Viewing 23 posts - 81 through 103 (of 103 total)
  • Saddle up riders
  • tracknicko
    Free Member

alex… no. or rather maybe. but full height on a dh bike is nowhere near full xc height.

firestarter
    Free Member

@tracknicko just seems silly arguing amoungst each other regarding seat up or seat down you do what you do you dont need to justify/argue about it do you

glenp
    Free Member

(I'm going to leave this subject after this post!) alex – having a normal-good-for-pedalling saddle does not force your weight forward (or it shouldn't if your bike engagement is good in detail) and riding all over the front of the bike isn't a good thing either (driving the middle of the bike is).

tracknicko
    Free Member

not really arguing though is it? apart from GW going a bit over the top praps.

alex, this chap has his seat up quite a bit. and i hear he's quite good. but its still 'down' in comparison to xc height

firestarter
    Free Member

more bickering then 😉

tracknicko
    Free Member

yeh definitely. but thats what the internet is for right?

joolsburger
    Free Member

Damn right would be much fun if we all came here, agreed and then pissed off.

Still go quicker with you seat down fo sure

firestarter
    Free Member

just makes me chuckle how everyone is right lol i got one and i likes it ive just swapped it onto the h/t as i found i was dropping the post more and more on the h/t as i went riding (or attempting to) in more silly places. i just find it easier than using the qr. granted i wouldnt pay retail but i got mine cheap

joolsburger
    Free Member

When something is a bit easier sometimes it's more fun personally I get nervous about nut damage

cookeaa

Horses for courses (as with most things) personally I use the Seat QR and drop the saddle for the fun bits where it helps, if I’m going any distance then I set it high and for some trails I might set it at an in-between height now and then…

Wouldn’t mind a good Gravity dropper, I’m not such a weight nancy but you hear story’s of poor reliability and they still ain’t cheap compared to a good old basic seat post, might wait till a good low cost version comes out…

alex222
    Free Member

Peaty's saddle there is hip height, where it should be its his bars that are higher relative to the saddle, newer dh bikes have slacker angles and lower bars so that saddle height and bar height are closer still.

tracknicko
    Free Member

so his saddle is at xc height?

jackal
    Free Member

Don't most of the WC DH riders ride with their saddles at full reach?

Nope.

As I said in a previous post, for proper dh riding you'll want it lower than xc height but not so low as you lose all control (keep that for dj and the bmx track).
    On the dh bike I used to play around with saddle height a fair bit to get the best compromise, which I find is saddle at around the height of the stem (as mr.peat above), give or take an inch or so either way dependant on how tech the course is, eg. if its somewhere relatively non tech like say the cwmcarn dh then up a bit to make the pedally bits easier.

Each to thier own I guess, but don't try and tell people you can ride to your full potential downhill with your seat at an efficient xc pedalling position, it just can't be done, fact.

😀

tracknicko
    Free Member

agreed.

glenp
    Free Member

Argh! Can't help myself!

I never said you could ride at your full potential downhill!

Only that it was more than adequate for most riding, most of the time.

Right. Now I'm off.

jackal
    Free Member

Only that it was more than adequate for most riding, most of the time.

Agreed, you 'can' ride anything with your saddle up but you'll be compromised.

Oh and nothing to do with skill compensation, for me it's about getting the maximum out of the bike and myself.

😉

joolsburger
    Free Member

Glen I knew you'd crack!

tracknicko
    Free Member

ground him down over time. resistance is futile!

ooOOoo
    Free Member

Another 3 pages of great internet.

alex222
    Free Member

I think you'll find its the the correct height minus about 1 inch. Look at minars bike he does ride full stretch on his saddle. I guess its horses for courses but you should be able to ride xc all day without touching your saddle. You can do everything but manual and jump bmx tracks/trails on a xc bike. I ride tech stuff out in the peak without touching my saddle.

fin

njee20
    Free Member

You can do everything but manual and jump bmx tracks/trails on a xc bike

Huh? Why can't you do those things?

tracknicko
    Free Member

ummm this

on an xc bike with the seat up? do me a favour!

credit to tuffy. and baybutt of course.

alex222
    Free Member

That is exactly why I can't or for that matter don't try to do jumps on my xc bike other than kicker type transitions. Also I have a bmx so why would I even consider doing that on an xc bike?

There are plenty of jay boys who go to bolehills on xc bikes and look like goobers; I for one don't want to be that guy who turns up english bunny hops off a lip then cases the landing and beaks their arm.

Didn't DC jump the car park straight clipped in on a prince albert with the saddle up?

Viewing 23 posts - 81 through 103 (of 103 total)

The topic ‘Saddle up riders’ is closed to new replies.