• This topic has 7,712 replies, 199 voices, and was last updated 3 months ago by irc.
Viewing 40 posts - 281 through 320 (of 7,713 total)
  • Scotland Indyref 2
  • seosamh77
    Free Member

teamhurtmore – Member
    it’s just the extremely right wing nature of English politics
    As I assume this was!!

It wasn’t, I pointed out the specific elements I’m talking about, it’s very much the tail wagging the dog.

Anyhow, I’m not going to get dragged into arguing specific points, I’ve made my thoughts clear above, they aren’t complete, are my starting point, and will develop as time develops, but that’s where I am at the moment. Take or leave them as you so choose. 😉

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Plenty of time yet Joe, plenty of time yet…. 😉

[goes off to check definition of “extreme”….]

seosamh77
    Free Member

There ye go 😉

extremely
    ?k?stri?mli,?k-/Submit
    adverb
    to a very great degree; very.

dragon
    Free Member

So, where’s nice to live in Scotland then?

Define nice?

seosamh77
    Free Member

gabriele zimmer german left, Eu needs to show solidarity with the people of scotland and ireland.

verhofstadt was also on about farages mission to become PM of England and Wales, take from that what you will…

i think we can be sure Scotland and Ireland are in the thoughts of the Europeans.

bigjim

As for the oil, it may be down, but we would be getting 100% of the revenue not a pittance.

If there’s one thing that really needs to end if we go through all this again, it’s this fantasising about oil & gas revenues. Hopefully most people realise by now the wild claims from last time round were made up.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Really?

😉

duckman

Hopefully most people realise by now the wild claims from last time round were made up.

From both sides; “the truth is out there” anybody?

aracer
    Free Member

Wasn’t he referring to Boris? (sorry, lost track of who said what)

aracer
    Free Member

More so Scotland from the reaction I saw, and as mentioned above – the vote in NI was hardly as conclusive, and they had speakers from both sides. Clearly there is a lot of division there (as usual) and it’s far from as simple a case as Scotland.

duckman

It is all a mess, and if there are demands for a ref in Ireland then Boris’s leadership campaign will leave him with blood on his hands. It was unpleasant up here at times, but it will be worse over the water.

seosamh77
    Free Member

aracer – Member
    seosamh77 » i think we can be sure Scotland and Ireland are in the thoughts of the Europeans.
    More so Scotland from the reaction I saw, and as mentioned above – the vote in NI was hardly as conclusive, and they had speakers from both sides. Clearly there is a lot of division there (as usual) and it’s far from as simple a case as Scotland.

yip nothing simple in the slightest.

igm

Political will triumphs over rules every time, because if there is the will rules can be changed.

I’d like to say a wise man once said that – but it was me.

philjunior
    Free Member

epicyclo – Member
    I think we can stop arguing about what the EU’s attitude to Scotland will be….

When I saw Sky news in the url, I was not expecting that headline!

igm

All the world loves the Scots. Well 99% of the world. What do you expect? We’re just lovely lovable people.

perchypanther
    Free Member

All the world loves the Scots. Well 99% of the world. What do you expect? We’re just lovely lovable people

….except me. I’m a bit of a prick sometimes*.

Apparently.

*mostly about pies with lids.

igm

Yeah but that 1%, a lot of them are in the UK. Particularly the pie lids faction. I mean have you ever argued with a Latvian about pie lids orbs Peruvian for that matter?

See we’re just lovable.

igm

Hmmm interesting speech. Leadership.

Appears that at Holyrood leadership is vision and actions, while at Westminster it’s a contest.

And though Scots, I’m no Scots Nat.

Come on Westminster show some leadership.

Junkyard
    Free Member

yes it was interesting she does at least seem to be dealing with the issues forming a plan, looking at options stating her opinion honestly and trying to build consensus whilst getting expert advice in uncertain times

meanwhile in Westminster/Englandshire….the labour party is committing hari kari and the only voice of leave we hear is the embarrassing wail of farage and the main players back pedalling from their pledges

perchypanther
    Free Member

Scottish politicians deliberately make tits of themselves and expose themselves to ridicule………….
    …..Still come out of it with more dignity* than Westminster politicians who are supposed to be doing their actual serious day jobs.

