Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 288 total)
  • Rockshox Upside Down Carbon Rigid Teaser Pic?
  • Superficial
    Free Member

Looks like a 2014 S-works camber 29er.

So 110mm travel (frame). Agree the choice of Hans Dampf is a bit weird for that bike.

http://www.sicklines.com/2013/07/23/2014-specialized-introduces-camber-expert-evo-and-comp-lineup-to-camber-range/

Onzadog
    Free Member

Maybe the tyre is just to show off the clearance.

JCL
    Free Member

Naah the tire is because journo’s are going to test the fork and they would look at you like you had two heads if you put a low profile 2″ tire on there regardless of the design intent.

ratherbeintobago

Naah the tire is because journo’s are going to test the fork and they would look at you like you had two heads if you put a low profile 2″ tire on there regardless of the design intent.

Wasn’t it MBR that used to put High Rollers on everything, regardless of design intent?

Crell
    Free Member

Isn’t it just the same maxle as the new Pike – revised 15mm. Looks identical.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

Whys a hans weird on the front of a camber? I run one on the front of a tallboy

ratherbeintobago

Isn’t it just the same maxle as the new Pike – revised 15mm. Looks identical.

That would make sense, but there again, why do they need to provide a new hub if it’s a standard 15x100mm?

Whys a hans weird on the front of a camber? I run one on the front of a tallboy

It’s not really an XC tyre, is it?

DanW
    Free Member

Doesn’t grab me aesthetically and the idea of unprotected stanchions doesn’t seem great but it would be very interesting to know the finer details.

The only questions that matters is… is revolutionising forks going to be as successful for SRAM as there foray in to revolutionising road brakes? 😐

tomhoward

XO trail brakes and SRAM roam wheels don’t point towards ‘XC race’ either. I’m reckoning 140mm trail, where the rev currently sits.

hammyuk
    Free Member

Something no-on seems to of caught on to yet…
    What ISN’T there at the bottom?

ratherbeintobago

As in? It’s not clear where the adjusters are…

tom200

Bring back memories of the Halson Inverions I had in 1994 8) hopefully they will have more than 50mm travel!

hammyuk
    Free Member

ratherbeintobago – Member
    As in? It’s not clear where the adjusters are…

Nope – Look at a “normal fork, look at what is there ALL TOGETHER then think about what the “isn’t” on this fork…

jameso

Fittings for a stanchion guard, at least not that I’ve seen.

ratherbeintobago

Nope – Look at a “normal fork, look at what is there ALL TOGETHER then think about what the “isn’t” on this fork…

[confused]There’s no arch, but then you’d not necessarily expect there to be on a USD fork[/confused]

Tracker1972
    Free Member

Way to fasten wheel, check.
    Place for brakes, check.

You looking for mudguard eyelets?

nedrapier

Canti bosses!

tomhoward

A crown race?

chestrockwell

Does this mean they’ll be loads of cheap Pikes about next year as we’ll no doubt be told they’re sh*t compared to these?

Will we also get thread after thread of people refusing to even consider upsidedown forks?

😐

hammyuk
    Free Member

Unsprung mass you heathens…..
    A “normal” fork has to control the movement of not only the wheel BUT the lowers, internals, etc AS WELL
    This way there is as little as 1/5th of the unstrung mass needing to be controlled as there is only the wheel, axle and mounts to control.
    Lighter mechanical, lighter springs, faster reacting, better damping, etc, etc, etc…..
    Why do you think Ohlins, Marzocchi, Showa, Kayaba, etc have done forks like this for 20yrs on MX, Race and Road?
    Unless the elite of STW’s world class engineers know better than the top 5% of the worlds best suspension experts?

DanW
    Free Member

hammy uk…

Don’t forget the Lefty! Things of beauty 😀

jameso

as little as 1/5th of the unsprung mass

Not quite that little here though? On a heavy motorbike fork maybe, I don’t know. This USD stanchion and a beefier dropout / hub system, vs lower legs and hub of a normal 15mm axle fork. Moving internals position vary between form brand/model, not just USD vs conventional and a magnesium fork lower on its own weighs sod all. Less unsprung mass probably here but not a lot less than an already light SID etc.

The thing I really see missing is crown height – this fork design could have a lower A-C height than a normal 100mm fork.

amedias
    Free Member

Something no-on seems to of caught on to yet…

see you confused us with this by making it sound like you’d thought of something new, when in fact unsprung mass was mentioned several times on earlier pages….and comes up in every discussion about USD forks!

ratherbeintobago

The thing I really see missing is crown height – this fork design could have a lower A-C height than a normal 100mm fork.

How helpful is this, though? I thought the limiting step was tyre/down tube clearance at max compression?

