Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Removing and replacing a pressfit bb
  • jordie
    Free Member

I am going to be doing this job soon as my creaking bb is driving me nuts. Any tips on removing and replacing.
    Tks
    J.

johnnystorm

What sort?

My Lurcher Shimano bb goes in with hand pressure and easily pushes out with a drift by hand.

The PF30 in my spearfish I just knocked the old bearings out with a screwdriver and pressed in the new ones with a headset press.

I tend to cover everything in copperslip or grease as appropriate to keep the creaks at bay.

Garry_Lager

Do you know which one you have?
    The pressfit 92 ones I’ve had are a plastic bb shell which the bearings sit in. Easiest to replace the whole lot (bearings and cups) by just knocking each cup out and pressing the new one in with a cheap headset press. You could just replace the bearings by knocking them out of the shell, but not sure if this would be worth it. If so, prob best to use the right tool as the plastic shell is easily damaged.

The bb30 standard (cannondale) is simpler and just has the bearings direct in the frame with some circlips. That’s it. So here it’s only the bearings to concern yourself with.

Do you know that the bearings are finished? Might just be the crank spindle needing cleaned and re-greased. Plenty of threads on here about it.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘Removing and replacing a pressfit bb’ is closed to new replies.