Viewing 40 posts - 281 through 320 (of 4,700 total)
  • Rugby world cup
  • Markie
    Free Member

Rotten luck for Henson if this rules him out… thought he was looking good.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Two toothless games from England so far in the warm ups. Better teams will mash them.

Wales? Better today, but still not good enough for a semi final spot. (Which is as far as I could optimistically dream of!)

anagallis_arvensis

Better today, but still not good enough for a semi final spot.

hopless optimist!! Mind you if we get Gethin and Adam back and dont play Lloyd Burns again and put Ryan Jones in at 8 …. happy days.

Pigface
    Free Member

Busted arm 😯 thought he was due a bit of good fortune. Unlucky Gav

thegreatape
    Free Member

To me, England just seem to worry too much and are afraid to have a proper go. Standing off at rucks, running at the line from a standing start, won’t chuck a long pass. If they would only hit stuff hard, run at people with some conviction, and chuck the ball out, they’d do well. They just seem to have no confidence in themselves.

anagallis_arvensis

To me, England just seem to worry too much

Nope the problem is that Tindall and HApe are **** useless.

Pigface
    Free Member

South Africans turned over by the Australians yesterday. Another team who cant score tries at the moment.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Hape’s one of the worst players ever to have pulled on an international rugby shirt.

The fact he played rugby (of a sort) at a full international level for another country……….

anagallis_arvensis

Ex run and wiggler isnt he? Bloody useless, Tindall was quite about 7 years ago and maybe could still do a job if partnered with someone who can pass.

anagallis_arvensis

Henson has had surgery for dislocated bone in wrist, poor sod
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/welsh/14517441.stm

rusty90
    Free Member

Not a great Henson fan, but he does have some appalling luck. Thought he was looking pretty sharp as well. Shame.

Glad England were prevented from grinding out another soulless win.

duckman

Just watched it, Really enjoyed it, not for any flowing rugby mind, but just for the actual game. The times makes a really good case (Barnes)for Wilkinson being the starter, as he can get the best out of the current midfield. Shame for Gav, still he is young enough….If the desire is back,he is still young enough for 4 years time (not like he has played too much rugby is it?) Welsh are fit a ****, Hook/Warburton are brilliant, and jones(s) to come back. Don’t think the Saffers can take ANYTHING for granted.
    Mrs Duck is Welsh, does that mean I can claim citizenship?

donsimon
    Free Member

Mrs Duck is Welsh, does that mean I can claim citizenship?

Only if you can say “Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch” without hesitation or drawing breath. 😀

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

anagallis_arvensis – Member
    Ex New Zealand full, senior level run and wiggler isn’t he

FTFY. Should never have been allowed to play for England, even if he was anywhere near vaguely good enough to.

Some other musings;

Shane’s tackle on Banadonkey. Awesome. Further proof that being a big lump and spending all day in the gym are no substitute for brain, guile and experience. In fact, that sums up the Welsh attitude v the English attitude. Wales were cleverer, and had variation. England had one way, drudgery. Didn’t work, couldn’t change it.

Hook – Must play at ten. For most of the game! 😉 I rather like the idea of starting with him at 15, with Priestland at ten. Then, after 50 or so, put Hook up to ten and bring Byrne on at 15.

Great to have a choice in the back row. Faletau (spl?) is still young, but he’s going to be a real star soon. Warburton? Awesome. Lydiate? Same.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Can we all take a moment to applaud Danny Care for this moment of great sportsmanship from last week?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klkeChBrAjg

duckman

Flash, can I open that without seeing the break?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Yes, RugbyDump deliberately chose to post a vid without the nastiness. Good on ’em.

anagallis_arvensis

nope you can clealry see his leg break on that if you look.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Mighty England

Pffftpt 🙂

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

AA, I meant is wasn’t a “ooh, look at this nasty injury” sort of video.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

CaptainFlashheart – Member

Two toothless games from England so far in the warm ups. Better teams will mash them.

