Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Replacement windows – ballpark cost
  • Legoman
    Free Member

Anyone replaced std UPVC double glazing recently?
    I need to replace 9 windows of various sizes, just wondered what kind of figure I’m looking at.

I reckoned about £1k per window average? Am I miles out, or does that sound reasonable?

Cheers.

weeksy

Less, go for £500 per window. Even our patio doors were only £1100

stumpy01

We have just had (this week) new double glazing installed.

6 ‘standard’ windows (2 panes, one opening),
    A letter box shaped toilet window that opens,
    2 ‘wide’ windows, a standard width opening at each end and a double width pane in the middle,
    French doors in the lounge,
    Complete new front door (upvc)
    And a new skin in the back door frame so we can put a cat flap in it.

We reckoned on about £7k, but we had quotes a lot lower. The final quote we settled on was ~£4.5k, with chrome letterbox and handles. White ones would have been cheaper.
    That was a particularly good price, because the bloke wanted to get his order book filled for Jan.

Make sure when comparing quotes that you check the windows, locks, glass are all of a similar quality.

gears_suck
    Free Member

Whatever your first quote is. Halve it and then take a grand off. You’ll be closer to the cost you’ll be able to achieve.
    Stick with established companies. Many of the smaller firms come and go very often and your guarantee will be worthless. It’ll be likely you will need them back to tweak a few things so you need to know they’ll still be around.
    I know the Safestyle adds are bloody annoying but they will keep dropping the price if you hold out and the product is good. Also they respond well if you have issues.
    Alternatively, you could just pay out the nose and get Everest.

teethgrinder

**** Safestyle.

The wife saw that next door were getting new windows, and asked the chap for a quote. Because he was a fitter, not sales he couldn’y. Nothing wrong with that.

Then, sales guy came round. All I wanted was for him to measure up, show some examples in a catalogue and quote. In that order.

The wife was going out to meet a friend. This did not sit well with sales chappy. Seems both of us needed to be there, and he was going to try to show the styles off znd quote before even measuring up.

Told him to clear off. Didn’t have time to be pissing about to
    like that.

gears_suck
    Free Member

**** Safestyle.

The wife saw that next door were getting new windows, and asked the chap for a quote. Because he was a fitter, not sales he couldn’y. Nothing wrong with that.

Then, sales guy came round. All I wanted was for him to measure up, show some examples in a catalogue and quote. In that order.

The wife was going out to meet a friend. This did not sit well with sales chappy. Seems both of us needed to be there, and he was going to try to show the styles off znd quote before even measuring up.

Told him to clear off. Didn’t have time to be pissing about to
    like that.

Perhaps you should have made the appointment when you had a little more time available . You asked for a quote and therefore it’s only reasonable that the sales person expects to be able to complete his spiel.
    It’s how he makes his living after all.
    Having said that. If someone asked me to come a quote for a bathroom refit and told me I had 5 minutes to do it, I would leave.

LadyGresley
    Free Member

We had Safestyle come and quote last week. We do have a lot of windows, including front bays that need 5 separate panels both upstairs and down, so the first price was £20,000. Then ‘cos of this month’s offer, that came down to £15k. Then the salesman said he had a special extra discount so could do it at £12k. Then he offered to ring his boss, who gave as a price of £9k, for that day only of course. We didn’t buy.
    Why can’t they cut the bullsh1t and give us the £9k price straight away? Do they really think we’re that stupid?

gogg
    Free Member

Safestyle also tend to try the sit it out approach. At 10:45pm, I suggested that it really was time he left and as I’d said earlier we would consider his quote.

djflexure

Local fitter just supplied/ installed a roughly 2m x 1.5m unit for 350 and its very nice.

hammyuk
    Free Member

Safestyle supplied and fitted 3 x 1600 x 1200 with RH openers for £990.
    That was less than I could get them trade from the supplier I use!
    Add in the guarantee and it was a no-brainer

vanatee
    Free Member

I’ve just renovated a house and got my windows (and doors from a local supplier) and had them fitted by a builder – I had a hernia op half way through the renovation which curtailed me for 8 weeks.

For 9 windows (5 of which were big) plus 1 half glazed back door, 5ft french windows & 8ft french windows I paid ….wait for it… £2480!

Then I just had to pay the builder for his time to fit them, the only other cost was you need approval from your local building control which varies depending on how many windows are being fitted – I paid about £200.

In the past I have used different window replacement companies for my own house – a local one who had replaced sofits for me in the past recently quoted on a new back door – Super special discount as an existing customer Should be £1200 but I could have it for £900! I took great delight in telling him I bought an identical one for the renovation property for £155 plus fitting.

The mark up from replacement firms is huge – you can save a fortune and organising it yourself and blow the rest of the cash on a new bike!

I’m in the Chester/Wrexham area if anyone wants the details of the supplier.

simmy
    Free Member

I need 7 new windows and front and rear door, had 3 quotes from trade suppliers of around £2500 that’s with the doors being full composite.

My mates fitting them so I will probably be charged a fortune……. 😉 😀

wrightyson
    Free Member

I’m involved with whole upvc market via the extrusion factories and the mark up the big window fabs get would frighten you.
    As above, shows you a true costing. Find a good local fabricator using quality profile and furniture. Where you based?
    Bro in law deals with fabricators nationwide and I can probably find one in your area.

konagirl
    Free Member

As above, your estimate is on the high side.