JCL
    Free Member

A “normal” fork has to control the movement of not only the wheel BUT the lowers, internals, etc AS WELL
    This way there is as little as 1/5th of the unstrung mass needing to be controlled as there is only the wheel, axle and mounts to control.
    Lighter mechanical, lighter springs, faster reacting, better damping, etc, etc, etc…..
    Why do you think Ohlins, Marzocchi, Showa, Kayaba, etc have done forks like this for 20yrs on MX, Race and Road?
    Unless the elite of STW’s world class engineers know better than the top 5% of the worlds best suspension experts?

There is no way the sliders/drop out in this fork have a lower unsprung mass that the magnesium lowers of a Sid etc. Especially when the lowers of a normal fork actuate the spring via a 10mm hollow aluminum rod. As Jameso said, the dropout would at least need a larger hub interface if not axle to compensate for the loss in torsional stiffness from the lack of brace.

It’ll probably have low static/dynamic friction due to the improved seal lubrication but apart from that it makes very little sense for mountain bikes. Horses for courses.

DT78
    Free Member

Definitely looks like wireless adjustment. Just seen on fresh goods magura have brought out a wireless kit for their forkd. Now where are the wireless gears!

Unless it uses some sort of brain concept

I wouldnt buy if there is no way to protect the stanchions. My lowers have loads of scratches….

kenneththecurtain
    Free Member

This always gets wheeled out in USD debates, I’m gonna do some copy/pasting from the last one:

For me it’s all about having the oil sat on the seals.

Cant imagine the unsprung weight thing matters.
    Normal fork unsprung weight = front wheel+brake caliper+lowers+axle+half a damper cart+half a coil spring+some oil
    USD unsprung weight = front wheel+brake caliper+stanchions+axle+half a damper cart+half a coil spring+some oil

I’d guess you would see as big a change in unsprung weight by putting a lighter front wheel on – and noone says ‘yea my suspension feels ace with this lighter wheel on…’

One of these days I’m gonna hit the garage and weigh some stuff, this has been annoying me for years

ratherbeintobago

Definitely looks like wireless adjustment.

I wouldn’t bet against adjustment by Allen key – what’s that port for at the top of one if the legs?

RustyNissanPrairie

The main reason for usd is the leverage forces acting on the slider/top bushing area.
    on a conventional fork the leverage forces are acting on the top of the fork just below the crown causing the upper stantions to effectively ‘bend’. This causes the upper bushing to bind as the fork compresses.
    with a usd fork this leverage or bending action is directed into substantially more material which resists the bending motion better and also the ‘top’ bushing is now in a fixed position half way down the fork and doesn’t bind as readily.

The only disadvantage is the rotational rigidity isn’t as great due to the lack of brace.

I had some Avalanche Racing USD forks on my Brooklyn Racelink and whilst they were the plushest fork I’d ever owned the were like trying to steer with two pieces of spaghetti.

I’m hung over and have a banging Peroni induced headache and cant explain it clearly but the main advantage to usd forks is the leverage/binding/small bump compliance/ forces acting on a larger diameter something or other

AlexSimon

Lack of visible adjustment is a bit weird. Not that I adjust my forks often at all, but I wonder if there’s something steerer-based or electronic.

mrmo
    Free Member

Lack of visible adjustment is a bit weird. Not that I adjust my forks often at all, but I wonder if there’s something steerer-based or electronic.

If it is an XC race fork, why would you need adjustment? Seriously adjust it once and it is pretty much done for ever of that once it doesn’t need to be that easily accessible. You really don’t need to be tweaking the settings all the time. As long as you can get some air into it your done.

DT78
    Free Member

What about lockout? Most xc forks have some sort of remote lockout. That Magura upgrade is a wireless lockout if I read it right…

gp
    Free Member

LoCo
    Free Member

Hopefully they’ll have a decent damper in even if the adjustment ( most likely an on/off lockout a la sid xxwc) is electronic/ wireless, however the damping isn’t as good as the rct3 on the ‘ lower spec’ forks.
    Have asked about price, availability etc on Friday but no info yet from Fishers

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

everyone
    Free Member

Spill the beans! Looks like SRAM are making tub wheels as well.

stu1972
    Free Member

Inverting stanchions effectively closer to trail obstacles. Genius.

Just waiting for all the “rad” coloured aftermarket silicone gaiter boots to appear.

gogg
    Free Member

Will they need special handlebars, like the 650b specific saddles we’ve seen recently?

Jamie
    Free Member

Inverting stanchions effectively closer to trail obstacles. Genius.

Assume they will have guards, like MX bikes do.

[img]http://i.imgur.com/ncOpOtp.png[/img]

Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 288 total)

The topic ‘Rockshox Upside Down Carbon Rigid Teaser Pic?’ is closed to new replies.