Viewing 40 posts - 2,281 through 2,320 (of 4,700 total)
  • Rugby world cup
  • ditch_jockey

There are times when it is just great to be English & living in Scotland. I’m just off to goad the wife…

Imnotverygood – did your wife pick your username?

ditch_jockey

Jamie
    Free Member

I’m just off to goad the wife…

Is that a euphemism?

duckman

Actually, we should never have been close to England, last week,which I missed did the damage; so based on that.

ANYONE BUT BLOODY ARGENTINA!

ditch_jockey

Goad – “a short stick used to guide livestock”.

brakes
    Free Member

wahoooooooo!!!
    England win as only England can, at the last minute.
    Scotland’s points came from England’s mistakes rather than anything resembling good rugby. England relying far too much on their defence. Scotland without the ability to finish off anything which was expected.
    Very entertaining.
    Bring on France! 😀

scaredypants

Scotland’s points came from England’s mistakes rather than anything resembling good rugby. England relying far too much on their defence. Scotland without the ability to finish off anything which was expected.

OK, fair enough

Very entertaining.

sounds it, yeah

stevewhyte
    Free Member

Nick De luca is a kunt and thats all i am going to say about todays game.

anagallis_arvensis

Scotland are always a bogey team even though on paper England should beat them by 20 points plus.

you’ve been listening to Dilly “england best team in europe” DallyO havent you?

Nick De luca is a kunt and thats all i am going to say about todays game.

not sure why you would think that, but I will say Armitage is certainly one of those

zokes
    Free Member

If there’s one thing to be learned by the faux- (and not-so-faux-) Scottish here, it’s that gloating should only be carried out once the match is over.

Although I guess that leaves you guys with very little chance of ever getting a gloat in…..

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Condolences to the Scotland fans – as I said earlier, I’d like to have seen both of them go through but not to be. The England haterz will have their day.

uplink
    Free Member

ditch_jockey

Although I guess that leaves you guys with very little chance of ever getting a gloat in…..

You do appreciate, don’t you, that we don’t gloat because of the occasional success at sporting events. 😀

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Funny how certain fans only sing when they’re winning. 😀

anagallis_arvensis

on todays evidence the winner of ireland wales 1/4 final have a very good chance of making the final

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Yep, green machine in the final then :mrgreen:

(joking! we have our own little squeaky bum game to go through tomorrow)

anagallis_arvensis

I think ireland would be favs to beat wales but it should be a great game

Taz

Congratultions England

As a Scotsman I am gutted but to be honest none of the 3 ‘big’ teams in this group are looking great.

In some ways this may be a bad result for England in the long run. There is a very good chance that they will get to the final now, which of course is great short term news for English rugby fans.

However, with the resources at their disposal England should be the world’s no.1 side. They are a long way from that. An early exit may have forced a major shake up in English rugby but I cannot see that happening now.

I hope Engalnd beat France (I fully expect they will) A semi against Ireland or Wales would be mouth watering :-).

Taz

Should have added. I would see both Ireland & Wales as favourites against England. That said it would not be a shock result for England to beat either of them.

zokes
    Free Member

On current form, I’d agree without a second thought that both Wales and Ireland should beat England, as should have Scotland. Though I seem to remember a fair few occasions with the boot on the other foot: Wales have a habit of coming back from heavy deficits themselves, and have done so a few times against England in recent years…

As for needing a severe rocket up their backside, the England rugby team isn’t the only potential ‘on paper’ world number 1, the football and cricket teams should hold that too in terms of monetary investment and resources. The only one of those to go through major changes is the cricket set up (2007 Ashes whitewash was the catalyst). The footballers got laughed out of the last world cup and failed to qualify for Euro2008, and don’t seem to have changed a single thing beyond the manager.

Funnily enough, it’s also the cricketers who hold that number 1 slot. I do wonder just how many bad results are needed before the FA and RFU take a leaf out of the ECB’s book on this.

anagallis_arvensis

On current form, I’d agree without a second thought that both Wales and Ireland should beat England, as should have Scotland

You’ll have to run this past me again slowly, how was Scotlands form in any way indicative of an ability to beat England?

yossarian
    Free Member

Typical England v typical Scotland = narrow win for the English.

The trick in major competitions is to only play well when you need to. England have reached the last 2 finals dong that. I’ve seen nothing from Wales, Ireland or France to make me think they’ll beat England if the English up their performance to what we know they can achieve. If they don’t they’ll go out, if they do they’ll make the final.

anagallis_arvensis

I’ve seen nothing from Wales, Ireland or France to make me think they’ll beat England if the English up their performance to what we know they can achieve

Big if, and also when has this current england team ever looked like winning much? Last big match they had ireland wiped the floor with them. If Wales face england with Jenkins and Jones and the rest of there pack fit they will have a very good chance of beating them.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

The trick in major competitions is to only play well when you need to.

anagallis_arvensis

The trick in major competitions is to only play well when you need to.

