Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)
  • Scones
  • CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Clotted cream on first, then some top notch jam on top.

Anyone who puts jam on first is an evil wrongdoer.

That is all.

bravohotel9er
    Free Member

Ahhh…but, the Cornish would say that the Devonian method (that you prefer) is a way of hiding inferior cream!

jon1973
    Free Member

Cheese Scones with butter and Marmite.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I like them toasted with lard spread on 'em 🙂

_tom_
    Free Member

It tastes the same either way.

Drac

Butter only and maybe with some jam if only the highest quality of homemade strawberry.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Tssk, I thought you were a man of some standing.

Bing
    Free Member

Cornish is the only way.

bassspine
    Free Member

scone/butter/jam/clotted cream/scone

simonralli2
    Free Member

Deffo cream first for me but to be honest if someone else wants to have it the other way around I am all for free choice and that. But then I am not from Devon or Cornwall and my whole essential being does not hinge on being right about this one small topic.

john_drummer
    Free Member

never tried it the Devon way. Either way is probably as good as the other TBH. 'tis a marvellous thing

Philby

Depends whether its a fruit scone or a plain scone.

TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

If you put the jam on first, it's much harder to get the cream on.

nicolaisam
    Free Member

Jam first Cream on top,And i am Cornish

bravohotel9er
    Free Member

nicolaisam – Member

Cream first jam on top,And i am Cornish

You've got til' midnight to cross the Tamar!

nicolaisam
    Free Member

Just put it right :oops:,Bloody missus was talking to me as i was typing.

Zoolander
    Free Member

Prefer them with nothing on them. No butter, no jam and no cream – just scone .
    nom

valleydaddy
    Free Member

first

second

does this help????

elaineanne
    Free Member

its jam first !!!!!!! if you put cream on first (how you supposed to spread the **** jam ? lol thats just Irish i tell thee…
    hmmm could just eat one now after my muddy washed out ride this evening…

allthegear
    Free Member

Hey, it's a scone – with cream and jam, either way has to be good…

DrRSwank
    Free Member

Idiots! What matters is:-

Scones (as in Stones)

Scones (as in S-gones)

Scones (as in Scooooooones)

None of the above matters if you can't pronounce it properly!

crispybacon
    Free Member

Yer Tiz Capt'n ………… the proper (Cornish) way to have a scone, jam & clotted cream.

DrRSwank
    Free Member

Turn that upside down and it's the Devonshire way!

crispybacon
    Free Member

Turn that upside down and it's the Devonshire way!

Hey I'm from Cornwall so no chance of that happening is there 😆

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Hey I'm from Cornwall so I am totally wrong when the topic of scones comes up.

scaredypants

🙄

jam on both sides, cream in the middle

rhymes with gone

– you jokers need any more help ? 😉

bassspine
    Free Member

Zoolander – Member

Prefer them with nothing on them. No butter, no jam and no cream – just scone .

shudder. dry. dry. dry.

teagirl
    Free Member

As I'm married to a Cornishman, it'd be so wrong to have scones any other way than scone, jam and lashings of Rodda's!

trailmonkey

If you were having a jam butty, would you put the butter on top of the jam ? No.

Same rules apply with a cream tea which is exactly the same thing but with increased pretentiousness.

Any **** fruit in that scone and there'll be trouble too let me tell you.

DrRSwank
    Free Member

rhymes with gone

Wrong……

Scone (rhyming with Stone) half
    Thick layer of Strawberry Jam
    Thick layer of clotted cream

Repeat for other half

Job done.

Well, at least that's how BA serve them in business class flights to the US…..

spooky_b329

I just cut the scone (pronounced scon) in half, then I do cream then jam on one half, and jam then cream on the other :p

After paying £3.80 for a measly one scone cream tea in exmoor last week, (x4 people) we nipped down Tesco and bought 16 posh scones,(exactly the same as the finest ones, just a different sleeve with the writing rearranged) 250ml of proper clotted cream and some posh jam, and then stuffed ourselves for the next three days 🙂

I got a very disgusted look from the gf when we ran out of scones and I just dolloped jam on the leftover cream and hoovered it up 🙂 P.S There was nine of us on holiday so 16 scones wasn't as excessive as it sounds 🙂

scaredypants

I got a very disgusted look from the gf when we ran out of scones and I just dolloped jam on the leftover cream and hoovered it up P.S There was nine of us on holiday so 16 scones wasn't as excessive as it sounds

reckon that was disappointment – we had a cream tea thread a while back where I said that scones were just a vehicle for getting cream & jam into your face. Somebody (bez, maybe) corrected me & explained that this job is best suited to ladies' boobies. Was correct of course, and your burd knows it 😉

druidh
    Free Member

DrRSwank – Member

Scone (rhyming with Stone)

Tsk. It's from the gaelic sgonn and it rhymes with it's gone. Hence…

Q. What's the fastest cake in the world?
    A. 's gone

elaineanne
    Free Member

ok how about the fishcake/scone scenerio ? just to complicate things even more :lol:… do you call them 'fish-cakes' or 'scones'…..
    back in my day we called them 'scones'…'scone and chips' please ! (with scraps)… 😉 depending on which part of the country you lived in…
    then i came to live in the 'Home of Singletrack' land and it was fish-cake n chips please ! 😉

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

The thing that really matters is the quality of the component parts.

The scone (rhymes with stone) should be home made, and preferably eaten whilst still warm (Not hot) out of the oven, and consumed in the kitchen that still smells of scones (Rhymed with stones) for added effect.

Jam should be home made (No supermarket muck) from home grown strawberries

I admit you'll have to buy butter (Not marg) and cream unless you happen to keep cows.

It matters little which order it all goes on, it's the quality that counts for everything.
    🙂

thesurfbus
    Free Member

I am very passionate about scones (s-gones) and have two per day mid week, and up to 6 per day at weekends.
    Sultana Scones are my favourite, but we get some weird combinations at my work:- Cheese (9/10), Treacle (9/10), Marsbar (5/10), Apple and Cinnamon (6/10), Cherry (1/10).

Doug

hels
    Free Member

We deep fry them up here in Scotland.

But yes it's all in the ingredients. Home made scones with full fat milk and anchor butter, then eat them straight out of the oven, don't need to add anything.

Sponging-Machine
    Free Member

I'm from Devon but prefer mine Cornish as I like to spread my jam evenly across the surface. Perhaps I should Devon up and spread the jam across the top half?

GaryLake
    Free Member

What Elaine said! Spread the jam and then heap the cream on as thick as you dare.

Om nom..

MrWoppit
    Free Member

I reccommend…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘Scones’ is closed to new replies.