Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Repairing tyres with superglue
  • billytinkle
    Free Member

I’ve been getting a few small punctures on my commuter recently on the rear tyre. On inspection there are a few small cuts in the tyre, none more than a few mm long.

My plan is to repair these using superglue, but it’s not something I’ve done before. My thoughts are to pump the tyre up to a reasonable pressure so they are nice and visible, drop some superglue in the cuts and deflate so the cuts seal up.

Anything wrong with my plan?

aP
    Free Member

I do this every few months. I deflate the tire and go round slowly squeezing the tire to open up the cuts and making sure that there aren’t any shards of glass or anything else inside. Once I’ve been round once I go round again and drop a blob of super glue into each cut. Then I leave the tire for a couple of hours before reinflating and using as normal.

mrblobby
    Free Member

There was a thread on this a while back. Think superglue wasn’t the way to go because it’s not flexible enough. Something else was recommended. Sorry not very helpful but worth googling.

aP
    Free Member

I’ve repaired tires with superglue for nearly 20 years. It’s never not worked. It’ll be fine.

mr_average
    Free Member

My experience is the glue is so hard that it eventually works its way through and punctures the tube, rather defeating the object. This can be overcome by also patching the tyre on the inside, but I’m off to find that other thread for a better alternative.

rickt
    Free Member

Just buy better or new tyres..

Why would you want to mess around with the only thing which keeps you upright ??

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

rickt – Member

What a daft thing to say.

Of course new tyres stay new 🙄 And better ones are immune to anything they contact on the road and will never cut or puncture 🙄

avdave2

It’s worked for me in the past. I thought of it as a temporary measure but it lasted until the tyres were worn out.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Why would you want to mess around with the only thing which keeps you upright ??

All road tyres get cut up, even the very best. And if you replaced tyres every time they had a couple of cuts in them it would become a very expensive hobby.

I’m sure the op is talking about small cuts rather than rips in the tyre.

Anyway superglue works for me.

chiefgrooveguru

You can get rubberised cyanoacrylate which is like superglue but flexible. Don’t get it on your fingers, it stays until the skin wears off and it’s black.

billytinkle
    Free Member

rubberised cyanoacrylate

I could buy a new tyre for the price of a 50g bottle 😯

I’ll give superglue a go, but after a search ‘Shoegoo’ was also mentioned as an alternative.

jameso

Think superglue wasn’t the way to go because it’s not flexible enough. Something else was recommended.

Superglue Powerflex. Fixes nicks in tyres really well, I’ve fixed cut USTs using this and a patch of inner tube on the inside and they’ve held for the life of the tyre.

chiefgrooveguru

This is what we use at work (for reconing very high power pro-audio speakers): http://www.powerbond.co.uk/categories/powerbond_rt_black_rubber_toughened_cyanoacrylate.php

matthewlhome
    Free Member

the gel superglue works well as it is flexible. I used to do this on my fancy Vittoria race tyres.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Repairing tyres with superglue’ is closed to new replies.