Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Ride characteristic differences between Carbon and Alloy Full Sus frames
  • gaz552
    Free Member

Just a quick thread looking opionions as I’m close to pulling the trigger on a YT Ind Capra which would be my first carbon framed bike.
    So I’m wondering what the differences in ride characteristics between carbon and alloy frames are?
    Usually carbon frames are lighter but I’m more interested in the ride/feel.

I know there’s usually a lot of talk about alloy vs steel frames, were people say thinkgs like ‘steel is real’, alloy dampens the ride etc etc… but there’s not much discussion about alloy vs carbon frames especially with regards to full suspension frames.

I’ve seen threads on here and in some magazines as well talking about how carbon is durable and actually usually repairable if needed, so that’s not really a concern.

So I’m looking for people’s opinions on ride characteristics between carbon and alloy.

JoB
    Free Member

you can’t generalise, a manufacturer can make a carbon or alloy frame to be as stiff/compliant/light/flexy/durable as they want

how a frame is designed and manufactured is more important than material

gaz552
    Free Member

So there’s no inherent ‘deadening’ characteristics of carbon fibre as a frame material I should be worried about then.
    It’s all down to how they design/use it, which is good.

maxtorque

99.9% of what you read about “ride feel” due to frame material is compete rubbish!

Hint1: how flexy would a frame have to be to “absorb” road inputs and where would that energy go? (if you answered “about as flexy as a shock/fork” then give yourself 10 points)

Hint2: You can easily estimate the primary “ride frequency” of a bike, just hit it with something and listen to the frequency at which it vibrates. Whilst a “ringy” steel frame may make a nice “bell” sound at say 800hz, and a carbon frame a bit more of a thunk at say 400hz, do you think your ass can tell the difference?

Hint3: How many times is even the crappiest least stiff frame stiffer than the softest components on the bike (namely the tyres)?

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Its about design envelope, not material.

JoB
    Free Member

well, carbon is often used to ‘deaden’ the ride to make a bike more comfortable to ride, then again it can also be used to make a bike as stiff as you’d dare, it’s all about application of the material

but for a full suspension bike you generally want the chassis to be as stiff as possible so the suspension bits can do their job properly, how that suspension system is designed and how they’re adjusted will make more difference to the ride than what material the frame is made from

phatstanley
    Free Member

99.9% of what you read about “ride feel” due to frame material is compete rubbish!

Hint1: how flexy would a frame have to be to “absorb” road inputs and where would that energy go? (if you answered “about as flexy as a shock/fork” then give yourself 10 points)

Hint2: You can easily estimate the primary “ride frequency” of a bike, just hit it with something and listen to the frequency at which it vibrates. Whilst a “ringy” steel frame may make a nice “bell” sound at say 800hz, and a carbon frame a bit more of a thunk at say 400hz, do you think your ass can tell the difference?

Hint3: How many times is even the crappiest least stiff frame stiffer than the softest components on the bike (namely the tyres)?

this ^^^

gaz552
    Free Member

Well I know coming at it from a motocross bike point of view that steel framed bikes do feel different to alloy framed ones. (Steel feels more a live and reactive and alloy almost feels dead in comparison, yet in actual fact the alloy frames are much stiffer and the steel frames actually flex.)
    However there are so many other things affecting motocross bikes especially all that weight and where it’s located, engine rotation; that I just want some opinions from mountain bike riders with relevant experience about mountain bike frames.

Mbnut
    Free Member

In the case of the goat it is the geometry and leverage ratio that will be the deciding fa tors.

Very slack fro t end and a steep seat tube… and the leverage ratio is very progressive.

I reckon it’ll need to be ridden hard for maximum effect…

Enjoy

Mbnut
    Free Member

In the case of the goat it is the geometry and leverage ratio that will be the deciding fa tors.

Very slack fro t end and a steep seat tube… and the leverage ratio is very progressive.

I reckon it’ll need to be ridden hard for maximum effect…

Enjoy

Mbnut
    Free Member

Sorry.. not good on the phone…

mikewsmith
    Free Member

rode carbon and alloy SC Blurs, the carbon was stiffer and felt more direct when you put the power down – thats a personal feel thing.

But as said above it’s a very versatile material that can be made into lots of things – the running blades for amputees that flex vs some very stiff components.

If it’s an issue wait until some people get their hands on the bike, all I’ve seen is the dirt photo shoot which seemed like they hadn’t actually been allowed to ride it.

chiefgrooveguru

The Capra looks awesome. I wouldn’t think about the frame material much – you’ve got 170mm travel damping its behaviour and the chainstays are alloy anyway!

gaz552
    Free Member

chiefgrooveguru – Member

The Capra looks awesome. I wouldn’t think about the frame material much – you’ve got 170mm travel damping its behaviour and the chainstays are alloy anyway!

It’ll be one of the 2 Comp models with the RS Pike I’ll be going for so I’ll ‘only’ have 160mm travel lol (probably Comp 2 as it’s the Grey, Black with red details rather than bright green frame).
    I tend to try and jump off everything I can, so I like the idea of having more travel than I probably need for when I push harder.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Ride characteristic differences between Carbon and Alloy Full Sus frames’ is closed to new replies.