Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Ruthin Merida – Training tips
  • steve_b77
    Free Member

Me and a couple of my mates are going to be taking on the Ruthin Merida in September.

On the 75km/92km routes there seems to be a fair bit of up-hilling 😕

As I've recently re-located to London Village, other than flat road miles during the week and a couple of hours at the weekend on my MTB (back home in Cheshire), has anyone got any tips to make the long one a bit more enjoyable?

Also – what tyres are ideal? never ridden on of these before

catshoe
    Free Member

No idea on the training tips – speed intervals thrown into long rides to simulate hills? Tow a breeze block? It's got to be reps though hasn't it. It is pretty hilly here. I live in Ruthin and all the tracks that the Merida uses are up hills. On the other hand, if you just tuck in and take it easy, you do top out with hopefully something left in your legs for later. That's the hardest bit, not getting pulled along too fast in the early stages
    Tyres – others will disagree but I use nothing – ever – at all – except Conti Vert Pros / Maxxis Ignitor. The Clwyds are lovely hills but tend to be a trifle sponge like

steve_b77
    Free Member

Hmm handy advice 😆

I do also rather like Maxxis Ignitors, have them on both of my bikes in eXception flavour.

When you say spongey do you mean a mud fest or just soft in a Delamere forest kinda way?

MrSparkle

Oh Gawd – how hilly is it??
    Mr Sparkle singlespeeder and Ruthin merida entrant…

tankslapper
    Free Member

I'll second that – the Clwyds can be a trifle minging!

Merida Training Clikey!

gravitysucks
    Free Member

Did Ruthin last year and its way Hilly but enjoyable. Just concentrate on getting some good hills in on your weekend rides, long uns!

Tyre wise I ran cinders when I did it but if I did it again i'd put my conti verts on

steve_b77
    Free Member

Gravity – you funny I live in Mid-Cheshire @ the weekends & central London during the week, so basicall I'm fecked for hills!!

Winner on the tyres, Ignitors it is, unless it rains for all of August

gravitysucks
    Free Member

Lol there are hills, you've just got to look closely, very closely, very closely though a pair of good binoculars……

steve_b77
    Free Member

That'll be the Clwyds then he hee

Russell96

Just get out on the Almost the Delyn route here when you are home

http://www.ridetheclwyds.com/rideclwyds/the_routes3.asp

It'll get your legs ready for anything on the Merida

tazzymtb

Every time I've used ignitors they turn into sheep poo donuts in the clwyds, nobby nic/ racing ralph combo works very well as do speedking supersonics…they also make the fire track and road bits quicker

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Ruthin Merida – Training tips’ is closed to new replies.