Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Schwalbe supergravity & rimpact inserts…
  • ta11pau1

Who in their right mind thought that combo would be a good idea?

Well, I did. oof. I feel (and look like) I’ve gone 3 rounds with Mike Tyson. I’ve sweated through 2 t-shirts, broken 2 cheap plastic tyre levers, and the rear tyre isn’t on yet with the insert in – with no tyre levers left I just couldn’t manage to get it the last tiny bit over the rim.

Going to have another shot tomorrow, firstly with a tube in to stretch it out a bit to start. I’ve managed to mount it without the insert by hand, no levers needed. With the insert I’ve done all the tricks I know, making sure the bead is in the middle, soapy water etc. The magic Mary and big Betty are sooooo damn stiff and thick compared to my previous Vittoria trail casing tyres (which are pretty tough, but feel like paper compared to the schwalbe tyres). Yet they’re only about 150g heavier than the 2.6 mazza front (which is actually more like a 2.45). Always been able to fit my previous tyres with inserts by hand with a bit of wrestling, but these are another level. I’ve reached the final boss.

On the plus side, once they’re fitted I’m going to be able to run some stupidly low pressures, and if I get a puncture then I’m certain I’ll have other major things to worry about, the tyre will be there least my worries!

stingmered

I had the same issues with the same tyre and insert combo… but not on all rims. Stans EX3 being a prime candidate. Even the LBS couldn’t get the tyre/insert on. Different rims since I’ve managed to do it with just my thumbs.

bikerevivesheffield

Surely the super gravity tyres are strong enough to not need inserts?

sharkattack

Could you use a hairdryer to heat up the tyres and make them more pliable? I did that recently with some incredibly tough MX tyres. They were as stiff as concrete and it made them a lot more flexible.

Mtb tyres could be folded up in a box and sat on the radiator for an hour.

BadlyWiredDog

Well, I did. oof. I feel (and look like) I’ve gone 3 rounds with Mike Tyson. I’ve sweated through 2 t-shirts, broken 2 cheap plastic tyre levers, and the rear tyre isn’t on yet with the insert in – with no tyre levers left I just couldn’t manage to get it the last tiny bit over the rim.

The Cushcore Bead Dropper tyre lever thing is expensive, but brilliant for shoving beads down into the well of the rim, which is what you need to do. This, combined with the right technique – watch some Youtube vids if you’re not sure – makes insert insertion pretty straightforward ime:

This thing: https://www.silverfish-uk.com/products/COMPONENTS/Tyres/CC80001_CushCore-Bead-dropper

the00
    Free Member

I made a video to help my girlfriend fit tyres when I’m away…

ta11pau1

Tbh, probably yes – however I started with the front wheel, if I’d done the rear first I probably wouldn’t have bothered with the insert in the front but it’d be stupid rubbing one in the front only.

I’m hoping that inflating using the tube then having one side of the bead seated will allow more room for the bead in the middle of the rim well, we shall see today!

VanHalen

laying the tyre on a bin and using a pokie thing (in my case a large paintbrush handle) to poke the bead under teh insert worked for me. it was a right bugger though.

chakaping
    Free Member

I’ve manage to ding a rim beyond repair with a Supergravity tyre and a standard Rimpact insert.

The Rimpact Pro offers much greater protection though.

ta11pau1

I’ve manage to ding a rim beyond repair with a Supergravity tyre and a standard Rimpact insert.

The Rimpact Pro offers much greater protection though.

I have a habit of clattering wheels on Scottish waterbars, my bunnyhop technique is somewhat lacking and will be even worse on the bike these are going on. I’ve got the pro rimpact on the hardtail.

