Viewing 37 posts - 41 through 77 (of 77 total)
  • Red Bull Hardline this weekend… Who else is going?
  • PrinceJohn

So why no Brendan fairclough here? Would’ve thought this would’ve been his event, given the discussion on the world cup thread recently

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

Having been there today, found it all a bit underwhelming to be honest. Lots of waiting around, for a few seconds of watching a rider wizz past. Sure the jumps were pretty epic, but actually dare-i-say-it actually looked a bit smaller in real life!

I’m just gutted I completely missed out on watching anyone go over the road gap – as I expect that would’ve been genuinely pretty spectacular. I got bored waiting there with all the thronging sweating masses, and so I headed further up the hill. Unfortunately, having then watched all of quali’s at the top of the hill – it was then a choice between staying for the finals to actually see the road gap in action, or heading off to ride Coed y Brenin before the light failed.

I chose CyB, which was probably much more exciting.

In the end, I think the crowds got to me. I’m not sure I can actually stand 90% of people… 😆

Then, the Hardline crowds were clearly not STW types of people – hence probably the somewhat muted response to this event on here. Not an Audi, nor a log burner, nor an Orange 5 was seen all day… 😆

The most exciting bit for me was probably getting to meet Rachel Atherton.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

jmatlock – Member
    This really is what WC racing should be. The course is amazing. Compare it to somewhere like pietermaritzburg and this is another level.

Really? Would certainly cut the field down and get rid of the womens event. Seeing Gee’s helmet cam and the continual muttering all the way he was happy to get down. Doesn’t make for great racing if everyone is just trying not to crash and go do or die for the jumps. Watch the Val Di Sole replay again to see how bit a step up that was for 50-60% of the field who would be competitive in most National DH races.

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

Always arguing and failing to proof read, Mike. Cheer up, it’s just a bit of fun this cycling malarkey, init. 🙂

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Very true, it does seem like lots of people who probably couldn’t make it down a normal WC track suddenly decide they are all too easy!!
    I’ll be getting the hardline replay at some point today when I get the chance, 4am was a bit early to be getting up to watch it!

torsoinalake
    Free Member

I hope the trend of Ed Leigh popping up on RedBull TV for DH coverage doesn’t continue. First World Champs, now Hardline.

TheOtherJamie
    Free Member

So why no Brendan fairclough here? Would’ve thought this would’ve been his event, given the discussion on the world cup thread recently

Wrong fizzy drink sponser

mikewsmith
    Free Member

that or he is getting sorted for rampage

spawnofyorkshire

I hope the trend of Ed Leigh popping up on RedBull TV for DH coverage doesn’t continue. First World Champs, now Hardline.

I thought he was a good addition. Would happily have him presenting each round of the WC

nickjb
    Free Member

I thought he was a good addition. Would happily have him presenting each round of the WC

+1. Thought he was pretty good on this. Brilliant on Ski Sunday so hopefully he will get better too as he gets a bit more familiar with it.

spawnofyorkshire

that or he is getting sorted for rampage

Following him on instagram. He’s been filming a new sick edit in the Surrey hills with his mates.
    Think the fizzy drink clash is the reason he isn’t there

Stevet1
    Free Member

So, is the course available to ride after the event?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

All welcome bring your own paramedics, just ask Dan first like…

olly2097
    Free Member

Well. We had fun. Couldnt find a beer though. Next year will be taking a picnic and some tins.

legend
    Free Member

They’re doing guided tours down it like they did at the Olympic track

mark88

I enjoyed it, but having travelled 5 hours each way I can’t help but feel a little frustrated at spectators being such an afterthought. The course and riding have the potential for it to be an incredible event but I guess Red Bull’s priority is the online viewers, not those on the hillside.

Dark-Side

This

olly2097 – Member
    Well. We had fun. Couldnt find a beer though. Next year will be taking a picnic and some tins.

And this

mark88 – Member
    I enjoyed it, but having travelled 5 hours each way I can’t help but feel a little frustrated at spectators being such an afterthought. The course and riding have the potential for it to be an incredible event but I guess Red Bull’s priority is the online viewers, not those on the hillside.

Absolutely nothing to criticise about the organisation from a racing spectacle and the marshals were great, I’ve currently got my leg in a cast and they offered me a lift up in one of their buggies.

