Home Forums Chat Forum Samsung NC10 not connecting to wireless network

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Samsung NC10 not connecting to wireless network
  • aka_Gilo
    Free Member

Bought an NC10 netbook yesterday and have tried to get it connected to our Netgear router. Tried all the obvious things (obvious to a non-techy that is!) but no joy. My phone connects to the network ok and just been round to see Clubber of this parish and the NC10 won't connect to his network either.

I've tried connecting wired as well, but no joy.

It seems therefore the problem is with the NC10. Before I try ringing the Samsung helpline tomorrow has anyone got any ideas?

cp

does your nc10 run windows? Have you made sure the network capabilities are switched on, especially if you've been trying to do this whilst just running on battery?

clubber
    Free Member

It's running xp. There's certainly nothing obvious that's wrong.

avdave2

How old is the router and is the netbook wireless N. We had a couple of Lenovos at work that would not connect until I restricted them to G. Since then we've upgraded the firmware on the router and now they work quite happily. My own Eee pc wouldn't connect either at work until we did the upgrade. Wouldn't explain the fact that it's not working with a cable though.

aka_Gilo
    Free Member

Router is about 2 weeks old (wife's company router / pc as she works from home). Can't actually do anything to the router as don't have admin access, but as my phone connects with no problem at all I'm sure the problem isn't there.

Moses

Go into settings, and see if you can detect any networks…then try to connect to them?

aka_Gilo
    Free Member

It has no problem detecting networks (mine plus 3 or 4 others) but as they're all (predictably) protected I can't try and connect to them.

tails
    Free Member

if you google sammy netbook there is a whole website dedicated to you and your netbook. Or just return it.

NZCol

what security does the network run (WEP, WPA PSK etc) ?
    Does it attempt to get an IP address (the wee wireless thingy has a green ball bing bonging backwards and forwards) or does it just not even go there.
    Try network settings->wireless networks->wireless tab and lok in the network properties in there for it.
    If its not protected check what your firewall settings are as it may not allow you to connect if its an open network. ZoneAlarm prompts you when its like that and you have to make it an untrusted network.

clubber
    Free Member

My network is wpa2. It does the getting ip thing but fails. We checked the firewall too but there was nothing obviously wrong there.

NZCol

Check its using the right encryption algorithm if its WPA or WPA2 , it could be WPA2-PSK using AES or TKIP. Does it prompt you for the network access key ? Also make usre it actually is WPA2 and not just WPA.
    Normally, and this is a generalisation, WPA with PSK using AES is the norm.

avdave2

There is also the possibility that the router has been set to only accept the MAC address of your wife's work laptop. I have my router set so that in will only work with my laptop and my netbook. You won't be able to do anything about it though without admin access to the router.

NZCol

Yep that was my next avenue – it may have limited DHCP range, say 2 addresses in the pool. Try turning your phone off and see if it gets an address. MIght, might not. Then consider that it has mac address filtering turned on the router. If so you need to get into it and either add your mac addy or turn mac addressing off, but i'd leave it on as it helps just a wee bit for casual 'hackers'

aka_Gilo
    Free Member

Cheers for the advice, however I now have it sorted, with the help of the (very helpful and quick to answer) Samsung helpline.

Numlock was on, which meant when I typed in the network key it was incorrect, but as I couldn't see the characters I had no way of knowing!!!

The helpline guy did say it's quite a common problem with a lot of Samsung netbooks going out with Numlock on.

tyger
    Free Member

Oh, the old Numlock thing – Doh! LOL :-)
    Glad it's sorted.

avdave2

Funny how it always turns out to be the simplest thing. I've filed that one away.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Samsung NC10 not connecting to wireless network’ is closed to new replies.