Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Recommend me a rear LED light
  • the_lecht_rocks

please ?

commuting use.

linkies too 😀

breatheeasy
    Free Member

I like the Smart 1/2 watt superflash ones. The clip is tight enough to clip onto a saddle bag (unlike Cateye). The random strobing seems to give good "noticabilty" to me. Just don't look directly into the big light, it hurts!

MrSalmon
    Free Member

Cateye 'hand grenade' job- don't know the model number but you know the ones!

breatheeasy
    Free Member

I wasn't impressed with that hand grenade one. I thought the previous "night rider/cylons from Battlestar Galactica" style on was better. Though the hand grenade did use AA batteries if I remember which was more useful.

D0NK

Never had a commuting light I was 100% happy with, every set I've ever had goes flaky – they will occasionally switch off for no reason, very bad on a rear light.
    My latest set Cateye ld500 seem better than most tho.

These flare sticks look pretty interesting too

clubber
    Free Member

See this thread. My response was:

I've found the most reliable lights to be backupz. I've got two (the 6 led model) which have been through winter training, mtbing and cxing right through the year in all sorts of foul, muddy weather. If you're worried that they're a bit small, for the same price as most other lights, just get two though I've found a single one to be plenty bright enough. They're easy to fit (no mountings to fit to the bike) and they never come loose.

Perfect IMO

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=8749

hazeii
    Free Member

Cateye AU100; it has a proper reflector built into it and is BS-approved. It's not the brightest, but having an approved light gives the lawyers one less shot at reducing damages should the worst happen.

foxyrider
    Free Member

Knog Skink 4 LED version – no mount needed!

about £15

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

I have a hand grenade and a Blackburn Mars 3. The Mars 3 is a neat little unit, very reliable and quite bright, complete PITA to get the AAA's out, but runs for a good long while. Integrated clip is terrific.

The handgrenade isn't so good, even the lastest iteration with superbright LEDs isn't that bright, its so heavy that it breaks its own clamps and the two rows of LEDs are not syncronised, so as it goes in and out of phase it doesn't appear to flash at all from 50 yards or further back.

I need to get round to getting a superflash, they look good.

jejamescycles.co.uk
    Free Member

These are a steel for the money, cracking light too, being seen is just as important as being able to see and this does the job with 220 degree visibility.

http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/smart-7-led-3-function-rear-light-inc-batt-id31658.html

Del

i have the smart and the hand grenade. both good in their own ways, but if i had to buy more then it would be the smart by a country mile. proper fookin' bright.
    hand grenade probably better for all round vis.
    i never liked the look of the knogs as they have no real lensing and seem to be old style led lights in posh frocks.
    just my 2p.

foxyrider
    Free Member

old style led lights

Apartently they are now superbright LED's!

zangolin
    Free Member

+1 for the Smart 1/2 watt superflash – nothing brighter for the money.

get two and you will be sorted.

Gary_M
    Free Member

I've been using 2 cateye TL LD1100 for the last 2 winters and not had any issues with either of them. Mind you I use a full rear guard so they don't get that much water thrown at them.

Gonna get 2 of those fibre flares for the coming winter to place on the seatstays.

I would never ride with only one rear light.

mrchrispy

smart 1/2 watts are seriously good for the money, have a couple.

my dinotte 140 rear is the daddy though!
    so bright cars tend not to get to close even stopped at the lights…i love the thing.

E_G

+1 for Cateye TL LD1100.

have also been using one for 2 years and only problem was with the waterproof seal when I hadn't closed it properly.

It has 2 rows, which can be set independently, and like Gary_M I would also suggest riding with more than 1 rear light.

Gingerbloke
    Free Member

I use 3 of these, I think I picked them up for a fiver each, if one runs out still got 2 flashing. Last about 160 hours in flash mode.

neilnevill
    Free Member

another vote for smart 1/2 watt. It is retina burningly bright

mushrooms
    Free Member

smart

Smart, no contest. I had a Knogg recently until a car driver stopped to tell me it wasn't working (which it was) and then it literally fell apart after a few winter rides. Now that Smart, that's proper bright that is; I had to tell my mate to turn it off at night on trails as his was blinding me.

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

Second the Cateye LD-500. Indestructible!!! and other usefulness like they can be screwed on to a reflector mount and your LBS will always have a spare mount floating around…

the_lecht_rocks

smart bought for a tenner – cheers folks 😀

Haze

Exposure Flare

qwerty
    Free Member

Haze has it. Thread closed.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a rear LED light’ is closed to new replies.