Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Road wheels question (bin diving content)
  • tinsy
    Free Member

I picked these wheels up from the tip the other week, thought they would go nice on the Raleigh pursuit I got last year (also from the tip)

Anyhow, I am not sure what they are all about, is it a ceramic braking area on the rim or isnt it for brakes at all? Its got a freehub with a 7 speed Sach’s block on it so it isnt a track wheelset, the tyres are glued onto the rim, does that mean the rim will only take that type of tyre?

Sorry if its a stupid question got no idea on road stuff.

Cost £3 to release them from the metal skip.

aP
    Free Member

Anyhow, I am not sure what they are all about, is it a ceramic braking area on the rim or isnt it for brakes at all? Its got a freehub with a 7 speed Sach’s block on it so it isnt a track wheelset, the tyres are glued onto the rim, does that mean the rim will only take that type of tyre?

Ceramic coating on the rims to reduce wear from blocks (and to provide better wet weather stopping)
    Thos are Campagnolo hubs, with a screwon block, look pretty good nick but will probably need a bit of maintenance.
    If the tyres are glued on then they’re tubular rims, so yes they’ll only take tubs.
    How many spokes are there? Are they true? Any loose spokes? Graunchy bearings?
    If they’re 32 hole rims I might be interested in taking them off your hands……..

pk-ripper
    Free Member

Can’t see the pics too clearly on my phone, but you’ve got campag hubs and mavic ceramic rims. If the tyre is glued on it’s like they’re tubs so you’ll need to glue another one on if that’s shagged as a normal tyre won’t fit

finbar
    Free Member

Nice find! Check out how much Campagnolo skewers go for on eBay.

tinsy
    Free Member

They appear to be almost new just been hanging up a long time, perfectly true and no loose anything, the tyres have inflated and holding air but look a bit perished.

So they are ceramic rims then, for use with brakes?

Guess I should try them on the bike, but a mate is currently using it to commute so his spare tube and patches is no use, and we need to get some spare tub type tryes, are they expensive?

I would like to use them rather than sell really.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

You can get new tubs on ebay for peanuts.

aP
    Free Member

So they are ceramic rims then, for use with brakes?

Yes

and we need to get some spare tub type tryes, are they expensive?

Yes you will, also tub tape or glue. No they’re not particularly expensive unless you think that you’re Chris Hoy.

MrSmith
    Free Member

they may not be ceramic. they just look like CD-grey to me.

tinsy
    Free Member

Great news, the tubs bit doesnt bother me, looks a simple enough system.

I doubt I will ride it myself for ages, my pal seems to be doing more riding on the £5 bike than I get to do on muti ££££ MTB’s..

Off now to check out Campag skewers and tubs on fleabay.

Will be a great additiond to the old Raleigh, in the words of the really old bloke in the pub, “a bikes not a bike without a bit of Campag on it”.

aP
    Free Member

Good point, do they actually have “Ceramic” written on them somewhere or are you just assuming that the grey ano is some special coating?

mathewshotbolt
    Free Member

are you guys sure that they are ceramic?

it could be an older version of mavic’s cd anodising which is tougher than a standard alloy rim but less so than ceramic coating.

tinsy
    Free Member

The older version of Mavics CD anodizing sounds quite likely, I said ceramic as they are grey all over, I can barely see any tell tale at all of brakes having been on them, wich is why I asked if they were suitable.

Not bothered what they are as long as I can run them ok with brakes.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Road wheels question (bin diving content)’ is closed to new replies.