Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • removal of specialized stout bearings?
  • robhughes
    Free Member

hi all.anyone know how to get these little swines out as i need to replace mine.iv,e got the bearings but now i am stuck.trawled the net and nothing.

AndyPaice
    Free Member

what are they in? That may help us somewhat in trying to help you 😉

robhughes
    Free Member

they are the front hub bearings in stout hub on an 06 fsrxc pro

stratobiker
    Free Member

I’ve done Stout front wheel bearings a few times. I usually just remove the skewer and the conical covers then knock them out by hitting the axle with a soft mallet.

Putting the new ones in – I drive them home using an old socket.

HTH
    SB

neilb67
    Free Member

Done mine a few times, first time they were stuck fast. Just dont be afraid to give the axle a good whack…

robhughes
    Free Member

thats great.do the rubber over seals lift out or pop out when you drive the bearing out from the oposite side?

hughjengin
    Free Member

Sorry to join the bandwagon. But I was going to ask a similar question.
    You mention the conical covers, how do they come out, are they threaded or just press fit.
    Also if you develop play in the stout hub bearings, is there anyway to take up the play, like in a cup and cone system, or are they on a fixed setting ?

robhughes
    Free Member

they are sealed bearings.the covers screw off and need replacing when worn…

stratobiker
    Free Member

The conical covers, not to be confused with the rubber bearing covers (which stay on the bearing)…..

On earlier wheels they push fitted onto the axle.
    On later models they screwed on.

There’s no way to take up play.

SB

robhughes
    Free Member

got ya .they come out as one(rubber cover+bearing)

stratobiker
    Free Member

Right, just took some sh1te pictures uploadin em now.

robhughes
    Free Member

nice one SB.

stratobiker
    Free Member

Pictures not great, but should be good enough for purposes….

This is a 2004 wheel……

Skewer removed. Next I removed the aluminium conical spacer. I could do it with just my fingers, as it’s just push fitted on. Though you may need to help it if it hasn’t been off for a long time.

Underneath that you’ll find a plastic dust/grease guard. That will lever/pop out easily. I used a car key.

There’s the bearing….

Once you’ve stripped both sides, just whack the end of the axle with a soft mallet to drive them out.

I use an old socket to fit the new ones, almost as big as the bearing itself.

I hope these pictures help. If you get stuck give me a shout and I’ll get Mrs help me take some better pictures while I strip some out to show you.

SB

robhughes
    Free Member

SB. what a guy.they don,t come much better than you do they..cheers..rob..

robhughes
    Free Member

i take it that the 06 set up is the same but with screw in cones/

stratobiker
    Free Member

Rob,
    I sure that on my 07 Epic the alu’ spacers screwed off.
    Can’t hurt to try that.
    Haven’t got that bike now so can’t check.

I used some mole grips to move them, but put some rag on the teeth to stop marking them.

Good luck.
    Let us know how you get on.

I’m off out with the roadies now. 🙂
    It’s really hot here in France.
    SB

robhughes
    Free Member

all done SB, piece of cake .all came out and in realy easy.jobs a goodun.i knew they screwed out as one was loose.thanks alot bud.have a nice weekend..rob..

stratobiker
    Free Member

Rob,
    Glad I could help.

SB 🙂

hughjengin
    Free Member

Blimey, I was hoping for some basic help advice, got to say thanks for a Haynes manual type walk through. Gotta love Mountain bikers for advice. I ride road and come from a roadie background, if i asked such a question on a roadie forum I guess I would have got “Dont you know how to remove the bearings, snigger”

Not sure about the green crocs though 😉

ClaudioNogueira
    Free Member

Heelo:

After reading all this posts I still have one doubt. I undestant I must remove the side covers to access the bearings and to tap the shaft to one side. My question is How?! There is to way I can pull these aluminium covers out 🙁
    Unfortunately the above pictures are no longer available. Probably I would found the expalnation on them 🙁

Please advice.

Cláudio Nogueira

GrahamA
    Free Member

Claudio Nogueira

Depending on age either screw off the side covers or remove them by sliding a knife blade between the code and the axle body.

I have a 2006 hub and the covers are press fit, new version may be a screw fit

ClaudioNogueira
    Free Member

Mine is a 2009 model. It came on my Epic. It´s a version with a DT oversized 9mm quick release mechanism.
    Accrding to what I can feel, they are pressed in and are retained by an o-ring between them and the shaft. I can rotate them but not pulling them out.
    In my hub ther's no room enough to insert a knike blade to take them out. Grab them is impossible they slip 🙁

CN

ClaudioNogueira
    Free Member

Does anyone have the power to turn this images available again? 😉
    It´s not easy to find this explanation in the internet… that I can turn in to practice. 🙁

CN

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘removal of specialized stout bearings?’ is closed to new replies.