In the end I’ll be glad of the inserts.

impatientbull

I find the bead clip on the Rotae Tech tyre lever really helpful.

https://www.rotae-tech.com/tyre-lever-set

continuity
    Free Member

Also Google maxalami nood lever. Has a special part for slowly working beads in.

the00
    Free Member

In the video above I use a large lever from Green Tyre. it’s a perfect shape for forcing the bead under the insert and in to the middle of the rim.

luket

I’ve got the same combo. What rims? On my XM481 it’s OK. Not easy but doable. Hard to unseat the bead to take it off as well. And hard to seal such a stiff tyre on my dinged rim. But then most other tyres weren’t that much easier. Maybe I should get one of those bead dropper tools too. If it genuinely makes a big difference then it’d be worth having for this job that can be a challenge.

I think so in the case of the Big Betty, but I sort of gradually got there after killing far too many weaker tyres, keeping the Rimpact in as I changed. And Supergravity Big Betty is a quite different beast to anyone else’s Enduro type casing tyre I’ve had, much more different than I expected. I feel like my previous tyres were mainly not tough enough for my use, but this is probably a step too far except for uplift days.

ta11pau1

In the video above I use a large lever from Green Tyre. it’s a perfect shape for forcing the bead under the insert and in to the middle of the rim.

Watched that, thinking “if only my tyres were that easy!”. You never see a video with a right barsteward of a tyre. And believe me I’ve done the right techniques.

The rear tyre is currently sat with an inner tube at 45psi to stretch it out a bit, will try removing one bead shortly. If that doesn’t work I’ll get a cushcore bead dropper ordered.

Rims are E13 carbon TRSR rims, 28mm internal width.

the00
    Free Member

That’s the trouble with good technique, it makes it look easy 😉 . Although I agree that some tyre rim combos are worse than others. This combo in the video I would score 6/10. Too hard to do just with hands.

peaslaker
    Free Member

That combo.

The first time I tried it I had the same experience. Getting the bead right down in the rim well made it easier on subsequent goes. Some rims make it harder than others – near impossible with Spank Oobah type.

willjones
    Free Member

Great summer on a magic mary SG (rear) without insert, including racing and 2 wks in the Alps. 95kg and 19 psi on a Hunt rim and no dings, flats or rolled tyres. Was impressed, but the tread didn’t last very long – understandable… Just changed to Michelins, with insert back in on the rear.

mboy
    Free Member

Where are you based ta11pau1…?

It’s a knack for sure, and rims sub 30mm don’t help with the Rimpacts in, but more than happy (it’s perfectly within my job remit) to show you how to do it first if you’re within my area, or put you in touch with one of my colleagues…

Super Gravity with a full sized insert is overkill for most though, even EWS level riders… A lot of guys are now running maybe an XC sized insert in the rear with an SG carcass, and either no insert in the front or going down to a Super Trail carcass on the front with a small insert in too… The problem with inserts is that, just like volume spacers in your fork/shock, they can have very detrimental affects on the compression characteristics of your tyre if you take up too much volume inside there!

Feel free to PM me…

Watched that, thinking “if only my tyres were that easy!”. You never see a video with a right barsteward of a tyre. And believe me I’ve done the right techniques.

The tyre in that vid is definitely not a super gravity carcass… 100%. The stiffer carcass does make it a lot more difficult to fit, but there are ways and means… I’ll have a chat with my colleague who’s a lot more camera friendly than I am, I do think we should probably make a video about this as it can be a problem for many users, and the immediate reaction is to blame the tyre manufacturer (it isn’t our fault, trust me! You’re introducing a foreign body inside the rim that wasn’t originally a consideration when the rims and tyres were designed)… But through trial/error/perspiration, we have pretty much perfected a technique that most people will manage with some decent tyre levers and a bit of perseverance.

the00
    Free Member

The tyre in that vid is definitely not a super gravity carcass… 100%.

No, it’s supertrail.
    When I have more time in a couple of weeks I’ll do another one with a new supergravity and an insert.

ta11pau1

Where are you based ta11pau1…?

