Viewing 40 posts - 1,601 through 1,640 (of 2,576 total)
  • Rugby World Cup Thread 2019
  • namastebuzz
    Free Member

mindmap3, I apologise

It takes a big man to apologise and that’s at least two from you on this thread Bruce. So well done.

I’d buy yourself or any of the other Scotch lads on here a pint if you’re ever near Stonehaven.

(Except Duckman, of course 😉)

Kryton57

We need a card system and give people a day or so in the bin if they keep sassing back.

Goof god no, imagine the tumbleweed that would be this thread if the Red Card system is introduce for High & Mighty opinions!

mindmap3
    Free Member

Bruce call me a c**t by all means but suggesting I read the Daily Fail is out of order.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

A Scotsman walks into a bar. Usually there’d be an Englishman, an Irishman and a Welshman involved but they’re all still in Japan.

tjagain

duckman

Slightly weird how some folk post more about our team and its supporters than their own on here.

anagallis_arvensis

Yellow.

mindmap3
    Free Member

The pots and kettles are at it again:

https://www.foxsports.com.au/rugby/rugby-world-cup/nz-boss-brent-impey-accuses-northern-hemisphere-of-colonialism-against-pacific-nations/news-story/dadcc827c8ab7aecbd63e25e80a77f07

Contracts that effectively force players to put club before country are poor form as far as I’m concerned. Whilst I enjoy club rugby, the international game shouldn’t be the pinnacle of a player’s career.

piha
    Free Member

IMO the World Cup has been utterly fantastic so far and I’m really looking forward to the quarters. The way I see it;

ENG v AUS
    Australia should emerge victorious, Cheika is smart and has the players to carry out his game plan. England are strong and fit but unfortunately struggle when things aren’t going their way. Aus by 9 points.

IRE v NZL
    I fear for Ireland, they aren’t playing well and NZ are getting into their stride. But if anyone can beat the All Blacks………. NZ by 25 points.

WAL v FRA
    My strong favourites for the World Cup and this is Wales’ best chance. Wales peaking at the right time with the right players. Great coach and the team know how to win. Wales by 15 points.

JPN v RSA
    Japan have been inspirational and have a nation behind them. SA are big and strong. If Japan keep hold of the ball then I think they have a good chance but SA will probably prove too strong and dominate in the last quarter of the match. SA by 8 points.

Happy to be completely wrong and probably will be!

hols2
    Free Member

Cheika is smart

IdleJon

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/50026631

Some interesting points and analysis made in the above link about whether Tier 2 teams are actually closing the gap to the tier 1s.

I would also add one point that I think relevant. Early in one of last weekend’s games – I can’t remember which – the tier 1 team was penalised (free-kick) immediately for an early push at a scrum. No argument and no discussion needed. Later in the game, the tier 2 team pushed early but the scrum was reset with the ref saying something along the lines of ‘I know what you’re trying to do but you can’t push early’. The rules in these group games don’t seem to be applied equally to all teams, with some allowance. some leeway, given to the lesser teams. I wonder if that’s the reason we haven’t seen so many hammerings? And I wonder whether it’s a deliberate policy designed at keeping those nations a bit more interested?

IdleJon

Australia should emerge victorious, Cheika is smart and has the players

Cheika’s win rate with Australia as of August was 50% – way below average for an Australian national coach. Australia have only beaten England once with him. His win rates with his previous teams is quite variable as well – he’s the not the most convincing of coaches. My money’s on England for a convincing win.

dantsw13

Most of us England fans are afraid of what Australia “can” do. Chances are they won’t, but they certainly might.

Kryton57

Most of us England fans are afraid of what Australia “can” do. Chances are they won’t, but they certainly might.

Most accurate summary today.

