence- where do you stand?
  • Trekster

At least Scotland wouldn’t be in the EU (as I believe they would have to apply separately) and pay stupid amounts of money to subsidise foreign farmers and the like

Who is going to subsidise the Scottish farmers?

The EU subsidises lots if projects in Scotland(UK). When that funding source dries up where is Eck & Nic going to find the resources?
    What about our roads/infrastructure? All totally frecked………
    The mantra about “creating” 200,000 jobs will all be about increasing the civil service to run the country!!
    Look at all the centralisation/closures of public services that is happening at the moment. He can conveniently blame it on the Uk government/s but he is actually downsizing/future proofing himself in the hope that he is still in government come 2016.
    Are all the yes voters prepared for the increases in tax to pay for Ecks dream????

You may have gathered I am a no as is MrsT who works in one of wee Ecks quangos and sees the waste of money that his crew are currently presiding over. She is also aware of some potentialy huge cost of separation…

This will turn into the same issue that we currently face as the UK ie there will be a wealthy central belt and those of us in the South or North will(the minority)will be paying through the nose for their excesses 🙄

igm

In York. Born and (pretty much) bred in Glasgow though.

Having met wee Alex, I’d trust him as far as I could throw Eric Pickles.

I don’t get to vote (foreign soil and all – though Yorkshire is remarkably like Scotland), but I understand good majority of Scots are quite happy to be British – they’re just not English thank you (according to radio 4). Visit the municipal museum in Dublin, top floor, for some very similar views in the 50 years leading up to 1916.

Edit: GrahamS, some of Scotland and Wales are British as is Cornwall and (unsurprisingly) Brittany. England, generally speaking is not British, but AngloSaxon (or if you prefer Germanic). Happy to troll.

gordimhor

Isn’t it the case that the Central belt dominates Scotland too much under the current system trekster? Why notvote for a change to the system.? I for one would support any decentralisation agenda post independence. I support independence and therefore vote SNP, but after independence I may well change.

hairyscary

British/English.
    Living in Scotland.
    No vote from me.

Trekster

gordimhor – Member
    Isn’t it the case that the Central belt dominates Scotland too much under the current system trekster?

I would agree…

Why not vote for a change to the system.?

Rude to answer a question with a question but;
    Why should Eck and his cronies be any different to the rest of the UK politicians?
    +This;

Having met wee Alex, I’d trust him as far as I could throw Eric Pickles.

Not met the man but he comes across when being interviewed as an arrogant bully. He has already(allegedly) pre-positioned people(yes men)into departments ready for the “big day”
    Allegedly if you are head of a department and you are not in agreement with Eck & Nic you get shuffled out 🙄

ditch_jockey
    Free Member

Scottish, living in Scotland – big YES from me.

Main reasons – think we are capable of standing on our own two feet and tired of listening to all the negative crap getting spouted as a rationale for screwing the whole country over by the Tories. Since the population of Englandshire seem content to swallow whatever Cameron spouts while he asset strips the country for the benefit of his private industry chums, the only alternative seems to be to bail out before it gets any worse. If we vote No, we are going to get absolutely pumped in return – they’re already talking about renegotiating the Barnett formula so we get an even less back from what we contribute into the national pot.

ditch_jockey
    Free Member

Right on cue, Boris reminds us of what’s coming if we vote no…

Boris for PM

tiggs121
    Free Member

This is our chance to give ourselves and our children a chance to manage our country in a way we want.

A massive YES vote here.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Don’t be too sure that England is heavily pro-Union. as i’ve said i only know personally of three people – one of whom is a poster on STW and the other two transplanted Scots – who support the idea of Scotland staying in the Union. Anecdote is not always evidence but my experience is that quite a nmuber of English people want Scotland to leave the Union.

gordimhor

Trekster they might turn out to be just as bad as any government or the best thing since sliced bread. If we vote for independence then we’ll have the decisive say on who governs Scotland which we don’t have the moment. It’s bringing power a little bit closer to the people .
    I am not aware of any dissent within the SNP though I am not a member. Isn’t it normal in cabinet governmentfor ministers to have to follow the party line even if they disagree on one topic or another.

grum
    Free Member

Since the population of Englandshire seem content to swallow whatever Cameron spouts while he asset strips the country for the benefit of his private industry chums

🙄

Less than a quarter of the electorate voted Tory at the last election, so don’t tar us all with the same brush please.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

See what i mean about some people viewing all English people as the same?
    I have no doubt that the rise in pro-Independence thought in England is fueled in part by a percieved rise in anti English rhetoric from certain quarters, neither of which is particularly clever but i do think it is there all the same.

stanfree
    Free Member

Scots based in East Lothian , NO vote from me.

yossarian
    Free Member

See what i mean about some people viewing all English people as the same?
    I have no doubt that the rise in pro-Independence thought in England is fueled in part by a percieved rise in anti English rhetoric from certain quarters, neither of which is particularly clever but i do think it is there all the same.

