Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • RNLI
  • maycontainnuts

Anyone else felt the need for an impromptu donation? Not only a worthy cause helping to save lives both home AND abroad, but also pisses off some racist gammon’s and teh Daily Fail in equal measure. Truly a warm fuzzy feeling.

Back story for those living in caves;
    Daily Fail hatchet job – Outrage as £3.3m of YOUR donation money helps to save foreign children. They even squeezed in the word “burkinis”.
    Gammons – Disgrace, I’m not giving them another penny!
    Everyone else – Hey that’s cool, have a donation.

Guardian Link

As ever Twitter owns this sort of stuff see #RNLI_disgrace for more

somafunk

Donations are up thanks to the racist daily mail and their reporting

bigrich

“Part of MailOnline’s headline read: “How £3.3m of donations to lifeboat charity are spent abroad including aid for Tanzania swimmers and creches in Bangladesh.”

they are slipping. it should be ‘how 3.3m of YOUR donations….’

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Mixed feelings, the crews do a wonderful job but the management actions have tarnished my opinions of them after they tried to muscle in/squeeze out the work the oldest surf lifesaving club in the country did in their town.

Drac

Mixed feelings, the crews do a wonderful job but the management actions have tarnished my opinions of them after they tried to muscle in/squeeze out the work the oldest surf lifesaving club in the country did in their town.

Saving some young kids drowning superceeds that in my book.

outofbreath
    Free Member

Deffo worth donating to the RNLI, but in addition don’t forget the independents who provide almost half of the UK’s lifeboat services.

There are dozens, but as a starter for ten a few local ones to me here:

https://haylingrescue.com/support/
    https://www.freshwaterlifeboat.org.uk/donate.html
    https://www.gofundme.com/f/solent-rescue
    https://www.justgiving.com/hamblelifeboat
    http://gafirs.org.uk/donate/

None of them are wealthy – I can guarantee they will work your £ harder than any large charity.

bsims
    Free Member

Thankfully they are there to rescue those in need. I am very sure most rnli volunteers would be horrified at the suggestion of selective rescues.

They would also rescue the children of idiot gammon who let them out into the sea on inflatables in inappropriate conditions.

Edit: this is well worth a read.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Penlee-Loss-Lifeboat-Michael-Sagar-Fenton/dp/1850221286

submarined
    Free Member

What a wonderful and heart warming article. Donated.

Poopscoop

Yeah, I sent on Twitter just to take a look and instantly remembered why I don’t go on there.

Usual head bangers but also many decent people that would like people saved irrelevant of 23andMe results.

Made a small donation.

bigrich

this is the type of thing that influences how the british are viewed globally, and it will directly affect ‘gloal britain’ post brexit.

the newspaper editors know this, so the jingoistic headlines to shift todays papers is dangerous.

Cougar

Cougar

This is the preferred donation page, from RNLI’s own Twitter feed.

https://rnli.org/support-us/give-money/donate

I wonder if the Mail’s smear piece is having a net opposite effect to the one intended? I do hope so. I’ve seen plenty of “OMG never donating again!” posts from people who probably never donated in the first place.

submarined
    Free Member

You can donate through the PayPal app as well. It’s on the more ellipses bit in the bottom right, then just select ‘support a charity’ and search for the RNLI. Takes about a minute 🙂

phil5556

As crew it’s nice to see all the support we’re receiving off the back of this – cheers 👍

phiiiiil

We went to the RNLI station and shop in Beaumaris today because we heard about this. They have a bit more money to spend in whatever way they see fit, our daughter has a new lifeboat to play with in the bath, everyone is happy!

outofbreath
    Free Member

I wonder if the Mail’s smear piece is having a net opposite effect to the one intended?

It’s done exactly what they intended. It’s gone viral and generated gazillions of clicks. The Mail stories that cause offence are their biggest earners by a country mile.

CountZero

There’s a regular RNLI fundraising table in the shopping precinct in town, and I never fail to give a donation, despite the sea being roughly sixty miles away.
    I also give to BARB – Burnham Area Rescue Boats whenever I’m in Burnham-on-Sea, they operate two hovercraft as well as inshore inflatable rescue boats. They’re independent but operate with the RNLI, and the hovercraft are essential along the six mile long beach, the tide goes out a mile or so, exposing expanses of deep mud which can and does trap those who ignore the warnings.
    Like the RNLI, the crews are all volunteers, and survive by the generosity of the public.

outofbreath
    Free Member

Burnham Area Rescue Boats

They don’t make donating easy, do they? Every other independent has a single link but BARB:

Support us by sending cheques, payable to ‘BARB’, to BARB at Marine Rescue Centre, The Esplanade, Burnham, TA8 1BB.

Looks like a very worthy cause, though.

nickb

Use amazon?
    Did you know if you buy everything from smile.amazon.co.uk you can choose to send a small amount of what you spend to one of a number of charities – RNLI is on the list.

It’s only 0.5%, and only on qualifying purchases, but every little helps!

Nick

More info here:
    https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/chpf/about/ref=smi_se_rspo_laas_aas

“Amazon will donate 0.5% of the net purchase price (excluding VAT, returns and shipping fees) of your eligible AmazonSmile purchases.”

timidwheeler

I think I’m a victim of viral marketing.

I just made a £20 donation to the RNLI despite living in Buckinghamshire.

