Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)
  • Rick Steins Chippy
  • geologist
    Free Member

In Falmouth working and thought id check it out. Fish n Chips is my fav food, I always make an effort to go the best chippies all over the UK where ever I am working. I think I am a fish n chip connoisseur, and want to make eating fish n chips part of the entry requirments for Brit citizenship.

Well I was expecting them to be good, but bloody ell the fish was superb! Chips average, Fish amazing, the best I ever had I reckon. Im going for my lunch tomoz as well 🙂

Scamper
    Free Member

If the chips are only average, as i found, it does not matter how good the fish is. Having a beer from the fridge while i waited for my order was a bonus, mind.

saleem
    Free Member

Yes I had some nice skate and red mullet out of there, I didn’t like the chips either.

cheez0
    Free Member

nice chippy in porthleven, complete with fat fish-scrounging cat! (left side of harbour, nice people)
    sod stein and his bloody cornish takeover.

carlosg
    Free Member

sod stein and his bloody cornish takeover keeping local people in jobs

FTFY 😀

We went to a pub for a meal last Cornwall holiday , he happened to own the pub and the meals were fantastic (tasty,good portion size,fairly priced) and the staff were all polite and appeared to be happy.

PMK2060

i went to ‘fish & chips at 149’ in Bridlington last week. The chippy won best UK fish & chip shop last year. The fish was excellent but i have had better chips. I will be going again though when i am next in the area. I am hungry now…

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

The F&C restaraunt at the front of Saltburn pier is really good, went a couple of weeks ago but it cost me £40 for 2 of us!

Didn’t realise you had to pay to park since last time we were there, got stung with a £25 parking fine. 🙄

Excellent all round though.

zokes
    Free Member

There used to be an amazing one in Sedburgh in the How Gills, but sadly I’ve heard recently that the original owners have sold the business. I’ve yet to sample the new owners’ wares, but sadly Sedburgh is a bloody long way from Adelaide. I think I miss decent fish and chips even more than I do decent English ale!

colonelwax
    Free Member

My Mrs hates Rick Stein, purely based on his TV persona.

I have nothing to add on the quality of his food BTW.

khani
    Free Member

There used to be an amazing one in Sedburgh in the How Gills, but sadly I’ve heard recently that the original owners have sold the business. I’ve yet to sample the new owners’ wares, but sadly Sedburgh is a bloody long way from Adelaide. I think I miss decent fish and chips even more than I do decent English ale!

We go to Sedburgh every year for a week housesitting for friends, we were told about it changing hands and were worried that it would be crap! but it was still lovely I’m happy to report 😀

sparkyrhino

Does mr stein serve gravy with his fish n durks ?

PrinceJohn

Harbour lights up the road does good chips, you should also check out hand bar on the high street – beers from all around the world.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Actually, talking of chips, the best ones in the world are at The Hope & Anchor in Alnmouth, & thats based on an official survey by me & Mrs Gruntfuttock over the last 2 years.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

We ate at his original restaurant in Padstow 3 years ago. Utterly underwhelmed. Cramped, poor service, over-priced, average food. Also ate at Foxtrot Oscar (potato-face’s place) around the same time. Equally shit.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Best fish and chips Anstruther fish bar

saleem
    Free Member

Don’t know about gravy but I burped chip fat all the way back along the camel trail.

TooTall
    Free Member

I was seriously underwhelmed by Stein’s chippy. Very little taste and the fish was not as good as I expected. I had better in most chippys on the North East and in Scotland.

Fearnley-Wittingchap’s place was excellent on the other hand.

Bregante

Best I’ve had. Squires in Braunton, Devon (near Croyde)

http://www.squiresfishrestaurant.co.uk/

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Orkney has some great fish and chips. Three stand out. The one in the main street in Stromness. A roving chip van that was a converted ambulance, and the pub in Pierowall on Westray. The fish in each case comes straight from the pier daily.