So do I. There’s definitely a perception down here that what was considered a friendly rivalry between the nations has changed over the years. Friends and colleagues of mine have been discussing the yes/no vote and a common comment is that they have become aware over time of a genuine dislike that previously was thought to be friendly rather than serious. People I know have expressed surprise and disappointment about this – perhaps you could argue that it’s symptomatic of an insular and complacent attitude towards Scotland. Whatever the reason it definitely exists and I suspect that the English gutter press will fan the flames in the run up to the vote.

rebel12
    Free Member

Interesting how Alex Salmond has promised improved this, improved that, more money for this, more money for that. You have to ask where all this extra money will come from? Either it’s taking on huge extra amounts of debt, or upping taxes (a lot) but funnily enough I don’t really recall him mentioning this in great detail, which makes most of what he says a load hot air – just like most power hungry politicians. If the Scots vote yes and win, expect a load of broken promises.

I’m English, live in England and would vote no. I think that we’re stronger together and the Scots as part of the Union are part of a major global player, not the small, insular also-rans that they’d be resigned to after independence.

ahwiles
    Free Member

i would be sad if the people of Scotland voted for independance, but i understand why they might.

The government of Westminster doesn’t serve people any more than it serves pigeons. The chance to try something different* must be very tempting.

(*no ****ing tories)

Inbred456
    Free Member

Wife is Scottish but living in England. She would vote no and so would I. If you think there is any difference between any politician’s I’m afraid you’re deluded. We want less not more surely.

Spaceman
    Free Member

Scottish, live in Scotland big overwhelming YES for me.
    Other half is from Yorkshire lived here 12 years and will be voting YES as well.

I lived in Leeds for over a decade have nothing against the English it’s being ruled from Westminster where all decisions are taken to favour and pander to middle England that I don”t like.
    Scotland has been subjected to and suffered from a Tory government for about half of my time on the planet despite never voting for them, if Scotland’s vote hadn’t counted in the British election for all of that time England/Wales would still have elected the same government which shows the lack of a voice the Scots have had at Westminster.

The Tories to me are the biggest con ever inflicted on the people of England, they represent the rich and priviliged, anyone from outwith this group who votes for them is an idiot. The tories would have the lower classes reduced to serfdom if they thought they could get away with it, their recent attacks on the poor, sick and unemployed bear witness to this. Scots have rejected this Tory vision and are still suffering from its implementation, the only way out of theis cycle of Tory rule is independence. (New Labour have lurched so far to the right to match the Tories in middle England that they are not far off being just as bad, there is no real left of centre thought in English politics any more.)

I’m very pro European and fear the rise of UKIP and a growth of anti EU feeling in the South is a massive threat to our EU membership. The ‘South’ seems to be lurching towards the right and becoming more anti-immigrant/forigner, not really a culture I want to be part of.

mogrim

The government of Westminster doesn’t serve people any more than it serves pigeons. The chance to try something different* must be very tempting.

(*no ****ing tories)

Up to now Scotland hasn’t had complete control over its finances, when it does I wouldn’t be at all surprised if a large proportion of the population (say around half) decide that lower taxes are preferable to social services – give it 10 years and Scotland will have its own Tory party in government.

neninja
    Free Member

English living in England and think an independent Scotland would be a mistake.

Its been a big SNP/Alex S ego building and power trip over the past few years.

There is virtually no sensible reason to break from the Union and most of the case made by the SNP is total bunkum.

piemonster

Yes and a No in this house.

Not convinced STW is reflective of the Scottish electorate tbh. Might be wrong.

As a side note, I don’t knowingly know any pro Union English. But I know plenty that would are happy enough for the Scots to leave. It seems mainly borne from fatigue at being tarred as the nasty old English. Which in general is a myth as far as I can tell, but it’s something fairly commonly perceived. I do wonder sometimes if anti English sentiment is greater in some regions of Scotland than others, I very much suspect so. That said, the only occasion where I’ve felt my place of birth an issue was when an SNP guy came to the door. Although Scotroutes hypothesised at the time that was more an issue with bad breath. The git.