Nowt there for Scotland to fear anyway 🙂

anagallis_arvensis

http://gwladrugby.com/

Orcball slips-up comically on banana skin made of super-fit hobbits
    Aug 15th, 2011 by Davster

Orcmaster General: Felt there should have been a penalty try in the first half but admits to coaching blinkered trundle-muppets

The dawn of the age of the Orc has been postponed indefinitely as it emerged that if you just stand in front of them and pull them to the floor all day then they don’t really have that much more to offer. Orc forces arrived in Cardiff on Saturday including scrum-mammoths, line-out trolls, siege-ram mutants and wide-out nazgul wing-beasts. The strategy was to find hobbits and run at them really hard on the strict understanding from the Generals that the hobbits would grow weary of this and eventually step aside, enabling crushing victory and celebratory drinking from captive skulls. Curiously, when Orctactic met with determined heroic hobbit defence, the thinking from the Orcmaster General seemed to conclude that the running head-down at the enemy was only failing because there wasn’t enough of it. And so it went on. And a bit more, increasingly coupled with dropping the ball and allowing it to be stolen.

The Orcmaster General seemed to suggest that Orctactic didn’t work for unspecified reasons but would work on all other days for another set of unspecified reasons, giving hope to many people around the world that despite the retirement of George Bush Jnr, the chances of future moments of blundering unintentional comedy were looking strong. He also seemed to suggest that the sado-masochistic torture bridles worn by two of his scrum-mammoths that forced them to veer off sideways instead of forwards somehow warranted penalty tries and yellow cards because the good-guys didn’t have anywhere to put their heads. Everyone invited him to stand in a dark corner and think about it.

Meanwhile, hobbits were clearly delighted despite not being entirely sure how the hell that happened exactly. What was certain though was that they are in the kind of shape that mountains are made of, if said mountains could also run a marathon backwards whilst carrying another mountain, they also care to the extent that all the ale and cowgirls in Cardiff couldn’t tempt them out on the lash, and that committed traffic calming measures are sufficient to persuade Orcball to erupt at high velocity from its own rectum.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

🙂

anagallis_arvensis

things looking bleak for Wales though injury wise Adam Jones, Byrne and 1/2p back for this weekend but Gethin Jenkins, Matthew Rees and Ryan Jones still crocked, Steven Jones still injured, Peel hasnt been released by his club and is apparently injured anyway as is Priestland now so our squad has 1 full time fullback, 1 scrum half over the age of 8 and no fulltime outside half and the bloke who can play outside half is the second choice fullback and maybe the first choice 12.
    team for this weekend v Argentina likely to be something like:

Byrne
    1/2p
    Davies
    Scott Williams
    Brew
    Hook
    Knoyle
    Delve/Powell
    M Williams
    Turnbull
    4&5 Charteris AN Other maybe Jon Thomas
    Adam Jones
    Anyone other than Burns
    ? Paul James deserves a rest but who as loosehead? Maybe Bevington

anagallis_arvensis

been confirmed that Rees is to miss the world cup 😥

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Just heard that on the radio. That’s a pity 🙁

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Gethin’s looking shaky for the start of the tournament as well

Shame, as he’s one of the best front row forwards of a generation.

DezB
    Free Member

G’day. I’m gunna be an Ozzie for the World Cup. You know that feeling of watching the England football team, you support them but they’re ALWAYS crap? Well, that’s what the RWC is going to be like for England supporters.
    So, with the approval of my NZer chum that I work with, I’m supporting Australia. For entertainment value, they are going to be the best team in the tournament, so that’s who I have chosen.
    Fancy another shrimp, bruce?

molgrips
    Free Member

You don’t really get the concept of ‘supporting’ a team do you Dez? 🙂

donsimon
    Free Member

You don’t really get the concept of ‘supporting’ a team do you Dez?

I think that you’ll find that choosing a nation that is not your birth nation is perfectly acceptable in these parts Molly.

DanW
    Free Member

The positive for Wales is that the young guys in the team seem really eager and passionate when they play which was lacking from some of the older guys.

I think Gatland’s idea to bring back some of the more experienced guys for the game with Argentina will see a very different style of play from Wales.

