Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)
  • Road Bike Braking On Steep Hills. Fast and Hard or Long and Slow?
  • twisty

I actually think the plastic bag thing might be worth a try, it isn’t going to be fast but it could be fun, a plastic bag doesn’t take up much space in the back pocket. Anything that prolongs the life of brake pads and rims has to be good right?

Here is some inspiration

TheBrick
    Free Member

I remember making parashoot brakes as a kid. Works quite well.

Second brKing on a fully loaded tourer on a steep hill as fun. Melting pad smell!!! Lovely!!!!!!

philjunior
    Free Member

I remember stopping a tandem with hope 4 pots on fairly rapidly from about 50mph (stoker’s laces were wrapped around the pedal axle).

Quite smoky brakes after that. I don’t know the solution btw, but on trails everyone says to MTFU and brake less so try that and let us know if you live.

aP
    Free Member

Titterstone Incline?
    I do find it hard to believe that there’s a near 300m descent on a road in less than half a mile in the UK. (Yes, I know careful use of mixed measurements…)

allyharp

I experienced overhearing brakes on my road discs for the first time today and had to use the run off escape chute! Whilst touring and carrying camping gear I was on the 25% descent down to Lynmouth. I was probably doing the worst of both approaches – light dragging with regular pulsing. The brakes faded and were preventing me gathering any more speed, but wouldn’t bring me below about 10mph, and the front was smoking when I stopped.

bullandbladder
    Free Member

Not experienced overheated road brakes, but did once experience an overheated front rim followed shortly by an exploding front tyre whilst braking hard at speed coming off the Col du Glandon. That was quite an experience.

tjagain

For me braking hard to slow down when needed – partly ‘cos I like the fun of going fast and partly because it reduces heat buildup. alternate brakes if you need / want to drag to give each brake chance to recover. At higher speeds the brakes cool quicker ( greater airflow) dragging brakes at slow speeds is the best way to overheat them

busta
    Free Member

Keep cool. Do skids. Locking the wheel means the brakes don’t generate any heat. Bingo.

andysredmini
    Free Member

I forgot to update this thread. I went back last Friday to try again. This time there was a new element added. It had rained. Getting up was one of the hardest things I have ever done on a bike. I had wheel spin on every pedal stroke probably loosing me quarter of every stroke. I made it to the top without stopping which I was very pleased with. Descending though was sketchy to say the least. The road has a thin layer of moss in places which when wet meant it was like riding on ice. Fast and hard braking didn’t work at all. Dragging and riding slow worked to a point but it didn’t take long for the burning rubber smell to appear. In the end it was a medium speed and swapping between front and rear brake that felt most efficient / safest although it was very easy to lock the front or rear on the mossy bits. It was great fun though and I can’t wait to do it again.
    Interestingly a friend who won’t mind me saying is a terrible descender did it the next day on a disc giant defy and had no problem at all. He braked consistently the whole way down and didn’t suffer any fade.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

I’ve been wondering about this too. Could you try each method of braking and use something like this to check temp of rim?
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/BENETECH-Non-Contact-Infrared-Digital-Thermometer/dp/B007Q87J3U

My gf and I were touring in Cuba and had a scary descent from Topes de Collantes. They don’t have nice 8-10% gradients like they do in the Alps! More like 30% for miles, and we were on loaded bikes. Just had to keep stopping.

atlaz
    Free Member

More like 30% for miles,

REEEEEALY? 🙂

Looks like the average is mid-teens depending on what version of the climb/descent you look at

TiRed

Don’t drag your brakes unless you have a “drag brake”. Brake hard to scrub speed, allow rims to cool and repeat.

The tandem has a proper drag brake designed for a moped with cooling fins. Not a light option 😉

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

REEEEEALY?

well it certainly felt like it 🙂

ransos
    Free Member

Don’t drag your brakes unless you have a “drag brake”. Brake hard to scrub speed, allow rims to cool and repeat.

This. Especially them fancy carbon rims. I saw plenty of riders in the Alps who had blown inner tubes due to overheating their rims from brake drag.

Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘Road Bike Braking On Steep Hills. Fast and Hard or Long and Slow?’ is closed to new replies.