Bencooper, interesting you should be semi seriously considering emigrating. I know of three households considering the same if Scotland votes Yes. (Not mine btw) 2 Scottish, 1 English just for the record.

winston_dog
    Free Member

wealthy central belt and those of us in the South or North will(the minority)will be paying through the nose for their excesses

+1

I’m from NE England, now live in the SE. Outside of London, it isn’t as different from the North as the media and some people would have you believe.

I have lived in the Scottish Central Belt and worked in a lot of the Highlands and Islands of Scotland.

The Scottish Central Belt has more in common with London than, for example, the Orkneys.

Pigface
    Free Member

If Scotland does vote to go doesn’t that condemn the rest of us to life under the Conservative yoke?

yossarian
    Free Member

‘Scotland does vote to go doesn’t that condemn the rest of us to life under the Conservative yoke?’

for a few more years, yes. It may force labour and the lib dems to properly differentiate themselves from the tories though. Or just move closer I suppose.

gordimhor

Rebel 12 you’ll find there is sn economic case for independence achieved by not paying for trident, and growing th economy therefore increasing the tax take. As for being insular ….Ukip aren’t doing too well here.
    Inbred456 yep a vote for independence will result in fewer politicians .

unknown
    Free Member

Its been a big SNP/Alex S ego building and power trip over the past few years.

You don’t have to like the man but this is misguided at best. Salmond leads a party that’s been votes into power at the last 2 Scottish elections, and who clearly campaigned that a vote for the SNP was a vote for a referendum. We as a country made a choice to have this debate and decision, don’t dismiss that as the ego of a single man.

There’s a lot of ignorance on this thread, all of those saying independence doesn’t stack up have read the 600+ page blueprint from the yes campaign (which is not just SNP) I assume? You’d do well to take a balanced viewpoint, press and politicians on both sides are unlikely to be telling the truth.

For me the economic arguments are a sideshow, I’d crawl over broken glass to vote yes. And it’s not England, that’s another smokescreen, it’s the UK I don’t want to be a part of. Put it this way, if you pool resources with your neighbour you could love together in a bigger house, but if their family is bigger they’ll dominate and you’ll have to put up with all their bad habits. Wouldn’t you want to have your own front door and make your own rules, even if it cost you a bit more?

ahwiles
    Free Member

…growing th economy therefore increasing the tax take…

easier said than done.

gordimhor – Member
    …Ukip aren’t doing too well here [Scotland]

ukip aren’t doing well in England, they’ve exactly zero MP’s, why they get any airtime is a mystery*.

(*maybe because there’s a hope UKIP support will reduce the tory votes)

Peyote
    Free Member

English Midlander living in the SE of England, France is nearer to me than Scotland, I know very little about the detail and don’t really consider it will affect me in the slightest. I don’t get the opportunity to vote and don’t really mind either way anyway.

Let the population who live there decide, like Gibraltar and the Falklands!

grum
    Free Member

We’re semi-seriously considering emigrating if Scotland doesn’t get independence.

Where to?

patriotpro
    Free Member

Think about the possible extremes there though:

– Scotland votes massively in favour of leaving, but the rest of the UK votes to keep them against their will.

– Scotland votes massively in favour of staying in The Union, but the rest of the UK decides to turf them out.

Neither of those outcomes sound very palatable.

Good points there. There are ways around that however in that the votes stats aren’t declared, the result is, but not the ‘split’ of votes. E.g the results are published – 70% of Britain, which they a re part of at the moment, votes in favour and 30% against.

In the views of the resident Scots, what are your reasons for independence anyway?

oldbloke
    Free Member

Well, born NI but living Scotland for nearly 30 years. Voting NO for reasons mentioned in other threads.
    Wife Scottish, voting NO, mainly because of what her cousin in the SNP has told her about the party and Alex Salmond

theteaboy
    Free Member

unknown – Member

Put it this way, if you pool resources with your neighbour you could love together in a bigger house, but if their family is bigger they’ll dominate and you’ll have to put up with all their bad habits. Wouldn’t you want to have your own front door and make your own rules, even if it cost you a bit more?

My understanding of a quick scan of the 600+ pages is that you would get your own front door but you’d be asking to share the electricity, the chequebook and the landlord and deferring any decisions on what you waould actually want to do with these until some unspecified point in the future.

