Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • rotator cuff injury – your advice please
  • fastindian
    Free Member

took a flyer off the bike and landed on my shoulder. Doc says torn ligaments in shoulder.

So question is how long off bike/to heal/what treatment?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I am afraid its very much how long is a piece of string. Depends which bit and how badly. A number of weeks perhaps.

You need physio for sure and plenty of it. I carried on commuting on a bike when I did mine – it wasn’t painful to ride a bike. I couldn’t lift a pint in my right hand for weeks and weeks however.

valleydaddy
    Free Member

I tore mine playing hockey.

Get physio for sure, you may need a scan to see the extent of damage and worst case senario surgery can be the only answer for a serious tear.

If you doc didin’t offer any treatment ask for it

Kuco

Knackered mine last August still not right and go back to the Hospital this Friday 🙁

All the doc’s/physio’s I spoke to at the time said at least 6-12 months to get back to somewhere normal if every things going right and also Ligaments never heal the same once damaged.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Why do people think that the rotator cuff is some sort of mythical creature that lives in the shoulder? It’s a bunch of muscles the pull your humerus on to the scapula and help keep it there an move it around when needs must. As with most ligament injuries, strengthen the muscles that will be used to compensate for the gammy ligament.

_tom_
    Free Member

I think mine’s damaged. Been about 5 weeks so far and still can’t lift anything in front of me or lift arm up/to the side. Doctor gave me some exercises to do then self-refer to physio if its not sorted in another 2 weeks. Annoying! I can still ride though.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

_tom_ you see if you push the top of your arm directly down to the floor can you lift your arm up then?

andyfb78
    Free Member

get it scanned, i had a tear in mine for a long time and eventually i got to see a decent physio (NHS one) having tried several provate ones. kept being given stretching, strengthening exercises which were not helping. eventually howard bush, my NHS physio said after just two sessions, you should be seeing som improvement by now and sent me for a scan, sure enough torn.

surgery to fix.

took about 3 years to fix after that coz all my muscles had gone mad trying to compensate over the 18 months – 2 years it took for me to get to see a NHS physio.

All in all the NHS rock, I owe Howard a pint or two and private physios can be a load of rubbish.. but push the doc for a scan asap….

mine felt like just a niggle, and my bigger muscles (lats) were compensating for the movement.

only the can showed that it was a partial tear and needed a repair.

ramble over, but it lost me three good years of training and kept me off the bike for a long time…

Good luck

Andy

Duke
    Free Member

Crushed mine playing cricket, diving for a ball. Took the rest of last summer and over the winter before it was right again. No real moving parts in there so it is hard to massage and manipulate, ended up having a bit of heat treatment from the physio, basically just needed to rest it, it will take time.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Mine’s been troublesome since I was a teen – get some physio sorted and stick to it. Mine’s gone from a constant problem to almost 100% sorted using just physio.

It’s a bu66er though – a definite weak spot.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘rotator cuff injury – your advice please’ is closed to new replies.