Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Recommend me a trail running light
  • ThePinkster

With the nights slowly closing in and the mornings starting later I’m going to need some sort of trail light for running with the dogs off road.

I’m after something that isn’t too big or too heavy, fits comfortably, has a decent amount of light  so I can see what/who I’m treading on and isn’t overly expensive.

I’d be really happy to keep the cost below £25 but at a push may be able to go up to 50.

Burn time on full power isn’t hugely important as I’ll normally be out for less than an hour each run.

I was thinking perhaps of one of Alpkit’s head torches – https://www.alpkit.com/featured/head-torches

Anyone had any experience of them?

Alternatively, what else would you recommend?

perchypanther
    Free Member

That one out of Decathlon that makes you look like Iron Man.

I don’t know if it’s any good but looking like Iron Man is cool.

jonnym92

I use the Viper, not much of a serious runner, usually under an hour on decent tracks on the moor, suits me fine, goes through batteries though. The Viper has a second button which boosts the lumens up which can be handy when needed, though would be good to be able to toggle this on and off.

Petzl seem to be the default answer here, so worth looking at those too.

houndlegs
    Free Member
    bikebouy
    Free Member

Can’t help you because your budget is too low.

verses

If you already have a Joystick-type helmet torch you could use it with one of these;

https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Exposure-Headband-for-Axis-Joystick-Sirius-and-Spark_69707.htm

brassneck

Alpkit ones are good, I basically collect them now 🙂

My fave though is my Petzl Tikka with the optional rechargeable pack, a very welcome birthday present, ample light, light weight, rugged – I ahve had a couple of battery pack issues with the Alpkit ones but usually well after I’ve had my moneys worth from them.

dovebiker

No need for mega-lumens as you don’t need as much throw because you’re not moving that fast – we have a pair of Petzl Reactiks – small, compact, rechargeable and lasts a week between recharges. Had a couple of the USE Versos before that – they were unreliable and despite going back to USE a couple of times, they are now lying unused as a sudden blackout in the middle of nowhere is no fun.

footflaps

Alpkit ones are good, I basically collect them now

Yep, I have loads and they’re great.

JollyGreenGiant
    Free Member

I have the Decathlon “iron man” one. Use it 3 times a week and it went all through last winter in the worst conditions .

With a tiltable head unit it can give a nice pool of light in front of you on the trail.

In a group run I tend to just use the first setting. Second setting if I am running alone .

Battery life is good , it’s well made and nice and compact.

Very happy with mine.

bigsurfer
    Free Member

We have the same decathlon one as houndlegs its very very good for £35 much better than the Alpkit ones we had previously that kept failing after about 18 months.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/onnight-710-trail-head-torch

eastcoastmike
    Free Member

I once thought my alpkit was good, then I tried a few other decent head torches and realised alpkit are pretty pants really. Crap beam optics, and poor construction quality, not very good features/brightness etc

ThePinkster

Cheers for the recommendations & comments. The Iron Man one looks interesting, not seen anything like that before.

Having checked out the video on the Decathlon site I think it’ll do just what i’m looking for.

Thanks folks.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Those Decathlon chest things are ok if you do steady trail running but they are not great if you do steep up and down.

Over the years I have tried various price points, I ended up buying a Petzl Nao and have been using it for some time.  Yes it was more expensive, but it makes a massive difference.

The dual beam means you can look in to the distance for route finding and the wide beam works for detail.  I have lent it out to a few people and they have bought, rather than buying cheaper.

Works brilliantly as a helmet light on the bike too.

fadda

My other half likes a chest mount (fnerrrr) but I can’t get on with not being able to point it where you’re looking.

I have a new(ish) alpkit gamma and I’d have another. For the purpose, I don’t really need any “features” beyond actually lighting the path in front of me and the rear red led light is a handy bonus…

MSP

I have a petzl reaktic and actik core, the actik I wear around my waste if I am going out on a more technical run. I find the 2 sources of light really help with depth perception for trail features. My preference would now always be to purchase (or own) 2 lights rather than one more featured light (if restricted by budget).

ThePinkster

Like the sound of the Petzl Nao but just couldn’t justify the expense for what i’d be using it for.

Ewan
    Free Member

My missus runs a bizillon miles a week and loves the decathlon iron man one. Most of her running club use them. Apparently they prefer them to head torches as you get better shadows (as it’s not directly in your line of sight) so you don’t break your ankle as easily off road.

BadlyWiredDog

The Nao is good, but expensive. I like the Silva Trail Runner runner models which have a two-LED set-up, one with a flood and one spot. I find anything which has just a spot quite disconcerting, kind of messes with your balance because you have no wider perspective. You can get them for around 50 quid and, for off-road running, I’d say they’re significantly better than a standard torch.