What’s being proposed is half-arsed at best. Alec has got his way on the referendum but has lost all that boldness he appeared to have because he knows that the majority of people are a bit scared of the prospect of going it alone.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

all of those saying independence doesn’t stack up have read the 600+ page blueprint from the yes campaign (which is not just SNP) I assume?

Well probably half of it! including the subterfuge (no nukes (page xii) except the oneswe don’t know about, cough, hidden much later), the confused arguments regarding independence (sic) which involves giving up control of monetary policy to the RUK, giving up fiscal policy (at least in the case of corporation tax) to the rest of RUK etc….some independence?????

You’d do well to take a balanced viewpoint

Certainly not from Scotland’s Future that IS for sure.

If we vote No, we are going to get absolutely pumped in return – they’re already talking about renegotiating the Barnett formula so we get an even less back from what we contribute into the national pot.

Not sure about that but certainly if you vote yes. Salmond loves to think he can have his cake and eat and that riles in RUK to the same extent as the lack of true representation from W’minster riles Scots. But in the (unfortunate IMO) case of a yes vote then yes the gloves come off and it will beocme a bare knuckled fight. Salmond will fight hard for Scotland’s best interests and RUK will do the same. But the latter will not let him get away with the “current cake and all strategy” nor yesterday’s threat to default on Scotland’s debt. * That WILL BE nasty and negative and will expose some of the fairy stories in the arguments presented yesterday (eg *). It will also be a shame for Scoltand and for RUK.

Still the Spanish PM is weighing in with his expected level of support. Of course, that part is all covered in the 667 pages!!! Expect wee eck to ignore the conclusion but focus on anohpther European leader describing him as the President of Scotland already. Does EIIR know yet?

Leaving aside people’s stances, the “negativity stuff” is interesting. It’s pretty hard not to be negative if you are defending a NO position. But I would be feeling pretty confident in the yes campaign. Ignoring all of Salmond/Sturgeons lack of joined up analysis, there is a major trump card. The will of the Scots that will rise with a successfully C’wealth Games and Ryder Cup etc and will give a real boost to sense of Scottish pride at just the right time for the YES camp. Expect a strong YES swing closer to the vote.

bencooper
    Free Member

We’re semi-seriously considering emigrating if Scotland doesn’t get independence.
    Where to?

This is the problem – herself has suggested Scandinavia.

People who say we need fewer politicians not more of them haven’t really thought through what the word “independence” means 😉

5thElefant
    Free Member

I’m English with Welsh ancestry with a wife brought up in Scotland with a Scottish father and English mother, living in Wales.

Splitting this mixed up little island just to make more jobs for politicians isn’t something that I’m in favour of.

On the plus side it’ll mean the end of Labour and a competition as to who can offer the lowest corporation tax.

So, whatever…

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Isnt there a bloody beat elephant standing in the middle of the room here, waking its tail, stamping its feet and blowing through its trunk? IMO one of the reasons why Scotland’s Future is a disppointment is the fact that it is not a manifesto for independence at all. It seems to me far more of a manifesto for devo-max. At that’s the crux, the thing that so many (including Salmond?) really want is not being voted on. Pity there isn’t a rewind button.

grum
    Free Member

This is the problem – herself has suggested Scandinavia.

Scandinavian countries have been steadily eroding their liberal credentials from what I’ve read. Probably still streets ahead of us though.

I’d agree that Devo Max is probably what most people want. Why isn’t it an option?

dazh

Geordie exile living in Manchester here. I’m torn on this one. One one hand I hope they vote yes and make a success of breaking away from the farce that has become British politics, and if I had a vote I’d definitely vote yes. However for purely selfish reasons part of me wants them to vote no so it doesn’t doom everyone outside of the south east and northern shires to perpetual tory government.

What I think is most interesting is how a yes vote will affect the politics of north v south. The north basically puts up with the status quo because every now and again we get a labour government who tip the balance the other way for a short time (or at least they attempt to). WIth Scotland gone that’s not going to be possible any more so the same issues you now have with Scotland v Westminster will move south and become North England v Westminster, and if Scotland actually makes a success of it, how long before the north of England wants to join them?

grum
    Free Member

If Scotland does get independence I’m up for a serious campaign to see if the North of England can join an independent Scotland (United Kingdom of Scotland and Northern England? 🙂 ).

I realise it’s very unlikely though.

5thElefant
    Free Member

That would be awesome. Everything North of Birmingham please!

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 734 total)

The topic ‘Scottish independence- where do you stand?’ is closed to new replies.