Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)
  • RIP Barry
  • blitz

Faced a very sad situation earlier today of finding a rider collapsed on the trail. 😔

My riding buddy and I were climbing up from Pitch Hill car park in the Surrey Hills when we came across a lady and her daughter on the phone next to the collapsed rider. We went over and it was clear he was in a bad way. He was quite cyanosed and unresponsive. We gave CPR for 20 minutes until the ambulance crew arrived and then carried on helping to hold up bags of fluids whilst they took over and tried to revive him with adrenaline etc. Unfortunately he never got into a shockable rhythm and didn’t make it.

He only had a small cut on his chin and had taken his gloves and helmet off, so it appeared he most likely he began to feel unwell and then had a heart attack, rather than a bad fall.

All I know is that he was named Barry and was just 48. I hope he had a good life and died doing something he loved. RIP 😔

scaredypants

bit early but not a bad way to go

RIP Barry

jamj1974

It sounds like you did all you could. Poor guy.

stumpy01

That’s terrible to hear. RIP Barry!

Make sure you are ok. That’s quite something to experience and will take some time to process.

footflaps

Poor bloke. RIP.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Good effort on the CPR. Just remember that CPR is an attempt to perform a miracle so don’t feel guilty that it didn’t work. It’s quite a common reaction after something like that.

nickc

Good effort @blitz, you did the right thing. Poor Barry and his folks

dirtyboy

RIP Barry

There but for the grace of God go I.

Never ride on if your body tells you something is wrong, had mine 6yrs ago at BPW aged 42yrs old and went to the hospital a day later, week later 3 Stents and on Meds for life.

Symptoms were minor a feeling like someone squeezing your jaw and poking you in the chest, my legs refused to spin despite me trying to chase my mate down one of the blues.

Only time I have ever rang my missus whilst out biking to come and pick me up and I have had a few tumbles/injuries.

I have to carry aspirin and angina spray whilst riding. Never used them after about 6 months of recovery time, it turns out that my liver has thrown out bad cholesterol due to a hereditary
    genetic condition since puberty and I’m on statins and it dropped my cholesterol from 7.5 to 2 in a month.

matt_outandabout

Good effort OP. A desperate situation if CPR is needed.

RIP Barry.

funkmasterp

Hope you’re okay OP and RIP Barry, ride on

nbt

RIP Barry and well done you for helping

blitz

Good effort on the CPR. Just remember that CPR is an attempt to perform a miracle so don’t feel guilty that it didn’t work. It’s quite a common reaction after something like that.

I don’t think either of us were ever hopeful sadly. He looked like he’d died some time before we got to him and never looked like pulling through.

One thing I would like to promote was one of the ambulance crew mentioned the what3words app and recommended we installed it. It can help them track you down in remote locations.

https://what3words.com/products/what3words-app/

I’ve made sure I’ve installed it.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

RIP Barry and fantastic work OP. Dont forget what you have been through a traumatic event. Seek guidance or help if you need to talk about it.

masterdabber
    Free Member

Well done for trying @blitz  You could only do your best.  RIP Barry

tenfoot

Very sad to hear but it sounds like you did all you could.

mogrim

We were out riding our road bikes about this time last year. Nice sunny day, not too hot, just enjoying the ride. We were still warming up when we got overtaken by a group of riders and decided to hang on the back. All went well for the next 20km or so, riding as a group and doing the usual road ride thing.

So after about 45min or so one of the guys in the other club suddenly swerved sideways, knocked a couple of riders off and I was lucky my endo didn’t leave me on the floor. We all stop (obviously), and help the guy who’d swerved to the side of the road, waiting for an ambulance. He’s conscious, but a bit dazed. Me and my mates leave them as the situation is under control.

A week later we bump into the group again. “How’s your mate?” “Lucky he fell off – he had an undiagnosed heart condition, and thanks to that fall he had an emergency operation to sort it out”.

TL;DR: over 45, get your heart checked out by a doctor.

duncancallum

Respect for trying to help.

What a shame for everyone

tuboflard

Well done @blitz and take comfort in you doing everything you could. Also make sure you take time to reflect and speak about it to friends even though you didn’t know him I can imagine it’s something that’ll be in your thoughts for some time.

A good friend of mine died whilst mountain biking in the south of France a few years back, a heart attack and was biking alone. As said above, he was doing something he loved so that’s a positive way to look at it.

chriscubed

Sounds like you handled it well and did all that was possible.
    Agree with howsyourdad1, make sure you are ok too, that’s a tough situation to be in

Bullet

Not something I think I’m prepared for as never had any real first aid training. Did a rudimentaryCPR thing years ago at work, hopefully will never find out but maybe instinct takes over.

RIP Barry

timbog160

RIP Barry. Very sad esp for his family. Hope you are ok OP and also the lass and her daughter.

blitz

RIP Barry. Very sad esp for his family. Hope you are ok OP and also the lass and her daughter.

Thanks all. Think I’m still processing it but feel ok.