I seem to have an infliction where by if the Daily Mail say something is bad I automatically support it; without thinking or research.

I had to be so careful clicking links during the ashes. A moment of inattention and I started feeling sorry for David Warner.

duncancallum

Gixer from this parish did 18 yrs till he moved to Bolton.

Not much call for rnli over this way….

PJM1974
    Free Member

I wonder if the Mail’s smear piece is having a net opposite effect to the one intended? I do hope so. I’ve seen plenty of “OMG never donating again!” posts from people who probably never donated in the first place.

To be fair, it’s a shining example of why sixteen year old me, working in a well known national chain of newspaper retailers said “F*** me, I’m not spending 32p of my money on this racist shitrag”

Twenty-nine years on and I’m pleased to report that I’ve not spent a penny of my hard earned on that fetid shitrag.

Time to make a donation to the RNLI I think.

Nico
    Free Member

Deffo worth donating to the RNLI, but in addition don’t forget the independents who provide almost half of the UK’s lifeboat services.

Rather less fashionably the coastguard – civil servants paid from the public purse in part but also including volunteers (https://www.gov.uk/volunteer-as-a-coastguard) – are also a major part of the whole safety at sea malarkey.

garage-dweller

I’m a very long term supporter. They have pulled a few people I’ve known out of the drink over the years.

Yes they’re a bit corporate in their approach but you can’t run a charity of that size and complexity without that commercial acumen.

A former colleague of mine is volunteer crew and spent a week doing his day job in his full foul weather gear to raise funds. Massive respect in what was one of the hotter weeks of the summer and included traipsing into meetings in central London.

The fact the Faily Stale wants to get upset about the small part of the budget spent overseas is just an added bonus.

Just going to say as well what a lovely bunch a lot of the shore based volunteers are who keep the stations open to visitors.

raybanwomble
    Free Member

I assume the outrage amongst the defo not racist – “charity starts at home” lot – on twitter is immense. That phrase marks the person who utters it out as a cretin.

Flaperon

Donated 🙂

DezB
    Free Member

I wonder if they’ll save anyone from the Mail..

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Do the same people also refuse to support Help For Heroes because the beneficiaries were helping people outside of the UK?

Edit: oh hold on, I’ll ask

ads678

I just wanted to bump this thread so it stays up top rather than the other one!!

….and I certainly wont be stopping donating to the RNLI, they’re bloody great IMO.

Richie_B

I seem to have an infliction where by if the Daily Mail say something is bad I automatically support it; without thinking or research.

Thats not an affliction, just a healthy dose of humanity.

Who ever it was thanks for the PayPal and smile links.

gobuchul
    Free Member

@franksinatra

Lets just file that in the Conversations That Didn’t Actually Happen box shall we?

From the other closed RNLI thread. I can assure you that conversation did happen. He’s an ex-D Class Coxswain and got totally pissed off with them.

Our local, full time Coxswain, resigned last year. Not yet replaced. They have got lots of young and very keen crew but they have lost a lot of the really experienced crew. A couple of weeks in Poole cannot replace 20+ years of professional seagoing experience.

Houns

Imagine the Gammons outrage if they ever saw this filth on RNLI mugs

Marin
    Free Member

Always donate to them when I see them. They were plan no 7 or 8 when I worked on a boat if the poo hit the fan. “Rescued” a yacht off Inverness to save them a call out and got in the papers! My mum used to collect for them outside the supermarket and insisted no flowers at her funeral just donate to the RNLI instead.

Kuco

RNLI, Mountain Rescue, and air ambulance charity boxes are about the only ones I always put into.

andyl
    Free Member

I also give to BARB – Burnham Area Rescue Boats whenever I’m in Burnham-on-Sea, they operate two hovercraft as well as inshore inflatable rescue boats. They’re independent but operate with the RNLI, and the hovercraft are essential along the six mile long beach, the tide goes out a mile or so, exposing expanses of deep mud which can and does trap those who ignore the warnings.

And a lot of the people they rescue on the beaches around Burnham and W-S-M are not British but visitors from abroad who don’t realise how dangerous the mud is – Daily Mail readers will be outraged. Maybe the RNLI and other emergency services should ask to check passports before they rescue anyone (insert roll-eyes face)

I’m of the thinking we are one planet and I don’t mind my money helping those abroad and in fact would rather things like UK organisations helping to train people in other countries did happen. After all when I go away I hope there is someone half as skilled and dedicated as our emergency services should I need them.

As for the burkinis (spelling), I’ve not read the articles but did see them flash up. I am guessing one problem is girls being forced to swim in unsuitable clothes and drowning or not being able to go into the water at all. If 2% of RNLI donations go to address safety and help balance some kind equality then I am more than okay with that.

andyl
    Free Member

oh and if anyone around Bristol/Mendips way is looking to donate then the ASSAR is another that gets my vote: http://www.assar.org.uk/

Also look up your local group around where you ride.

athgray
    Free Member

Daily Mail readers will be furious if the RNLI are rescuing immigrants or foreign nationals on holiday, if it turns out a homeless ex-serviceman drowned in Morcambe bay whilst suffering a bout of PTSD!!

Homeless ex service personnel with PTSD seem to be the yardstick against which the worth of assistance is measured for most DM readers.

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘RNLI’ is closed to new replies.