• This topic has 123 replies, 46 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 124 total)
  • Retro recommendations (music)
  • Jakester
    Free Member

This is a cornucopia of retro delights:

DezB
    Free Member

Whaaaat?! Soundcloud ebedding! New forum is awesome 😆

eddiebaby
    Free Member

bsims
    Free Member

Not sure if its old enough to be classed as retro, but I am loving listening to these lot again.

@trailwagger- my definition of retro when starting this thread was anything you hadn’t heard in a while, so Shed Seven is fine, besides some of us haven’t been around long enough for retro to be older than the late 90s!

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Detroit Cobras have been sorting my afternoon.

CountZero

My mate’s daughter made a decent covers album (in my view anyway):

You know Thea?! I’ve met her a bunch of times at various gigs, such a great singer and songwriter, and a really lovely person with it. Nigel’s a smashing bloke too. You obviously know about Thea’s album ‘Don’t Stop Singing’, her interpretations of songs the sadly missed Sandy Denny wrote over thirty years ago but never finished. I can’t think of anyone who could have brought those songs to life like Thea, she’s completely captured what Sandy was about.

MarkBrewer
    Free Member

northernsoul

Best played loud:

jamj1974

I never imagined Talk Talk would look like that.  I imagined them as a minimalist electro-pop band.  Instead they look like like a cross between the Dexys Midnight Runners and Level 42.

jamj1974

jamj1974

jamj1974

jamj1974

jamj1974

jamj1974

jamj1974

jamj1974

jamj1974

northernsoul

Touring soon:

jamj1974

jamj1974

jamj1974

vazaha
    vazaha

vazaha

vazaha
    vazaha

eddiebaby
    Free Member

You know Thea?!

Since before she was born. I worked with her parents at Pergamon Press and stayed in touch with her dad ever since, been each other’s best man and that kind of stuff. I saw her first ever gig when she played in a N Oxfordshire pub whilst still at school. I think she still has my Yamaha WX-7 Wind Controller…

Anyway back on track, this thread has given me some great ideas as I’m busy filling up my 64GB ipod after deciding to get rid of the usual suspects on there. Thanks to all.

DezB
    Free Member

Another reissue, for some reason. Sounds ok though. Mick Karn died didn’t he? Used to love his bass playing

DezB
    Free Member

And another

senorj

niksnr
    Free Member

Still as relevant to politics now as it was in the 80’s! Also a great listen!!

onewheelgood

bsims
    Free Member

Sometimes the the simple stuff is the best!

choppersquad
    Free Member

Loving that Bob Mould and Dave Grohl track.

Dave looks like Animal playing the drums.

My retro tune – The Senseless Things ‘Easy To Smile’

Nobby

An occasional guilty pleasure

bsims
    Free Member

Listened to REM Out of Time, last night. I had forgotten how much I liked early REM stuff. Here’s the opening track.

CountZero

I never imagined Talk Talk would look like that. I imagined them as a minimalist electro-pop band.

They were, as their albums progressed. What they’re wearing doesn’t look too different to what a lot of bands wear now, jeans, ordinary shirts, Hawaiian shirt, bare-chested drummer…
    Very sad, since I posted that video, Mark Hollis has passed away; much has been written about him, and whether the band would reform, which was a wish of mine, but the reality is Mark had probably achieved everything he set out to musically, and had no further interest in the band.
    He left a great legacy, though.

bsims
    Free Member

Been listening to these guys again recently. If they ride bikes I think it will be single speed cruisers, on or off road, old school like.

concrete24
    Free Member

Been listening to these guys again recently. If they ride bikes I think it will be single speed cruisers, on or off road, old school like.

Rivers Cuomo is still writing stuff – latterly with AJR

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 124 total)

The topic ‘Retro recommendations (music)’ is closed to new replies.