Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Route suggestion near Box/Box Hill area (Bath)
  • Gilles

Hi,

Maybe a shot in the dark, but I was wondering if any of you got some route suggestion in the Box/Box Hill area, East of Bath. I'm planning to give a go this weekend, what are the conditions over there? Tracks are not too bad usually near Bath (compare to wet chalk on the plain), so hopefully it could be good.

Fancy a bit of change from skyline!

Cheers.

MrAgreeable

If it's anything like the tracks on the other side of Bath where I am, it's going to be sticky!

Gilles

just saw your other thread on trail building request. Never been in that area before, are you all riding after your effort or is it just a plain day of tidying/building trail?

UrbanHiker
    Free Member

Gilles, is "skyline" a route? Sounds good.

llama

Difficult to string quality stuff together without some local knowledge, but:

box woods
    back of hartham park
    Chippenham side of the avon valley

all hold some interest

It will be slippy muddy gloopy rather than huge wet puddles

llama

skyline is a walking trail. I wouldn't bother with it on a bike.

Gilles

mmm just checked that and I get confused, I always thought the Skyline route was that briddleway on the North-West of Bath, but actually it isn't! That briddleway is part of the Costwold Way, the Skyline is right on the opposite side, and it's only for walker. Having say that, that bit of Costwold way is perfectly rideable whatever the weather, nice view (that's why it did make sense to me to call Skyline), nice but short singletrack and fully legal then!

MrAgreeable

Hi Gilles, I'm not riding after the dig on Saturday, we'll be knocking off around 4.00 pm and I suspect I'll be too knackered in any event! Also the trails are generally a bit of a mess at the moment, as you might expect after the snow and rain.

I wouldn't mind doing some more exploring around Bath at some point. I've ridden some fun routes with anotherdeadhero but never got as far over as Box.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

It'll be sticky but perfectly passable. I never bothered with mud tyres until I moved to bristolia.

Ugh, just spent ages tracing a route ut and bikehike won't let me save it 🙁

Gilles

Thanks for the effort anotherdeadhero, I will sketch something from llama suggestion! If I work out something interesting, I let you know Mr A.

singletracksurfer

i've done a ride starting by the uni, down to the sustrans trail, getting some miles in along this and down the excellent rocky Pipehouse lane to Midford. On to Wellow where there are plenty more tracks and back into the southern side of Bath.

North of bath gets pretty muddy as I recall.

awh
    Free Member

Gilles, Box Hill quarry is fun but there's not much there. I'm sure I could make up a long Bradford/Box/Bath route.

llama

I always thought the Skyline route was that briddleway on the North-West of Bath, but actually it isn't!

Oh yes, now I reconise your photo

Quite a nice one is to link your way down the east side of the avon to the super techy pipehouse (which will be a river)

Gilles

How long Andrew? could you do tomorrow? maybe not up to Bath.

awh
    Free Member

Tomorrow is good. I normally make it up as I go! Joining the interesting bits up with road and canal until I got bored. Usually out 1 1/5 to 2hrs.

thekingofsweden

I didn't know there was so much interest around Box/Corsham area

There is some real good riding around Box,Corsham all on bridleways etc but local knowledge would help we have one our favourite rides which we call Cow Pi55 as you can imagine it does get quite wet but not too claggy but sorry cant make it this weekend

Look on your map for Weavern Lane going into slaughterford then over towards castle coombe for some nice bits

awh
    Free Member

I last went to Slaughterford years ago… goes to find OS 173

thekingofsweden

Do you remember the white shoes on weavern lane ????? 😀

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Route suggestion near Box/Box Hill area (Bath)’ is closed to new replies.