Speaking to a lot of people (admittedly in between Chester and the Welsh border) there’s a general feeling that we’re in for a a Wales / AB’s final.   If Wales win, us arrogant English will claim that the UK team have won the RWC 😉

anagallis_arvensis

Nz v SA would be my guess.

namastebuzz
    Free Member

Speaking to a lot of people (admittedly in between Chester and the Welsh border) there’s a general feeling that we’re in for a a Wales / AB’s final

Chances are, if you spoke to a lot of people in Bloemfontein, you’d probably get a general feeling for a NZ/SA final.

anagallis_arvensis

Ford dropped!

mindmap3
    Free Member

So Jones appears to have fallen into the same trap in the WC as previous coaches…dropping the combination that has worked when the pressure is on.

Ford has been is ten so far and he’s now decided that Farrell is the man, with Manu and Ade outside him. Maybe he was worried about the Aussie 12 who is a unit, but our attack looks better with Ford at 10.

I think this will be Australia’s big WC performance and well on hoping on a plane home.

w00dster

I’m not surprised about Ford being dropped to be honest. There is going to be a lot of pressure coming down the 10 channel. Also, I don’t think Farrell offers anything in attack as a centre.
    Glad to see Lawes start, very good player – Kruis will also be destructive coming off the bench in the second half.

DanW
    Free Member

Slade is an absolutely fantastic rugby player but it’s a big ask coming back from injury to perform in the knockouts.

Looks like a defense first thought from Jones with Ford to have fun with tired legs if needed. A bold call in the battle of dumb vs dumber :/

mindmap3
    Free Member

Slade is an absolutely fantastic rugby player but it’s a big ask coming back from injury to perform in the knockouts.

He’s never quite cemented his place on the international stage though. I really rate him and he appears to have a lot of attributes to be a very very good centre but he still has a habit of drifting in and out of games a tad.

Kryton57

This:

I’m not surprised about Ford being dropped to be honest. There is going to be a lot of pressure coming down the 10 channel. Also, I don’t think Farrell offers anything in attack as a centre.
    Glad to see Lawes start, very good player – Kruis will also be destructive coming off the bench in the second half.

And two players with 20 mins of RWC under their belt after long layoffs from Injury.

I am nervous but lets hope this:

Looks like a defense first thought from Jones with Ford to have fun with tired legs if needed. A bold call in the battle of dumb vs dumber :/

…is indeed the plan and it works.

ElVino

Cheika’s win rate with Australia as of August was 50% – way below average for an Australian national coach. Australia have only beaten England once with him. His win rates with his previous teams is quite variable as well – he’s the not the most convincing of coaches. My money’s on England for a convincing win.

Didn’t Cheika get the job because he won Super Rugby competition with the Waratahs which given the recent record of the Aussies teams was a pretty big achievement. Also he was the coach who finally made the breakthrough with Leinster in the HCup. I’m not sure anyone would have done better with current Aussie team.

anagallis_arvensis

Seems strange to develop the plan around ford and then drop him for the first big game. Good teams should be imposing their game on others not be chopping and changing depending on opposition.

namastebuzz
    Free Member

Seems strange to develop the plan around ford and then drop him for the first big game. Good teams should be imposing their game on others not be chopping and changing depending on opposition.

This x100

Seem to have seen this somewhere before – could it have been the host nation at the last RWC?

Looks like a defense first thought from Jones

If that were the case – JJ at 13 would make the most sense.

Cheika’s win rate with Australia as of August was 50% – he’s the not the most convincing of coaches

Well he did take over a rock bottom Wallabies squad shortly before the last RWC and took them all the way to the final where they gave the ABs a damn good game.

namastebuzz
    Free Member

I don’t think Farrell offers anything in attack as a centre.

You too? I thought it was just me?

He doesn’t actually offer much in defence either – seeing as he can’t actually tackle.

mindmap3
    Free Member

You too? I thought it was just me?

He doesn’t actually offer much in defence either – seeing as he can’t actually tackle.

He has moments, normally when the pack are smashing the opposition. Seems odd to chuck him in at 10 having been at 12 for the last games (other than substitution time).

Jones does appear to be doing what the last few coaches did…shit their conviction at WC.

IdleJon

Well he did take over a rock bottom Wallabies squad shortly before the last RWC and took them all the way to the final where they gave the ABs a damn good game.

