Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Revelations or Pikes?
  • brakes
    Free Member

now Revelations come in Maxle and 150mm flavour, I'm struggling to see why I would want Pikes.
    All I can think is that the extra weight (nearly a pound!) is just going to add stiffness and strength, question is do I need it?

bike is used for everything from cross country pootling to mid-size jumping and drops

coolhandluke
    Free Member

I liked my Revs (130mm ones from a few years back) more than my Pikes.

They were lighter and performed just fine really, I didn't notice additional stiffness of the Pikes but I noticed the additional weight. I got sucked up in the hype of Pikes being the dogs gonads.

Wish I'd kept the Revs to be honest and would have saved a shed load of cash and bother with a new wheel (for the 20mm maxel) needed on the Pikes and so on. A £400 mistake.

slowrider
    Free Member

ive got a set of pikes and have just bought a set of the 150 revelations. not fitted yet so cant answer the question sorry! my guess would be that pikes havent changed really since they first came out in terms of their build at least, so 4 or so years on they have perhaps refined and revised the design to save weight without sacrificing strength? i hope so anyway! i guess a lump of the weight is in having a hollow crown on the revelations, something plenty of stiff forks do already.

Vortexracing

If i had the choice it would be revs all the way.

i'm sure the new ones with the maxle are as stiff as the Pikes and like you say over 1 pound lighter

slowrider
    Free Member

i DEFINITELY notice the stiffness of the 20mm maxle over qr, its even noticeable from a qr15 fork when you start whacking them about. like i said though, this is on a pair of pikes which have an extra pound of heft over the equivalemt qr15 fork so may be more than just the axle. they are definitely stiffer though.

alpin
    Free Member

aren't the new revs essentially pikes but with air innards? that'd mean they have the same stiffness. pikes are now coil and revs air.

slowrider
    Free Member

nope, still different lowers. no 'power bulge', is brake mount etc.

DT78
    Free Member

I've been having the same debate, as they are roughly the same price with the discounts at the moment. In the end I went for pike 454, mainly as the bike they are going on is my skillup/play bike, and despite being heavier than revs they will still save me a pound over the dj3's on it at the moment. I also tend to be a bit heavy on kit and break lighter stuff.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

pikes are now coil and revs air

Exactly. Except for OEM supply Pikes are now only coil and Revs are only air

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

And coil Pikes are a wonderful fork…. 🙂

tf
    Free Member

I guess, depends on what you want it for; for XC, I would go for air, if you trend toward the gravity side of riding, I would go for coil. I have dual-air revs on my hardtail and Pikes on my FS, like them both, but on balance I prefer the U-turn Pikes. (Weight is so overrated … there are better ways of loosing a pound, like eating less, riding more 😀 )

brakes
    Free Member

I would prefer air to match the rear which I guess means Revs.
    I'm not a weight weenie by any stretch but a pound is a lot of weight.
    I have a gravity sled for bigger stuff, but don't want to do the odd double and worry about snapping the steerer.

si-wilson
    Free Member

I have a few sets of OE FLoat 150 32's in QR15 flavour at good prices 🙂

scruzer
    Free Member

Dual Air Maxle Revs! (349£ from Rutlandcycling)

brakes
    Free Member

si, need QR20 and not Fox!

thanks scruzer, I'll check them out

hora
    Free Member

Dual Air Maxle Revs! (230£ from hora)

Indeed 8)

slowrider
    Free Member

Dual Air Maxle Revs! (349£ from Rutlandcycling)

plus 10% off if you pester them on facebook makes it £315. not bad for a £550 fork!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Revelations or Pikes?’ is closed to new replies.