[video]https://youtu.be/pzp94ZfBMJs[/video]

*except the UKIP guy. He’s a bam.

duckman

hels – Member

Nicola has spoken:

http://news.scotland.gov.uk/News/First-Minister-s-statement-on-EU-referendum-25c5.aspx

Posted 40 minutes ago # Report-Post

What will be very interesting will be the reaction from both Ruth and Kezia…especially Ruth. There is no doubt that there is an interesting game going on just now in Scotland.

igm

Duckman – the reaction will be interesting. Sturgeon did everything but turn to them and say “Ruth, Kezia, there will be plenty of time to scrap over Scotland later – shall we work together for now to make sure it’s worth scrapping over?”

duckman

Agreed, but both opp leaders are going to be good barometers of their bosses “dahn sarf” which make the Corbyn wanted out theory reflected in how Dugdale responds. No doubt in my mind Ruth tank commander will ” work cautiously with Mrs Sturgeon to ensure the best deal for Scotland.”

igm

Nicola, Ruth, Kezia and Angela to define the new Europe?

duckman

Four riders of the apocalypse ( averted)

km79
    Free Member

Keiza didn’t hold back, she tore into Ruth today. Not sure there’s going to be much co-operation from Ruth and her team.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Donald Tusk said it would not be appropriate to meet Nicola Sturgeon at this time and said there would be no meeting with her tomorrow. I would be a little cautious in assuming the EU will welcome an approach from Scotland, they have the Spanish to consider

kimbers

Donald Tusk said it would not be appropriate to meet Nicola Sturgeon at this time

not officially , no

So some sort of federal EU status for Scotland and NI whilst still being part of UK

Edinburgh to become the new London financial hub?

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

I love the idea that the EU is currently thinking hard about a separate negotiation for Scotland in the middle of all this – and they claim that the English are arrogant and self-centred.

Calm down Nats, nothing is going to happen in a hurry and you are not top of the priority list however painful that may be.

With luck, this whole thing will come to a messy compromise and the wishes of the majority who voted to remain in the UK can still be met.

igm

Jamba – Spanish question versus stitching up countries that leave by being nice to the bits that don’t. Tough one. 😉

Plus everyone loves a Scot.

THM – the Europeans didn’t (past tense) want the UK to leave the Scots are a clearly defined part of the U.K. that wants to stay.
    Deals may or may not be done. Nothing arrogant there on either side – just two groups whose interests may coincidence. But still not arrogant really

Edit: actually if you post meant Scotland don’t do a deal that hangs the rest of the remainers out to dry I can see you point.

epicyclo

teamhurtmore – Member
    …Calm down Nats, nothing is going to happen in a hurry and you are not top of the priority list however painful that may be…

You know the nice thing.

To watch a debate in the EU parliament and not see Scotland treated with jeers and sneers, but instead see a standing ovation. What a contrast to Westminster where it’s like watching baboons.

aracer
    Free Member

The trouble is, they’re only a small part of the UK, they don’t come with the weight (and the money – are they even a net contributor?) which the UK provides. I’m certainly not against it, but being realistic it’s easy for the EU parliament to give a standing ovation to an SNP MEP, not so easy to do what Scotland want.

aracer
    Free Member

There was one on just before him…

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

THM – the Europeans didn’t (past tense) want the UK to leave the Scots are a clearly defined part of the U.K. that wants to stay.
    Deals may or may not be done.

We agree – I said the same thing a few pages back

But the first deal is more likely to be with the whole UK IMO

bencooper
    Free Member

and the money – are they even a net contributor

I think Scotland is pretty much even when it comes to the EU in terms of contribution vs what we get back directly.

duckman

The self appointed Scotophille’s mask nearly slipped there! I bet the original post had a dear leader or two edited out. We will see,there are a lot of things have happened in the last week that were not expected,on the scale of the out vote,small steps such as today barely register. I also havent seen anybody on here who actually has a vote( that I know of) setting time frames or doing anything other than whatiffery concerning Europe and any potential membership for Scotland. However I would rather have seen my politician get the reception ours did than the way Nige was met.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Tch, its “Scotophile” duckie, don’t they do spelling in schools these days? A nice Loganberry bon bon please.

So Ben, how would that calculation look ex-rebate?

Hmmmm …..remember be careful what you wish for and don’t trust politicians to do things in your interests. Another lesson from last week.

bencooper
    Free Member

I think discussing exactly what our EU contributions would be as an independent country is jumping the gun just a little!

Viewing 40 posts - 281 through 320 (of 7,713 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.