You can also, if you have something like an Exposure Joystick, use it handheld in conjunction with a headtorch for better ground perspective. You can also get a headband to use a Joystick as a headtorch if you have one already and want to give that a go.

MrPottatoHead

Like the look of the Ironman one.  My biggest problem with a head torch is running in the cold and breathing hard – ends up being like driving through fog, can’t see a thing.  Even worse with my Tikka if I leave the reactive light setting on, as it keeps dimming on me when I breath.

Although the speed is slower I still prefer big lumens if I’m trail running at night, especially through woods so I get a big enough light spread to see obstacles.

perchypanther
    Free Member

I’d be tempted to buy two and  have one each side, like the worlds brightest bra.

Conspiracy theorists would whisper in hushed tones of …. The Illuminatitti

fadda

You’re gonna need to stop winning every thread on here, Perchy!

Flaperon

Not seen the Iron Man lights, might give one a go.  Cost me a bit but I quite like my Black Diamond Sprinter due to the rechargeable battery and flashing rear light.  The extra head strap helps with stability but adds a whole new level of helmet hair when you finish a run.

I also suffer the “blinded by my own breath” problem when running so a chest mounted light might be the way forward.

Edit: just watched the video on Decathlon’s website.  Doesn’t the beam swinging around on the chest-lamp get annoying?

ThePinkster

Genuine LOLs at Perchy

JollyGreenGiant
    Free Member

The strap keep the Decathlon one firm so it doesn’t move about.

The light itself is tiltable within its housing so you can set it up to throw the light just where you need it.

CountZero

Conspiracy theorists would whisper in hushed tones of …. The Illuminatitti

“And tonight’s winner of the Internet is…” 🤣

marcus
    Free Member

I used £15 Alpkit viper for most of spine last year after my more ‘premium’ head torch failed. Given how well it performed I really can’t recommend anything else.

footflaps

I used £15 Alpkit viper for most of spine last year after my more ‘premium’ head torch failed. Given how well it performed I really can’t recommend anything else.

My go to Headtorch now. I’m sure there are better ones out there, but for the money it’s very good.

peekay

I use an Exposure Joystick with one of the headband things. It seems to work well for me.

I like that it is slightly offset from the eyes as it seems to give a little more depth perception than a centrally mounted head torch,  and also avoids the fogging issue. It has outlasted other head torches whilst also being used for night riding, commuting and general torch duties .

I can imagine the benefits of having a chest mounted one,  especially if paired with a head mounted torch,  but have not tried one.  If I find myself doing lots of night time cross country running again this winter then I’ll try and get hold of one.

footflaps

Exposure have their own range of head torches for running, although I think this is a sailor using it….

Spin
    Free Member

I’ve used Alpkit Vipers for about the last 6 years and they’re absolutely fine. Cheap, light, pretty reliable and certainly bright enough.

I’ve done everything from club interval sessions to night legs of Ramsay’s Round and Bob Graham with them.

Some might prefer more expensive models but it’s not a necessity to spend more.

turboferret

I have an Exposure Versa which I really like.  It gets used for a couple of hours a day to and from work during the winter several times a week with no complaints.  I have actually sewn the mount onto the front of a cap as I don’t like headbands and this spreads the load more evenly across the skull.  Can also use an additional cell to increase runtime.

Cheers, Rich

dovebiker

As I said earlier, I have 2 Exposure Versas Mk1s and despite being back to USE twice they are not reliable IME so I wouldn’t recommend them.

I also have a Silva Trail Runner – a bit plasticy and the cable failed on me – OK if I was out for a short run, but at -27C on a 5-day unsupported event in the arctic, it was a bit of a bummer. I had a spare headlamp unit, but it was the battery pack connection that failed. Luckily it was the last night, but I had to go to bed without my tea…

marcus
    Free Member

Dovebiker – Exactly what happened to my Trail Runner.

CraigW
    Free Member

Better with a battery pack at the back, it doesn’t bounce around as much.

I quite like my Petzl Myo, though its not cheap.

I’d look at the Fenix headtorches. They have some brighter options, some with rechargeable battery packs.

footflaps

I also have a Silva Trail Runner – a bit plasticy and the cable failed on me – OK if I was out for a short run, but at -27C on a 5-day unsupported event in the arctic, it was a bit of a bummer. I had a spare headlamp unit, but it was the battery pack connection that failed. Luckily it was the last night, but I had to go to bed without my tea…

This is why I always carry two Alpkit Vipers in my backpack…

footflaps

Well I’ve just added to my Alpkit head torch collection with two Quarks from their current spacemaker sale….

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a trail running light’ is closed to new replies.