It’s a knack for sure, and rims sub 30mm don’t help with the Rimpacts in, but more than happy (it’s perfectly within my job remit) to show you how to do it first if you’re within my area, or put you in touch with one of my colleagues…

Cheers, I’m down in Kent so probably nowhere near. I’ve got a cushcore bead dropper coming later today so should be able to sort it with that – if I still had the tyre levers I would have been able to fit it.

SG and inserts are probably overkill, however us mere mortals probably aren’t as good as placing the tyre/bike compared to EWS racers so probably need more protection 🤣

I’ll be chucking this bike down the usual lakes/Scottish rocky trails as fast as I dare so would rather not have to worry about slamming a carbon rim into a rock at speed!

willjones
    Free Member

“I’ll be chucking this bike down the usual lakes/Scottish rocky trails as fast as I dare so would rather not have to worry about slamming a carbon rim into a rock at speed!”

Ah! Insurance – yes, would be doing the same, particularly with the lower pressures you can run with more supportive tyres.

superfli
    Free Member

I make sure the rimpact is “inside” the tyre, rather than “on the rim”. I know some combos are harder than others, but with this technique, I dont find inserts any different to no inserts really.

Mintyjim

Bahhahahaha! Just wait until you try to get the tyre off after a successful installation. Impossible.

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

I struggled to dry-fit an insert. Once everything (including me) was covered in a film of sealant, it was a lot easier, but very messy.

ta11pau1

Bahhahahaha! Just wait until you try to get the tyre off after a successful installation. Impossible.

I needed the cushcore bead dropper to get the tyre off, with just a tube in it! I’ll be packing it with my tools on trips in case I need to remove a tyre.

Success with the bead dropper, not actually used to push the bead in as I’d already done that, but as a properly beefy tyre lever. Tight as a…. Extremely tight thing! But the cushcore tool got the job done. Just need to seat it then fill it with sealant – I’ll do that later/tomorrow.

BadlyWiredDog

Phew. Glad the Bead Dropper thing came in useful. I was dreading the post where you said that it was absolutely useless and a colossal waste of money, would have felt proper guilty 🙂

ta11pau1

Yeah tbh it was basically a tough tyre lever I needed, the bead dropper does that part well. The handle helps too, the cheap plastic levers you get in an old style puncture repair kit just aren’t man enough! Think I got them in an Xmas present a few years back, never used until yesterday!

Probably the best 22 quid I’ve spent! 🤣 Saved me hours of pain.

Also helped I think that I put the tyre in the sun this afternoon, I could feel it was a bit more pliable when warm.

militantmandy
    Free Member

I’ve sweated through 2 t-shirts

There is no other activity that causes me to sweat more than putting on a difficult tyre. I might start my own fitness craze. I have had some success with using three tyre levers, awkward but effective. The bead bro things will be on my xmas list.

ta11pau1

There is no other activity that causes me to sweat more than putting on a difficult tyre. I might start my own fitness craze. I have had some success with using three tyre levers, awkward but effective. The bead bro things will be on my xmas list.

Fitness, or torture? My hands are still hurting today from wrestling with these tyres.

All done, seated, sealed, rotors fitted.
    Tanwall – controversial, I know! 🤣

sharkattack

Oh no, all that effort and you’ve got beige sidewalls! ARGH.

Nah, it looks alright. I wouldn’t want you to swap them now.

ta11pau1

They’re going on a raw aluminium frame which I think is one of the few places tanwall looks good.

These are the new 2022 ‘bronze’ wall from Schwalbe which is a different colour to the 2021 or earlier versions which are a bit too yellow for me.

zerocool

Are you doing it inside in the warm with warm tyres? I’ve always found leaving the tyres inside to warm up helped. Can’t count the times I’ve sweated and cursed while struggling to mount cold tyres in the garage in winter

ta11pau1

Yeah I left the rear in the sun inside which helped a bit, definitely made it a bit softer!

singlespeedstu

You lot need to try fitting MX tyres with a mousse.

You’d think any MTB tyre and insert was a piece of piss after that.😉

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.