Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Alternative to SRAM XX1 chains
  • stewartc
    Free Member

As above, since going XX1 I am breaking my chain frequently and was wondering if there is an alternative to the standard SRAM 11 speed chain?

Chainline
    Free Member

Shouldn’t be breaking regularly. HT or FS? Make sure the right length on FS. Have you spoken to Sram about it..

br
    Free Member

tbh I broke chains when I first started MTBing, not since I learnt some ‘technique’.

Correct length?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Chainline – Member
    Shouldn’t be breaking regularly. HT or FS? Make sure the right length on FS. Have you spoken to Sram about it..

Was it home fitted or shop? Either way I would be back to where I got it and raise with SRAM, not heard anything like that here and a lot running it. My mate the LBS owner would be on the phone to SRAM if someone came in with that sort of problem.

stewartc
    Free Member

Bike shop fitted and they can’t figure out what is happening, the chain seems fine and I not heard any issues with XX1 and Yeti SB66c’s.
    Currently have my 4th power link fitted, the last break literally saw a complete link just snap and go flying off into the bushes (never managed to lose a whole link before, they usually leave something left hanging in).
    Gear changes seem to be fine generally but each break is usually preceded with the feeling that the chain is slipping seconds before.

Managed to also ‘pop’ a seal on my new Pike a few weeks ago in the 2nd ride, maybe need to review my technique, never had these problems with Shimano or Fox.

Gee76
    Free Member

Was looking on mtbr and saw certain kmc x11 sl’s “may” work and also some folk say any 10spd works fine tho I’m bi concerned bout wear implications!.

Any better advice out there?.

vikingboy
    Free Member

hey b r, can you share what technique you learnt to avoid breaking chains? thx in adv

pbooker1995
    Free Member

I was working on a Demo Yeti SB95 at work last week. The mech hanger and mech kept snapping off despite doing the correct procedure to set chain length. Turned out that the chain grew loads more than many other bikes. Didnt need to take any links out of a brand new chain.

To set it correctly i had to take the shock out and set the chain length when the rear suspension was fully compressed.

Just an idea but this could be your problem.

HTH 🙂

Gee76
    Free Member

Good point on. Think the drawn instructions I got detail that very consideration!

stewartc
    Free Member

Cheers, PB, will try that later.

Chainline
    Free Member

Very good point. Decompress the rear shock and fully confess the rear FS. Then set it. Worth a go.

ChrisI

stewartc – Member

Bike shop fitted and they can’t figure out what is happening, the chain seems fine and I not heard any issues with XX1 and Yeti SB66c’s.
    Currently have my 4th power link fitted, the last break literally saw a complete link just snap and go flying off into the bushes (never managed to lose a whole link before, they usually leave something left hanging in).
    Gear changes seem to be fine generally but each break is usually preceded with the feeling that the chain is slipping seconds before.

Managed to also ‘pop’ a seal on my new Pike a few weeks ago in the 2nd ride, maybe need to review my technique, never had these problems with Shimano or Fox.
    Check under the Switch eccentric and make sure the bump stop is there. My SB66c was missing it and when I went on a test ride the Switch managed to go from the usual 1 o’clock – 3 o’clock position to do a 180 and be back around the other way, which lengthened the chain growth massively! So much so when I was building it up the chain was the right length (via compressing a shock with no pressure in it) to a point where when I then came back after the Switch had 180’d that it would barely go on the largest cog. This is on a SB66c with XX1. If I had been in first gear when it popped around the wrong way (about 60-70% travel), it for sure would have bent the mech/hanger or snapped the chain.

Also chain growth is no more than my Stumpy FSR when the bumper is there, you need the shock in place to make it cycle correctly through the eccentric path, so let all the air out of your shock before checking for growth. I seem to remember max growth wasn’t in fact at max compression, it was about 70-80% of the travel.

Check the pump stop is there people 😉

ChrisI

For reference –

Switch eccentric right orientation:

Switch eccentric wrong orientation:

Missing bumper

*NOTE* Ironic QC sticker! 🙄

stewartc
    Free Member

Hi Chrisi, no, everything is fine with both my bump stop and the Switch eccentric is in the right position.
    Cheers for the feedback.

ChrisI

Thats good news then.

Do you know how many links the shop added to the chain when sizing it? It should be 2 extra links when at point of compression of max growth (seemed to be about 70% of travel for me) or 4 extra links if done from resting (ie not compressed). I sized mine by 2 extra links at max chain growth and no problems at all now it has the bump stop in place.

Bit of an odd one. You should be able to see whats happening by letting all the air out from the shock and cycling the linkage. The eccentric should swing from resting place in my first pic, up and back, then hit a point of inflection and come back down again to just passed the original starting point at full travel. The only way I can see chain growth being excessive is if its not swinging back forward again.

robj20
    Free Member

I sized mine by having it as long as possible but so the mech still has a bit of movement left, allows me to go up in chain ring by 2 rings before running into problems.

stewartc
    Free Member

Chrisi, will try to get time to get back to my LBS to look at this in more detail, sadly it will be a couple of weeks due to lack of free time and other commitments.

loughor
    Free Member

Stewart. Can jacky in mui wo do it? He’s done other yetis I know. You can put the bike on the DB-MW ferry, and he’ll meet it. Just a thought if you’ve no time

stewartc
    Free Member

Loughor, originally put on by Sunny in Yat Tung but passing Freindlys on Sunday so may get Jacky to look at it if I have time

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Alternative to SRAM XX1 chains’ is closed to new replies.