• This topic has 123 replies, 46 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 124 total)
  • Retro recommendations (music)
  • bsims
    Free Member

Had some music playing on youtube earlier and few old favourites played. So I thought, if you had any old songs/ albums you would recommend, or songs you haven’t heard in a while played on the radio etc… post them here. Anything you want, what you think others would like or just because you think a song is great.

I will start with.

La femme d’argent by Air, In fact the whole album Moon Safari.

Blue Lines by Massive Attack.

New Born by Muse.

dmck16
    Free Member

LA LA LEEE LA LA LAAAAH!! 👌🏼

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Floodland – Sisters of Mercy. All of it.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Cardiacs – ‘R.E.S.”

hols2
    Free Member

Can’t understand why these guys aren’t on the radio more.

[video ]https://www.youtube.com/embed/bfu_gfPBPWc&#8221[/video ]

[video ]https://www.youtube.com/embed/Jp6j5HJ-Cok&#8221[/video ]

[video ]https://www.youtube.com/embed/Fw7SBF-35Es&#8221[/video ]

MrWoppit
    Free Member

hols2…

Just copy the .url and paste it into the box,  then submit.  The forum software will do the rest.

Klunk
    Free Member

LOL at flashy in his black trench coat

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Sorry…

‘Click on the arrow symbol in the video and copy to clip board’, I should have said.  ☺

bikebouy
    Free Member

funkmasterp

bsims
    Free Member

Excellent choice, I haven’t listened to Creedence in a while, CD going in the car for the commute tomorrow.

DezB
    Free Member

So any music, as long as it’s not new? Just put any local radio station on. Or one of those Absolute Radio stations.

bsims
    Free Member

Could be last year. A retro radio station won’t give recommendations, but may give you ideas for this thread.

RaveyDavey
    Free Member
    DezB
    Free Member

I recommend… the stuff I posted here!

frankconway

Dr Feelgood – original line-up only; Stupidity (live).

Blondie Parallel Lines.

Iggy Pop Lust for Life.

Little Feat.

nobbysideways
    Free Member

I know its not quite what you were asking, but I recently found a band called Gunship. It’s like finding an 80s Synth album you didn’t know about, but its relatively recent…

bsims
    Free Member

I suppose as long as the artist has been around for a while. So we don’t clash with the other thread, must be a few years old (ignore my above post) and is something that you would like others to check out, because for you it has stood the test of time.

Retro probably has carrying meanings for different age groups anyway – 5 years is retro for a 20 year old but more like 45 for a 60 year old!

chestrockwell

Probably not cool enough these days for the music experts that seem to frequent STW but I’ve listened to The IT Girl by Sleeper quite a bit recently. Great memories. Oh, and Going for Gold by Shed Seven.

bsims
    Free Member

I remember those! Nice!

Malver Rider, I like that track too.

fasthaggis

Until last week,two that I had not heard in ages ,now added to my play list.

The Elgin’s backing singers are rockin my dance moves and The Small Faces remind me of my Dad trying to sing 😉

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Fleetwood Mac’s Rumours, almost as old as me, but full of classics that still sound great today.

bsims
    Free Member

A live version of The Chain came up on that playlist. Timeless.

slowoldman

30 years old this year:

CountZero

Probably not cool enough these days for the music experts that seem to frequent STW but I’ve listened to The IT Girl by Sleeper quite a bit recently.

Sleeper are doing a few gigs sometime fairly soon. Good band, saw them a few times, I’ve still got my ‘Sleeper bloke’ tee shirt somewhere.

CountZero

XTC Apple Venus Vol.1

CountZero

Genesis

Denis99
    Free Member

A Love Supreme – John Coltrane

CountZero

Tangerine Dream – Ricochet

https://img.discogs.com/Z8JHSTHECkr815e17taBomFG7W8=/fit-in/600×600/filters:strip_icc():format(jpeg):mode_rgb():quality(90)/discogs-images/R-3139730-1421543378-2432.jpeg.jpg

bsims
    Free Member

I like land of confusion and the cover by disturbed.

CountZero

Hmmm, not sure what happened to that last post not showing the picture, it won’t allow me to edit, says nothing can be found.

Let’s try it again:

CountZero

I’ve got the advertising poster for Ricochet hanging on the wall on my landing upstairs, obtained from Virgin Records in Bristol.

CountZero

One of the great British prog/folk albums:

bsims
    Free Member

Some limited edition promo material is always a good talking point.

angeldust by faith no more is epic!

CountZero

Not so well known today, but I love this band, and I hear their influences all over the place, typical early British prog, with significant jazz influences going on, Gentle Giant formed from Simon Dupree and The Big Sound, which had the three Shulman brothers in it. They came from Glasgow, so I guess Gentle Giant could legitimately be called a Scottish prog band.

Denis99
    Free Member

I saw Gentle Giant back in the day, Barry Memorial Hall.

Good band, still remember the gig to this day.

bsims
    Free Member

I’ve got ricochet on at the moment, although been interrupted by mini telling me to turn it down as he can’t sleep. Likeing it a lot.

i’ll give giant octopus a go tomorrow.

CountZero

I find it hard to believe this song is around 32 years old! Sadly never got to see them, never get tired of listening to them, and I really hope they’ll reform one day and start recording again.

Talk Talk

bsims
    Free Member

I went to a wedding reception in Barry memorial hall. True story. The band was excellent, but I can’t remember their name.

CountZero

Bit of a change, Kenickie on Later… Featuring the lovely Miss Laverne

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 124 total)

The topic ‘Retro recommendations (music)’ is closed to new replies.