Did they win? 😁

They’ve only got a 50% success rate against Scotland under him. Just throwing that out there.
    (I shouldn’t make fun – in the Welsh games the Ozzies have won 80%. ☹️ )

Kryton57

So, Farrell’s our no 1 place kicker at the RWC, He’s stronger in defence than Ford, he less – although not the best admittedly – likely to perform badly under pressure than Ford.

Slade has performed some magic trickery for England, and offers more than JJ in the kicking stakes – he may line up at 12 in attack perhaps to relive pressure on Farrell?   Ford is of course on the bench, and may come on after the storm has been weathered with Slade off after 40/60 mins.  I bet Aus thought they were running down Fords channel all day long until today.   Australia of course have been using their own 10/12 channel to attack, and we have that quite well marked now to force them wide, or into the forwards where I’d expect England to dominate physically over 80 mins.

I’m of the opinion its a defence first, points later setup, with Farrell and Slade charged to keep the Ball down in the Aus 22.

dantsw13

It’s about winning not playing pretty rugby.

w00dster

Is Ford a good enough spot kicker under pressure?
    I imagine there was a lot of consideration for EJ, not just on the fact that AF is proven to be more consistent in big games. AF is probably that bit better defensively as well.
    I wouldn’t see this as a knee jerk reaction. I’d also see it as being fairly positive for England. They have options during the game depending on how it goes. Build up game and easier pool games, yeah give it a go seeing how good AF looks at centre (not very!) and see how Ford looks at 10 (pretty comfortable)
    My personal opinion is that Ford is the better stand off. But, I don’t know how well he will cope with the pressure that will be on the England 10. I’d even guess that part of the decision is that AF is not a centre, so he is either dropped from the team (so relying on a different kicker) or England drop Ford and move AF to 10.

DanW
    Free Member

I don’t get the Ford being weak in defence thing. He is actually very clever in defence and teams don’t get much out of him and seems to get a bad rep just because he can’t pull quite an angry face as his buddy Owen (who incidentally has shocking defence stats most games!)

tjagain

I think its a mistake dropping Ford.

Kryton57

My personal opinion is that Ford is the better stand off. But, I don’t know how well he will cope with the pressure that will be on the England 10.

Not a good record in the past.

And btw, AF stopped his short career playing for England rugby union some time ago, I suspect you mean his little boy Owen…

Kryton57

I think its a mistake dropping Ford.

No Scottish advice thanks, we want to get into the final 😉

5plusn8
    Free Member

No Scottish advice thanks, we want to get into the final 😉

Brutality.

tjagain

Ouch

onehundredthidiot

It’s smart. Bring Farrell in closer so there’s more cover for tackling and hopefully his awful technique and potential red/yellow tackles will be lessened.
    But Oz are going to chuck the big units at Slade and really pressurise the 10/12 channels both in attack and defence. They’ll also swing the big unit 12 round the back of Slade on the outside to meet manu on the pull back pass.

w00dster

Haha!! Sorry, I’m a Rugby League person so easy mistake to make!
    I can see how Farrell’s defence can look weak. But there is just a little bit more about him defensively. He will slow down/stop a rampaging Australian defender, where as I think Ford may well become overwhelmed. I could be completely wrong.
    I think Kryton and myself are in agreement, but its hard to explain in a forum, much easier to explain over a pint of Guinness! Getting excited for the weekend now!
    For me, I’m really interested in the battle of the front 5. Scrummaging is going to be really interesting. I’ve not been impressed by the England front row for a while – nor do I rate Dan Cole (gives away too many penalties) Also Underhill and Curry going to have to play out of their skins. Billy has to be fully fit as well.
    Being honest, I just don’t think England have the team to cope with Australia. With or without Farrell (or his dad!)
    Whats the consensus on the Wales game? Its my wife’s birthday on Sunday and we are out for dinner on Saturday night. Going to have to work out how to sneak out of bed early without losing any brownie points! Since 2012 Wales have only lost once to France, but there have been a lot of close games, home and away.

Viewing 40 posts - 1,601 through 1,640 (of 2,576 total)

The topic ‘Rugby World Cup Thread 2019’ is closed to new replies.