Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Renewable Heat Incentive: proposals for a domestic scheme
  • geoffj

I know a there are a few on here interested in this. I’ve only scanned it, but it looks as though wood gasification boilers aren’t going to be included – there’s going to be a lot of firewood merchants up in arms.

http://www.decc.gov.uk/en/content/cms/consultations/rhi_domestic/rhi_domestic.aspx

Stoner
    Free Member

Id pretty much resigned myself to missing out because my pellet boiler has a gasfication burn wood furnace on the side of it. (it’s sister boiler, the Pellemaster is RHI approved)

It would have been nice, and probably worth quite a few hundred pounds a year, but I made the commitment to my boiler logn before RHI was even implemented for pellet boilers and justified it to myself as a bit of a toy rather than a wholly economic decision.

As it happens Ive moved over almost entirely to log burning for this coming season meaning my fuel costs will be around £500-800 for the entire year for a house size that normally might take £2000+ of oil to heat (the non-renewable alternative for my build)

That kind of saving goes well on the way to cover the difference in the c.£10k (boiler) + £2k (solar) investment Ive made (compared to say, £2.5k for a new oil installation) without the need for gov subs to help.

wonnyj
    Free Member

I haven’t done the sums get to see if 17/kWh gives a decent return on SWH. Will be interesting to see….

Bear
    Free Member

Are you sure log gasification is out? Had a quick scan and biomass only boilers are included, stoves are not. Boilers and stoves are different creatures.

Stoner – 45kw nearly installed commissioning next Friday, love my new Mapress press fittings….

br
    Free Member

Yet another scheme to take money from poor people and put it into the pockets of the rich?

geoffj

The biomass section doesn’t mention wood gasification only fuel in pellet form.

Bear
    Free Member

point 85, page 32?

“biomass only boilers and biomass only pellet stoves”

Biomass boilers would include log gasification and other biomass fuels.

Stoves, the cast iron lumps that sit in a fireplace, with a back boiler only qualify if they burn pellets.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Well done b r – a grat contribution. I’m sure it was relevant in some way, I missed it though 😐

geoffj

Bear – you may be right, but the extract from point 86 below suggests that they are talking about pellet based fuels. It’s a but unclear though.

The source of
    the fuel in pellets used in the biomass boilers funded
    by the RHI can be derived directly from forestry, or as
    a forestry by-product such as sawdust.

Bear
    Free Member

you missed an e yourself!

it didn’t warrant a reply, but he is partly correct. There should not be money to be made out of such schemes such as PV installations. however there should be encouragement to use a greener alternative where possible.

I think because they got PV wrong this is being looked at much more closely, although they have got some things wrong in my opinion. Although only had a quick scan of the whole document.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Fair enough. Chaps over on arbtalk are not too happy but a good point has been made that the quality of log supplies cannot be guaranteed and this quality affects boiler emissions. Pellets are more closely controlled.

Stoner
    Free Member

is that your steel pipe fittings stuff bear?
    Nice.

Something I missed out of my earlier post, regardless of whether wood gasification boilers get the nod, my manufacturer wont put my boiler forward for certification testing until it’s clear what the requirements are as it’s something like £50-60k for them to get it done.

Bear
    Free Member

Stoner – should have had a fully MCS approved Win…………

Yes crimp jointing system for steel / copper pipework, seems to be quite quick and fingers crossed for leak free!

Not looking forward to filling up the system, ’tis rather big.

Stoner
    Free Member

how much x100 was it?

(oh, and if you find that pump, Ive definitely got a plan for it…)

Bear
    Free Member

Lots! Will put it to one side…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Renewable Heat Incentive: proposals for a domestic scheme’ is closed to new replies.