Yes it’s a bit of a hike from Cornwall, but if you are up there give them a try.

saleem
    Free Member

If it’s the best we’re talking I’d have to say Mcdonoughs in Gallway.

spacemonkey

Nah, McDermotts just southeast of Croydon is where it’s at. Bang tidy.

chewkw
    Free Member

The chips got to be good otherwise they are just average even if the restaurant has 100 Michelin stars …

spacemonkey

Ggggrhhhrhrhrh. Now I want to go there for lunch tomorrow – even though it’s a 25 mile round trip. Ggrhrhrhrhrh.

StuMcGroo
    Free Member

Like Bregante said… Squires, Braunton or the Frying Scotsman at Paighton. Tried Rick Steins chippy in Padstow, mediocre at best, Mrs McGroo said shite! Also tried a pub he’s got between Padstow and St.Merryn, didn’t know it was his but thought it must be good judging by how full the car park was… again disappointingly mediocre!

geologist
    Free Member

been to anstruthers TJ a few times, very nice indeed 🙂

MrGreedy

TandemJeremy – Member

Best fish and chips Anstruther fish bar

+1

Well worth the round trip from St Andrews in my student days. Good coffee shop along the harbour for daytime visits, views over the Forth, Isle of May and Bass Rock too – what’s not like?

timber

Harbour Lights gets my vote too as the better chippy in Falmouth.

scuttler

Tower Fish Bar in Penicuik for post Tweed Valley nom (assuming you’re going North).

To the aussie correspondent I thought that the chippies in Oz were on average far better than your average british one, weather and glass of wine from the bottle shop not withstanding. The ones in NZ even better…

I quite enjoyed Steins in Falmouth. Borlox to the queues in Padstow though.

bravohotel9er
    Free Member

Any Bournemouth/Poole types been to Chez Fred in Westbourne?

Brilliant place…or should that be plaice? Thanks, I’m here all week, try the fish (oh you already have!) etc etc

zokes
    Free Member

We go to Sedburgh every year for a week housesitting for friends, we were told about it changing hands and were worried that it would be crap! but it was still lovely I’m happy to report

This is good to hear – we’re next back in the UK in June – I’ll visit then 🙂

Pigface
    Free Member

Amazed Herr zokes cant get decent fish and chips in Adelaide, we had a chippy in Perth WA that was sublime, the fish was fantastic, dew fish being my favourite.

spacemonkey

Just remembered the one we frequented up in Parkgate (nr Birkenhead) last year. F&*(ing excellent. The most unassuming frontage and a middle-aged Chinese lady behind the counter. A real gem.

wrecker
    Free Member

+1 on Squires in Braunton, used to go there a while back when I lived in Chivenor then for a pint in the George. Normally free as I was “close” to the barmaid!
    Happy days.

flippinheckler
    Free Member

If any of you are ever in North Wales then Enochs has the best fish & chips & run by a mtb’er.

IHN

Best chippy I’ve been to is the Alba D’Oro in Edinburgh.

Saying that, the one in Hucclecote in Gloucester, believe it or not, comes a very close second.

Drac

Harbour Chip Shop Amble.

None of your fancy fish and chips from celeb chefs just good old fashioned fish and chips.

wallace1492
    Free Member

Applecross Inn does superb fish and chips. And with the awesome views over to Skye, there is no downside….

thesurfbus
    Free Member

Can also recommend The Tower in Penicuik, wasn’t that impressed with the Anstruther chippy though.

portlyone

Atlantic Fish Bar in Chorlton serve battered whale. They swear it’s haddock but it’s huge!

Chips are pretty good too.

ransos
    Free Member

We ate at his original restaurant in Padstow 3 years ago. Utterly underwhelmed. Cramped, poor service, over-priced, average food.

Interesting. I went there about 2 years ago, and we had loads of space, excellent service and excellent food. Sure, it was expensive, but worth it for a special occssion.

The only downside was the hoards of braying Sloane types who seemed to be more interested in being seen than eating good grub.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)

The topic ‘Rick Steins Chippy’ is closed to new replies.