From a amenity point of view, it was a little lacking, two food stalls to service that many people meant we queued for 90 minutes for food, and it would have been nice to have a bar too. I also thought they missed a trick not selling merchandise, I think they could have probably sold a good few tshirts and posters.

honourablegeorge

spawnofyorkshire – Member

Think the fizzy drink clash is the reason he isn’t there

Never a problem for Rampage

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Never a problem for Rampage

Rampage is part of the FMB Diamond series (or was) so it’s more of a thing that red bull do rather than a RB invite event

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Glad I didn’t go by the sounds of it.

1. Its a long long way from Bradford
    2. The ticket price was pretty steep.
    3. One finds it difficult to get ‘stoked’ about these things.

Would it have been possible to sneak in ?

Dark-Side

2. The ticket price was pretty steep.

£8 if you had a carful, most cars had four people in so a tenner each. You really think thats excessive to see some of the worlds best racers?

3. One finds it difficult to get ‘stoked’ about these things.

Then why would you want to know if you could sneak in? Either pay or watch it at home on Redbull TV for free.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

yep sounds like if 3 is true 1 and 2 are not really the point. On access it doesn’t look like the sort of terrain that would make that easy, probably why spectating was limited and mostly there for the atmosphere. I was trying to get up and down a few other tracks a while back and none of them are that easy.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I misunderstood the ticket price, I thought it was per person.

chrismac

Enjoyed watching it. Glad Gee didnt win, he has had way more practice than anyone else on the course. It would have been nice if Dan had raced it (unless I missed that bit)

It did however come across as a redbull promo event rather than a race

Dark-Side

Dan did ride, I’ve not seen the TV coverage so don’t know if his run was broadcast

orangespyderman

It would have been nice if Dan had raced it (unless I missed that bit)

You missed that bit.

flange
    Free Member

Would it have been possible to sneak in ?

Were you not the one calling addicts scum the other day for stealing? Is sneaking into something like this essentially stealing from the organisers?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

All runs are up on the replay
    http://www.redbull.tv/live/AP-1P2FMGUM11W11/red-bull-hardline
    Dan threw some style out there!!

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I don’t know, is it on private land?

flange
    Free Member

Does it matter? Its a private event charging people to enter. You’re asking if its possible to sneak in.

Stevet1
    Free Member

Dan threw some style out there!!

Was it him who did the one footed flattie over the hip? Nice.
    Just got to add that hip jumps are awesome.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Yep, and it was him that said if anyone was throwing style off them he was going to make them bigger

MarkBrewer
    Free Member

I reckon Brendan must have been reading all the comments from the armchair experts on here about his riding and decided to give the event a miss as he’s not actually a very good rider 😉

Thanks for talking about results before it’s finished. FFS!

People are so inconsiderate these days, how dare they talk about an event before you’ve finished watching it 😆

Surely it’s common sense that looking at a topic about an event after it’s finished might have some results mentioned 😉

deviant
    Free Member

People are so inconsiderate these days, how dare they talk about an event before you’ve finished watching it
    Surely it’s common sense that looking at a topic about an event after it’s finished might have some results mentioned

This.

If it’s a WC weekend and I don’t want to know the results….guess what?!…i’ll avoid said thread until after I’ve caught up with the action.
    It’s not rocket science.

Now, spoilers in titles I can get annoyed about with the best of them….but that’s not the issue here.

nickjb
    Free Member

The ‘live’ show started at 7 on red bull tv. Was there any other way to watch it without being there?

Dark-Side

nickjb – Member
    The ‘live’ show started at 7 on red bull tv. Was there any other way to watch it without being there?

Thats an unfortunate by-product of Redbull broadcasting 3 hours after it has finished I think. You wouldn’t expect people who had attended a premier league football match to avoid discussing the result until after Match of the Day had broadcast.

One way to definitely avoid finding out the result is to stay off a mountain bike forum for a few hours, and definitely don’t venture into the thread about the race you are trying to avoid the result of until you’ve watched it.

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

Here’s a short vid I put together spectating the Hardline…

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Zhle0QRWaY[/video]

And and an edit of the whole weekend’s riding and viewing..

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WU9CRTeAsmQ&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Viewing 37 posts - 41 through 77 (of 77 total)

The topic ‘Red Bull Hardline this weekend… Who else is going?’ is closed to new replies.