In Liverpool we had a new door (just uPVC) and three large (bay) windows done for about £1,800 fitted (A rated). In Cambridgeshire we had 4 large and 4 small windows fitted for £3,000 (AAA rated). Both were local firms who had a good history in the area and were found from the Rehau website.

Also fitters will be cheaper / less busy now than during spring/summer (people don’t like the idea of being cold while the fitting gets done!).

jeff

Stick with established companies. Many of the smaller firms come and go very often and your guarantee will be worthless. It’ll be likely you will need them back to tweak a few things so you need to know they’ll still be around

+1 got a useless warranty here.

And make sure you send off the FENSA registration card as it tells you in the small print – if you don’t, then your insurance cover for when your supplier goes bust is not valid… (I’m not bitter)

falkirk-mark

First guy wanted 5,500 just for windows then play the cut the price game (can’t be arsed with that give me a decent price to start with ).Then told the second salesman we were replacing with view to selling house so didn’t want to pay a fortune the end result was 7 brown upvc windows and front door 4,600 fitted which I was happy with, though it seems some companies try to play the game of see how much you are willing to pay then work it down.Tell them to leave his best price and you will let him know when you have had a few other quotes (and don’t let anyone know how much previous quotes are).HTH

gears_suck
    Free Member

Lady Gresley – Member
    We had Safestyle come and quote last week. We do have a lot of windows, including front bays that need 5 separate panels both upstairs and down, so the first price was £20,000. Then ‘cos of this month’s offer, that came down to £15k. Then the salesman said he had a special extra discount so could do it at £12k. Then he offered to ring his boss, who gave as a price of £9k, for that day only of course. We didn’t buy.
    Why can’t they cut the bullsh1t and give us the £9k price straight away? Do they really think we’re that stupid?

I’d say you you wasted the guys time. You got what seems me to be a fair price eventually. Who cares if you have to sit through the show.
    Did you have anyone do the windows, or are you just one of those customers who thinks everyone except yourself should work for a zero profit margin.

stumpy01

Oh, just realised I forgot in my original post, we also had the bow window at the front of the house; 2 fixed windows and two openers.

Jeff, what is this about FENSA registration card? The people who did ours are FENSA registered and we got a guarantee certificate, but nothing about registering them…

gears_suck
    Free Member

The certificate is all you need. It means the windows are FENSA approved. If you sell the house most solicitors will want that certificate in the documents you provide.

Legoman
    Free Member

Thanks for all the comments, glad my estimate was on the high side.

Wrightyson – I’m in Hertfordshire (St Albans) if you know anyone local.

chakaping
    Free Member

Legoman – My parents used Blenheim Windows in Cheshunt to supply and fit, and were happy with the price and quality.

When I lived down your way I got my windows made up by Dunster House and we fitted the flat ones ourselves, just getting a local fitter to do the bays.

Just looking at getting our new place done up north and we’ve decided to go with an established local firm who manufacture and fit, to get a more comprehensive guarantee.

Had a few quotes, four-bed detached house with french doors and two composite doors – quotes from £7.2k to £8.6k and none of them sent a sales person. Much happier giving my business to one of these firms than the pushy, pretend discount merchants.

Now just gotta decide which one and negotiate a realistic discount.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Just spoke to bro in law. He’s gonna sort me a few for you when back at work tomorrow. Ill post up some time tomorrow afternoon.

bearnecessities

Wrightyson, this is totally shameless, but I’m in the same situation – need all new windows, and sharpish. I’m in Leeds area; if your BIL would be able to advise on similar contacts here, I’d be very grateful.

Legoman
    Free Member

Thanks chapaking, will check out Blenheim

Nice one wrightyson, I’ll check back tomorrow

apj
    Free Member

Safe style sound like Everest in terms of salesmen. The Everest woman even got out some daily mail articles about burglary as some kind of scare tactic. Was in the house for well over an hour to quote for two doors! Local firm we went with was in and out within 10 mins to measure and let us choose style of door etc, then sent us a quote in the post like we asked.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Leeds is now on the list.

ptrockymountain
    Free Member

Depends on how good a job you want, most window companys will take out the old ones out without damaging the plaster to your window reveals but to do that they will make the window slightly smaller than the plastered finish in your reveals. Then to cover up the gap they will stick a plastic trim around the window, which looks rubbish. Best way to do it is knock of the plaster in the reveals let the window company fit the windows properly on cleats. Then set a plasterer on to replaster the reveals, they will be finished off properly.

bearnecessities

Thanks WS,much appreciated.

therag
    Free Member

£150-£300 per window
    £400-£700 per door
    £500-£1200 French/patio doors
    Supplied & Fitted with min 10 year warranty.
    Brown Aprox 20% more than white.
    9 windows should be done in one day, may take a couple of hours following day to finish making good.

therag
    Free Member

Oh, and stay away from national companies. Average quality but 400% price increase, they will do bogof offer tho luv um.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Just had this info.
    His advice not mine 😉
    Weatherbreak windows, Luton 01582 585500 and
    PTF Glass, Leeds 01134 270283.
    Both good companies!

Legoman
    Free Member

Thanks wrightyson – you’re a gent.

bearnecessities

Excellent, I shall blindly shove wadges of cash at them! Thanks very much.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Replacement windows – ballpark cost’ is closed to new replies.