Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Runied my Mokka pot
  • joolsburger
    Free Member

In the dishwasher looks like it’s buggered gone all weird any way to sort it please?

Like this

tomd
    Free Member

Don’t put aluminium in a dishwasher. I did the same, it’ll still work fine.

lemonysam
    Free Member

As above, it’s oxidised aluminium and will still work fine, you should be able to clean it with something acidic – vinegar or lemon juice would probably work, cream of tartar would be better as it won’t leave as much residue. I just left mine though.

wwaswas

bit of grout cleaner wouldn’t go amiss…

Autosol will get rid of the bloom.

joolsburger
    Free Member

So acid and then polish should restore the finish? I leave it on the stove see and it’s an ongoing reminder of my stupidity.

mintimperial

Just leave it and tell anyone who asks that it was a limited edition matt-finish version. They look better all knackered up anyway.

theotherjonv

don’t mess about too much with alu finishes, the oxide’s nice and stable. I’d personally wire wool it, or get rid of it and get a new one (my last one was £8 at TKMaxx)

ahwiles
    Free Member

i replaced my aluminium stove-top with a stainless steel jobby, i swear the coffee tastes better.

medoramas
    Free Member

I never use anything except warm water to clean mine…

But yours looks proper hipster-retro now! :mrgreen:

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Start a business in coffee pot patination? (assuming you live in that London)

neilthewheel

Alu gives you alzheimers, allegedly

lemonysam
    Free Member

Alu gives you alzheimers, allegedly

Myth 4: Drinking out of aluminum cans or cooking in aluminum pots and pans can lead to Alzheimer’s disease.
    Reality: During the 1960s and 1970s, aluminum emerged as a possible suspect in Alzheimer’s. This suspicion led to concern about exposure to aluminum through everyday sources such as pots and pans, beverage cans, antacids and antiperspirants. Since then, studies have failed to confirm any role for aluminum in causing Alzheimer’s. Experts today focus on other areas of research, and few believe that everyday sources of aluminum pose any threat.

http://www.alz.org/alzheimers_disease_myths_about_alzheimers.asp

CountZero

Large amounts of aluminium can cause health issues, as happened at Camelford; http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camelford_water_pollution_incident
    However the issue seems mainly to be due to the aluminium sulphate breaking down into sulphuric acid which stripped all sorts of nasty stuff from the water pipes, rather than directly from the aluminium itself.
    It appears the Mail is giving some publicity to some doctor who reckons that aluminium in cosmetics is causing Altzheimers, but how much credence can be given I’ve no idea.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Runied my Mokka pot’ is closed to new replies.