Well they needed to today and didnt and were damn close to being knocked out by a very mediocre team.

maxray
    Free Member

Twas a ropey game really… on to the next one though, you can only beat what is in front of you, so far so good.

maxray
    Free Member

They were hardly “dam close” 😀 Scot land led by a plus 8 margin for about 40seconds. Scotland only looked like they could pull off an upset for the first 30 mins. In the second half they did little and England scored 13 un answered points.

anagallis_arvensis

They were hardly “dam close” Scot land led by a plus 8 margin for about 40seconds. Scotland only looked like they could pull off an upset for the first 30 mins. In the second half they did little and England scored 13 un answered points.

yes, I am sorry Englanshire are World beaters and great, sorry…. doffs cap and runs off

anagallis_arvensis

funniest thing about the Armitage hit on Paterson was the **** knuckle commentator “oh he’s caught Armitage” pure comedy gold

donsimon
    Free Member

In some ways this may be a bad result for England in the long run.

I don’t see why, if you’re a cup lifting team, you fear no-one. This is why I wasn’t bothered by today’s score.

trailmonkey

However, with the resources at their disposal England should be the world’s no.1 side

but that’s just nonsense isn’t it. considering that rugby union is a game that only really attracts any kind of interest in england from the middle classes of the south then it’s amazing that we do as well as we do.

compared to say wales where it’s easily the national game – we punch way, way above our weight in rugby union.

i don’t see rugby union in england being much different to tennis in its broader appeal to the working class pool of potential talent.

donsimon
    Free Member

Population Wales- 3million
    Pupulation Southern England – 8million
    Population London – 7.8million

Have a nosey at this too.

I can see where you’re coming from on that one trailmonkey. 😉

trailmonkey

lies, damn lies and statistics 😆

that graph just shows the number of fat wheezy ex public schoolboys trundling around on a saturday afternoon.

still don’t see that it shows us picking players from the wider demographic.

for huge swathes of england, rugby union is a non entity.

toys19
    Free Member

This is the usual crap I have come to expect on here. Making judgements on who is world class or world beaters is such a load of crap. We won, scotland didn’t, they got a bp so it was close , well played jocks.Everything else is just a load of couldashouldwoulda codswallop. The records show england are the best team in the NH (6n and irb ranking) so frankly that is all you need to know…

donsimon
    Free Member

But with the now professional game there is more switching of codes which brings in the northerners too. Surely the fwheezies weren’t always that way either.

According to the International Rugby Board England has 1,900 rugby union clubs; 6,060 referees; 362,319 pre-teen male players; 698,803 teen male players; 121,480 senior male players (total male players 1,182,602) as well as 11,000 senior female players.[3] But these statistics are somewhat unreliable.
    against

According to the IRB, Wales has 239 rugby union clubs; 2321 referees; 28,702 pre-teen male players; 21,371 teen male players; 19,000 senior male players (total male players 69,073) as well as 1,000 teen female players; 1,056 senior female players (total female players 2,056)
    The arguments not looking too strong at the moment. 😆

namastebuzz
    Free Member

It’s funny, my brother, who’s Scottish (long story), joined us to watch the game just after half time.

“We’ll look good for 60 minutes then run out of steam. We won’t score a try and England will come on strong in the last 20 and beat us. I’ve seen it all before.”

He was spot on.

England aren’t great but they were too good for Sco/Arg. Assuming the flakey French turn up instead of the brilliant French then we’ll be in the semis.

After that? Who knows?

I’d pick Ireland to beat England but Wales match up well against Ireland and if the Welsh won I’d take England over them in the semi.

I’d predict an Ire/NZ final but there’s a long way to go before that. 🙂

maxray
    Free Member

yes, I am sorry Englanshire are World beaters and great, sorry…. doffs cap and runs off

You see I never said that, I just pointed out a couple of facts. 🙂 if we can beat the scots playing that badly then we can only really get better.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

ditch_jockey – Member

“Scotland looking brighter so far”

Don’t get sucked in – they’ll tease you until the end then ship a try in the last moments to go down to a heroic defeat.

Bastids

“sulks”

Oh and tree magnet – get it up ye with a big splintery stick.

wrecker
    Free Member

Oh god the old England have X number of players. Bore off. There’s far more to having a good team than sheer numbers. It’s the same story trotted out usually following an England win.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Ah well as I said at the beginning it was the group of death with 3 of the top ten teams in the world in it – with nothing much betweeen them.

All very marginal but heroic defeats is simply not good enough. Robinson / townend have to go. We need a young ambitious coach from teh soutehrn hemisphere IMO – when Robinson was appointed there were a couple interested. Its proved to me what I always suspected – Robinson is a very good pro team coach but cannot cut it as an international coach. Some of his selections were puzzling / wrong. Patterson shouldn’t have been playing – you cannot pick someone as a kicker then try to hide them Rory Lamont should have been at full back Ansbro should have played in the centre every game as should Sean Lamont. To defensive.

Life would be easier being an England fan

*still sulking*

Viewing 40 posts - 2,281 through 2,320 (of 4,700 total)

The topic ‘Rugby world cup’ is closed to new replies.