The flip side to this is that some of the young guys lack experience, especially against the very top teams so I can see Wales getting turned over pretty easily in the RWC more by guile than anything else.

It is also worrying to see so much of the Wales team made up of Scarlets and Dragons as the Blues and Ospreys didn’t really meet their potential last season. The Scarlets and Dragons were hugely passionate and pretty much always exciting to watch but results didn’t always go their way, especially in the tighter games.

The best thing for Wales would be to scrape through the pool to lower expectations then take it from there. High expectations and pressure is the curse of Welsh rugby!

Long comment over 😀

NZCol

If anyone is in the vicinity and wants tickets I have tickets for some of the pool games in Wellington that I can’t get to now – they are pretty cheap as well these ones. I’ll dig out the details.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I think that you’ll find that choosing a nation that is not your birth nation is perfectly acceptable in these parts Molly.

Heh. 🙂

We have a plastic Welshman and Scotsman…any other plastics around?

DezB
    Free Member

I’ve tried so hard to support England, but last week’s game just broke me. (I think it was the moment a player with the initials C.H. was brought on. FFS! I shouted so much that my dog got frightened).

I know some people who live in Australia, so that’s enough for me 🙂

wrecker
    Free Member

I know how you feel Dez. I was watching it in a pub in Worcester and remarked that CH is almost as bad as Andy Goode. I didn’t realise he plays for Worcester! Went down like a fart in a spacesuit.

anagallis_arvensis

The best thing for Wales would be to scrape through the pool to lower expectations then take it from there.

Do any welsh supporters think anything other than scraping through the pool which contains Samoa (not Western Samoa, the WHOLE of bloody Samoa), Fiji (it went well last time we played them in a world cup) and South Africa (who we havent beaten for 10 years) is likely?

DanW the rest of your post about young guys and old guys doesnt make sense to me

toys19
    Free Member

Fiji (it went well last time we played them in a world cup) and South Africa

I was at the Fiji/South Africa game in Marseille 1/4 finals, there must have been 16 Fiji supporters and 20k welsh supporters who had bought expectant tickets. The Welsh were very funny supporting fiji with

Bread of Heaven, Bread of Heaven, Fiji now and ever more, fiji now and ever more

They were defo the boost Fiji needed, shame they didn’t beat the Saffers..

DezB – Member

I’ve tried so hard to support England, but last week’s game just broke me. (I think it was the moment a player with the initials C.H. was brought on. FFS! I shouted so much that my dog got frightened).

I know some people who live in Australia, so that’s enough for me

MTFU – if you keep changing sides every time there’s a winner you’ll start spinning.

DezB
    Free Member

keep changing sides

I haven’t. I’ve just dumped England. What rule says you have to support the team from the country you live in? Why not just support the most entertaining team? That way I won’t have to endure the site of Hape, Tindall, Hodgson and Cueto playing like forwards in the backs.

toys19
    Free Member

I haven’t. I’ve just dumped England. What rule says you have to support the team from the country you live in? Why not just support the most entertaining team? That way I won’t have to endure the site of Hape, Tindall, Hodgson and Cueto playing like forwards in the backs.

Calm down, only ribbing, it’s just sport after all. Support who you like! 😀

I have the issue of Irish parents, but I was born and raised here, I have tried to support Ireland, which I can do unless they play England.. My heart and soul are English and I have Jingoistic pride in my country. Personally I cannot feel anything for another country so I am genuinely surprised that you can change allegiance, but perhaps my idea of supporting my country is not he same as yours (or anyone else’s). It is not about rules its about where you feel you belong..

DaRC_L

I’ve tried so hard to support England, but last week’s game just broke me.

Ahhh cunningly I don’t have Sky & had to entertain the family who’d hidden the remote for the highlights on Beeb3. Once found I flicked over saw it was a dull game – later saw the result and didn’t even read about the game. Ignorance is bliss & games on Sky don’t count….

But DezB you’re fickle = not a true supporter but one of them wishy washy only when they’re winning types 😆

Viewing 40 posts - 281 through 320 (of 4,700 total)

The topic ‘Rugby world cup’ is closed to new replies.