We had to wait to give statements to the police and the lady came over to us to thank us. She looked really shaken up and was in tears. When we were giving CPR I asked her daughter to go to the road to direct the ambulance up and only realised later that she was probably only about 14. I hope she was ok. Must’ve been very difficult for them both as they first found him just before we came along.

montylikesbeer

Well done for stepping up, when one of us goes it’s never good

doubleeagle
    Free Member

RIP Barry. Sorry to hear there’s one less biker on the trails.

Well done OP for doing what you could.

gordimhor

Well done for doing the cpr, I’ve been trained for it but never had to do it. Hope I never have to. Poor Barry, Rip.

Sandwich

@blitz Sending the daughter was probably the best thing for her, good incident management from you too. CPR can look quite a violent procedure for those who haven’t seen it before.

Well done for stepping up and giving it a go.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Rough day OP. You did what you could and I bet that it’ll be great comfort to his family that good people were with him.

P20

Well done on the CPR. You have gave him a chance. Without that he definitely dies. As a Paramedic, seriously thank you, it could have made the difference.

rip Barry

garage-dweller

Well done you and your buddy and the lady and daughter.

It’s far too easy to pass by things that have gone wrong and not stop and help. I hope to goodness that if anything happens to me I am fortunate enough to have someone like you find me and give me a chance I’d otherwise lose.

I hope you and all involved don’t suffer too many I’ll effects from the experience.

Best wishes

TiRed

RIP Barry. Well done OP. When I did the same to a club mate after a crash I can tel you that Vinnie Jones “stayin alive” works. Sadly Ralph didn’t make it either. But I looked back over events and I can honestly say that me and my riding group did everything right. I’m sure you did too.

In the field CPR has a remarkably low success rate. But you can never make a grave situation worse.

reluctantjumper

Condolences to Barry’s family.

As others have said CPR is always a last resort thing so don’t beat yourself up about it not saving him. At least he went doing something he, presumably, loved doing and with family nearby.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

You did your best OP – don’t beat yourself up over it whatever you do.

It’s heartening to know there’s blokes like you who’ll do their best for a total stranger, a kindness that I sometimes think is lacking in today’s society.

RIP Barry, whoever you were, happy trails bud…

rp123
    Free Member

Barry was a good friend of ours, and this has obviously come as a huge shock. His wife has asked that I post these words on her behalf:

Thank you to the riders who tried to help my darling Barry on Friday. We his friends and loved ones are devasted by this terrible loss. He loved to ride. He loved his friends and family. And he loved his life. Thank you for doing all you could. And thank you to the emergency crews who came to help. Stay safe and well out there and keep on looking after each other. With love to you all. Tash (Barry’s Wife).

funkmasterp

My deepest condolences to Tash and the rest of Barry’s family and loved ones.

Dickyboy

Rp123 thanks for the update post, I’m sure the OP will appreciate it.

paulneenan76
    Free Member

RIP Barry.
    Sobering experience.

DezB
    Free Member

Oh, that’s sad. RIP Barry. Thoughts to those he’s left behind 🙁

blitz

@rp123 I’m so sorry for your loss. Barry and his loved ones have been in my thoughts a lot over the weekend. I can only imagine what a shock this must have been for you all. Thank you for relaying Tash’s message and I’d just like to offer my sincere condolences.

sillysilly
    Free Member

So sad to hear. Hits home more when it’s a trail you ride often and someone so young.

RIP

trevorn
    Free Member

Blitz,

Thank you so much for trying so hard to help Baz. He was a great friend of mine and many others – who will no doubt be in touch to express their heartfelt gratitude for your efforts. I am quite sure that If the roles were reversed he would have stepped up too. My heart goes out to the lady and her daughter who were with Baz before you arrived. This must have been a very shocking scene for them too. The comments from this community on your post have provided much comfort to all who knew Baz.

Baz was a great man – who lived life to the full with his lovely wife Natasha. They had so many adventures together and had so many friends who they connected with through various activities including his love of mountain bikes and all things mechanical and technological.

While his untimely death is a great shock to us all, and it is, I feel lucky and very privileged to have shared almost 40 years of friendship with a good lad like Baz. If you knew him, you loved him, and looked forward to hanging out with him.

Thank you for doing all you could for him. It’s a great comfort to know that there are good people in the world who try with all they have to save the life of someone in such distress. I will make sure that I learn CPR and first aid so that I can step up for someone else if needed.

Finally, as an accomplished network engineer, Baz would fully endorse What3words as a tool to accurately triangulate your position for many good reasons outside of this one.

Please reach out to those skilled to help you talk about and process this situation, hug your loved ones a bit harder, remind those you love that you do just that – love them and raise the the nozzle of your camelbak to Baz once in a while on that trial – which he loved to ride. You’re a good person for doing what you did, we are all grateful to you for doing all you could and I hope one day to tell you that in person.

Ride well Bazman… we all miss you x

Thanks Blitz 👍

Trev

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘RIP Barry’ is closed to new replies.