Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Schwalbe Procore…yes, no, meh?
  • smogmonster

Im considering getting the Procore system for my Fuel Ex, as I run low pressure 27.5+ tyres, and im always VERY conscious about the rims pinging off rocks and roots that are in plentiful supply in my area. Whats the general consensus out there…ideally from those who are, or have used it. Its seems a great idea in practice, but cant beat a bit of actual experience.

ratherbeintobago

Is it not heavy?

smogmonster

200grams apparently. Im 14 stone, a couple of hundred grams isn’t going to make much difference to me.

fitnessischeating
    Free Member

On all my bikes now…

Dropped my tyre casings down from full dh to exo.

My rims have thanked me, and I’ve dropped pressures down so getting better grip.

It’s expensive for what it is, but should be a 1 time purchase

nach
    Free Member

I don’t notice the weight. Went from flatting once a week on the hardtail to never again. The base of the valve is very flat and sometimes has a problem sealing, I solved this by cutting a couple of washers from an old inner tube. Installation is just enough of a faff to discourage me from changing tyres, so I tend to do that less now and just ride what I’ve got on.

BadlyWiredDog

200grams apparently. Im 14 stone, a couple of hundred grams isn’t going to make much difference to me.

The difference in weight between a WTB TCS Tough and TCS Light casing 2.8 Ranger is claimed to be around 250g, but you’re arguably going to get a better, more pliable ride with Pro Core.

Plus presumably it reduces the effective internal volume of the tyre by filling part of the space with the Pro Core inner tube, though what real world difference that’d make, gawd only knows.

I actually have a set of Pro Core downstairs, but since I fitted the Ranger Tough out back, I can’t be bothered to fit it. I’ll report back if I ever get round to it – I was considering going 2.5 Minion WT DHF front / Ardent 2.4 rear with Pro Core for winter, but I’ve ended up riding my old hack, Mudhuggered Mmmbop instead.

Northwind

The weight’s a red herring if it lets you go lighter on tyres or wheels.

I could be wrong but to me it feels like quite a rider specific option, I’m light and pretty accurate so I’m not hard on tyres- I can get away with exos and run the pressures I want to already. If I was having to add air or use heavier carcasses I’d definitely consider it. It’s a cool extra option though.

dizcostix
    Free Member

I’ve been running procore for over a year. As a heavier rider (100kg) I love it. It gives me rim protection and opportunity to run lower pressures which normal tubeless couldn’t for me because of burping issues. The weight of moving to procore from a conti mtb tube is almost comparable. In short, I love it.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

I’ve been running it on the Liteville 601 for at least 6 months now.
    Still can’t bring myself to go to any lighter carcass on the back though than a Super Gravity HD, as the failure mode has usually been a tear in the sidewall. Nothing that Procore would make any difference to.

Counter-intuitively perhaps, the real performance difference is more evident on the front for me. You can go very low for grip without burping or destroying the rim.
    Had a few initial problems with inner core deflating but just nipping the valve core up seams to have sorted that.
    Overall – Yes, I’m a big fan.

nach
    Free Member

I also found I need to put a bit of light oil on all the valve threads, as having that many threaded parts nested can get a bit sticky.

It’s not zero-faff, but the lack of flats has made it well worth it for me. I think Northwind is right about it being a per rider thing, and it probably depends a bit on how rocky your average trials are.

daver27
    Free Member

on the flip side i think its rubbish. i have a 27.5 set at home if you are interested in a bargain? haven’t used it in 6 months
    i have had more punctures with it than without. The problem is the innertube glues itself to the inner tyre and tears. contacted Schwalbe about it, but they stopped talking to me when I told them what the problem was. make of that what you will.

So if you want a fully functioning kit for a bargain price, hit me up. all you’ll need to do is get a spare inner tube.

ehrob

Much more low tech, but I’ve been running Huck Norris inserts, and I’m well impressed.

Using Maxxis Exo casings on AmClassic Wide Lightning rims and able to run front around 18psi and rear 22psi – though personally find that a bit squirmy so run a bit higher. Would not have the confidence to do so without the inserts.

Perhaps worth a look?

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Heavier casing tyres often rebound slower and actually give you more grip, lighter tyres can sometimes rebound faster and have a skatier feeling.

I don’t think procore would necessairly replace decent dual or 1.5 plies with nicely rebounding casing.

100mphplus
    Free Member

I run all three forms, (Pro Core, Deaneasy and ghetto using a road tub), on the DH and gravity enduro races bikes and can only say great things about the system.

No punctures all season, run 16.5 psi Fr and 19psi Rr whatever the terrain and grip is fantastic.

As mentioned above, countered 200g weight by using folding tyres instead of DH casing which generally saves 250-300g per tyre so overall you end up with a lighter wheelset.

jamesoz

I really like it, it is expensive however I cut a tyre on a stage at the ‘Ard rock and lost most of the air from the outer tyre but the inner tyre meant I finished the stage with little time lost and the rim undamaged. It paid for itself there and then as I didn’t need a new rim.

Also used it at the Mega with supergravity casings and not one issue all week wheneverybody seemed to be getting flats.

andyl
    Free Member

daver27 if the OP doesnt take you up on that give me a shout on PM. Curious to try it.

deanfbm
    Free Member

I use it so can use whatever tyres I want at whatever pressure I want.

Was stuck running super gravity at 30psi, good for bike park, not for natural heavy for pedalling. Issues revolve around burping (instantly pinch tube, must be bad luck now).

Now run lighter tyres at lower pressure (around 26psi) on the trend pattern I want.

Tyre compounds of the lighter tyres may be a bit more ping you and less damped, but feel the drop in pressure makes up for it.

Love the fact I can land on/sideways as I want and don’t have to care.

Lighter rims seem to be surviving too.

Setup is so easy too.

smogmonster

Cheers all, Dave27 I maybe interested… However I hadn’t heard of this ‘Huck Norris’ lark. Just looked at their website and seems quite interesting. Ehrob, would you recommend them?

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Schwalbe Procore…yes, no, meh?’ is closed to new replies.