Viewing 33 posts - 41 through 73 (of 73 total)
  • Road riding in MTB clothing.
  • DezB
    Free Member

One minute “it’s all cycling”, the next it’s as different as rugby and cricket. So confusing.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Strange types the cyclists who see themselves as mtb-ers

Why, because they’re different to you?.

iainc

If you’re after a comfy compromise, the Gore Alp X 2 in 1 bibs are a good option. I have a couple of pairs and use them for relaxed road use and touring, gravel riding etc.

renton
    Free Member

Ive got double sided touring pedals but wore my Shimano DX shoes!!

Any other recommendations on road stuff suitable for a fat lad 38/40 waist !

Bez

Lycra stretches, you know 😉

TiRed

My clubmate road races in sworks spd shoes and double sided pedals, and he’s won 2/3 races wearing a peaked helmet 😀 . He’s well on his way to 1st Cat and wins a lot of expert mtb races too.

Wear what you feel comfortable in. But decent bib shorts, even under baggies, are a great choice for any cyclist.

DezB
    Free Member

decent bib shorts, even under baggies, are a great choice for any cyclist.

Except maybe those who don’t like bib shorts…

fifeandy
    Free Member

Any other recommendations on road stuff suitable for a fat lad

https://fatladattheback.com/

daern
    Free Member

New to road biking here after years and years of mountain biking, so my wardrobe is very much filth oriented.

At the moment, I wear the same Gore bib tights that I wear under my baggies, but I leave the shorts at home. I then wear a TdY jersey that looks a little less mountain bikey and I find that noone gives me a second glance. I grudgingly admit that having less baggy kit on is much more practical for both road and mountain…

Shoes are still SPDs – no hurry to buy silly shoes at this point and the ones I have are nice and comfy. There’s a few few others at our club riding on SPDs, so it’s by no means unusual.

rocketman
    Free Member

I actually considered that when it was ridiculously hot, but then I considered rab c nesbitt’s string vest and thought again.

It’s a very strong look 🙂

sirromj

Bibs are for babies

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Probably because baggies on a road bike is a pain in the arse.

Flapping about, restricting movement and not as comfortable as just bibshorts.

Why are they a pain?

Yes, they flap a bit, but the don’t restrict movement & they are more comfy IMO. I find anything tight around the crown jewels uncomfortable.

Plus, i’m not buying any more kit, just to ride my road bike, that’s slightly different, just because that’s what people do.

Militant people being militant shocker.

Mister-P
    Free Member

In my 20 years on this forum I think the OP may be the first to wear baggies on a road bike. Wow, what a rebel.

imnotverygood

Wot clothes for a gravel bike?

iainc

^^^

iainc – Member
    If you’re after a comfy compromise, the Gore Alp X 2 in 1 bibs are a good option. I have a couple of pairs and use them for relaxed road use and touring, gravel riding etc.

POSTED 1 HOUR AGO #

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

My road bike has flat pedals.
    I wear my MTB clothing when on the road bike ‘cos I don’t have any Lycra. I also use a rucksack.
    I am comfy and can carry all my gear. Including a MTB helmet.
    DGAS what folk think of me as long as I am happy.

joebristol

I used to ride my road bike in Lycra shorts and a bike jersey hat was loose ish without being baggy. Comfortable to ride in and didn’t look too stupid.

Since then I’ve put on a bit of weight and no-one needs to see that son been riding to work either with said Lycra shorts on with just normal sports shorts over the top and a similar biking top, ornive been wearing my endura humvees.

Have to say I haven’t found baggier shorts an issue on the bike – although I’ve only been commuting about 9 miles each way to work a few days a week.

When (if) I get slim enough I may brave wearing the Lycra shorts uncovered again on the road bike.

Not that anyone else actually cares in the slightest.

philjunior
    Free Member

Shoes are still SPDs – no hurry to buy silly shoes at this point and the ones I have are nice and comfy. There’s a few few others at our club riding on SPDs, so it’s by no means unusual.

Quite a few full blown roadies I know ride on SPDs rather than waddling about like Pingu when at the cafe/clubhouse. It makes no difference to comfort and very little to performance.

Loose shorts will be uncomfortable and slow you down, and a loose top will not be usable for supplied in the back pockets and will also slow you down. And as others have said a peaked helmet will be uncomfortable.

That said, unless you’re riding the wrong way down a one way street at me (when one block either way is a one way street going that way) I’ll say hi/nod/wave as appropriate regardless of what bike we both happen to be on. Wear what you like, those that care what others look like don’t deserve

atlaz
    Free Member

I am comfy and can carry all my gear.

