Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Rigid fork geometry
  • keithb

Does anyone out there have any insight into rigid fork geometry?

I’m looking to fit a rigid fork to my 1997 Kona Kilauea, but P2’s of the right generation are like hens teeth.. (415mm A-C with a 1″1/8th Ahead steerer >200mm).

In looking for alternative I’ve found Evans selling this:
    [/url]

Which is the right length, has all the mounts you could ever need, is a good price BUT…

The off-set is 50mm…

Does anyone know how this may impact the steering/handling? I seem to remember from the relatively early days of 29ers that fork geometry massively impacted how they felt, with a change in off-set counteracting the larger wheels tendency to steer slowly…

So will this make an already lively bike super twitchy?

Cheers all,
    Keith

amedias
    Free Member

It’ll reduce the trail slightly and make it a little quicker on the steering front, but you’d get used to it quickly and it’s a fairly small change, you *might* not even notice.

What fork is on there at the moment? If it’s a boinger then any rigid is likely to feel livelier anyway.

TBH, I’d hold out for finding a P2, they pop up quite regularly in 420mm A2C which will be fine on that frame. Are you going to stick with rim brakes or after disc?

The disc P2s are often a fair bit heavier and not as comfy as the lower legs are beefed up (as is any disc fork), the mid-90’s triple butted rim brake only ones are the best of the bunch. can ften be had 2nd hand for £20-£40 on here and RetroBike forum.

Another option is a 425mm A2C Salso Cromoto, which in my opinion is a nicer ride than the P2s anwyay, but also a bit hard to find in stock anywhere!

rOcKeTdOg

I think I might have a P2 in the shed of that type, email me & I’ll have a look over the weekend if you want

keithb

Thanks for the replies both.

Have emailed you, Rocketdog

Cheers
    keith

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Rigid fork geometry’ is closed to new replies.