What gear do you need on a road bike that you can’t fit in a saddle pack and jersey pockets? Genuinely interested.

toby1

I’m quite round, I wear baggies so that people don’t think I’m a performing seal!

joefm

As long as you’re comfortable who cares what you wear. I don’t see mtb gear being restrictive. Unless you plan on dancing or something.

Although I avoid urban areas and shops/eating and drinking places in mine.

And if you’re just out for just riding some miles then you shouldn’t be bothered about things like aero.

so basically no reason for lycra

kiwijohn

imnotverygood – Member
    Wot clothes for a gravel bike?

The usual MTB gear; flannel shirt, baggies, MT91’s.

andytherocketeer

Always wear baggies, although the ones I tend to wear on the road or CX bike are slightly slimmer but stretchier fit (might be Altura, if not then might be DHB).
    Generally wear a jersey with 3 rear pockets when MTBing, so no different when on road.
    Have a mini camelback too.
    Rebel, and wear what you like. The Rules are there to be broken. Life would be boring if you have to conform.

SPDs all round here. Can then use 1 set of shoes. That’s not rebelling, it’s just being sensible.

pocpoc
    Free Member

I normally wear bibs and a not-as-loose-as-it-used-to-be road top that is generously sized, but only if I’m riding a full loop without stopping anywhere where there will be lots of people.
    Nobody deserves to have that image burnt on to their retinas! 😯
    But it is more comfortable for riding with less flapping fabric and if I go fast enough then I don’t offend anyone for a prolonged time.
    If I ever get down to the svelt figiure that I convince myself I can achieve then I may take a short ride to a busy cafe on a sunny day so I can pose in front of everyone.
    But then that’s probably never going to happen.

mooman
    Free Member

Nobeerinthefridge – Member
    Strange types the cyclists who see themselves as mtb-ers

Why, because they’re different to you?.

Not at all; strange because they themselves label themselves as different … I’m someone who cycles, that label is good enough for me

philjunior
    Free Member

and if you’re just out for just riding some miles then you shouldn’t be bothered about things like aero.

I could apply the same argument about riding anything beyond a BSO – or even riding rather than going for a jog. But most people can appreciate that going a bit faster means you can go a bit further and enjoy it a bit more.

Of course if your self definition of “A manly mountain biker that can’t wear tight clothes” prohibits visible lycra that’s fine, but nobody else really cares and you’re just making it harder for yourself.

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

What gear do you need on a road bike that you can’t fit in a saddle pack and jersey pockets? Genuinely interested.

POSTED 4 HOURS AGO # REPORT-POST

Depends. If out all day I have a First Aid kit, OS map and may even take a sandwich. 😀

I don’t even shave my legs.

Klunk
    Free Member

But most people can appreciate that going a bit faster means you can go a bit further and enjoy it a bit more.

what a load of rubbish, I enjoy slow rides I enjoy fast rides the speed has **** all to do with it.

imnotverygood

Depends. If out all day I have a First Aid kit, OS map and may even take a sandwich.

I don’t even shave my legs.
    I don’t either, takes up too much time & you need a source of water. I do it when I am at home.

BadlyWiredDog

Each to their own. The one thing I’d say is that flappy, loose clothing is just unpleasant on long, fast, alpine descents when it flaps about noisily and billows. Less of an issue in the UK, but quite nasty over a really extended downhill ime. Flappy windproof tops were designed by Satan.

But I honestly don’t care if other people want to wear layered crinoline petticoats as long as they’re happy.

wilburt
    Free Member

When these conversations come I always end up thinking who are all these people who use mtb kit for road riding?

I’m in one road club and familair with lots of riders from another road club and I was until recently in a mtb club.

So I know lots of people for who cycling is a big part of there life.

I dont however know anyone who rides a road bike with anything other than spd sl.

I dont know anyone who wears mtb clothing to ride road.

I dont know anyone who has discs on a summer bike.

I do know lots of people who wear lycra on mtb( try any competitive xc event).

This is all fitness/club/race rides btw if your commuting or going to the pub people will wear whatever.

wilburt
    Free Member

So good I said it twice!

RustySpanner

atlaz – Member

You can get full picnic kit and a book in your pockets?
    🙂

Viewing 33 posts - 41 through 73 (of 73 total)

The topic ‘Road riding in MTB clothing.’ is closed to new replies.