• This topic has 42 replies, 23 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by Drac.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • Recommend me a new computer game
  • molgrips
    Free Member

I want something for lonely evenings in the hotel room to play on the laptop. It's a pretty decent spec although not a pure gaming machine, but there's no mouse so FPS are probably out.

Something absorbing, a bit of strategy maybe but not epic war campaigns. I really loved Sim City 4 with rush hour last time I bought a game like this, but I'm just too good at that now.

Xylene
    Free Member

buy a bluetooth travel mouse with built in dongle.

problem solved.

There was a pretty good pirate adventure game on steam for about a tenner a few weeks back, fairly funny.

As are sam and max hit series

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I really think you should get this.

JulianA
    Free Member

I really enjoyed Safecracker…

Xylene
    Free Member

Def-Con was good as well.

molgrips
    Free Member

I'm browsing steam atm.

tiger_roach
    Free Member
    tron
    Free Member

The pirate game must be Monkey Island?

Civ is worse than smack, crack and fags all rolled into one. Avoid.

mrsgrips
    Free Member

CIV 5?!? Heaven help us all…do not bring it home or you know what will happen…

Creg

Get a cheap USB or bluetooth mouse and then download a copy of Portal from Steam.

Most of the Half Life series (inc portal) dont need an immense spec in order to run

Olly
    Free Member

Deus Ex!!! old amezzin FPS RPG from the 90s

MrGreedy

If you haven't already tried World of Goo, I highly recommend it – very innovative puzzle/strategy game from a couple of years ago. Available on Steam fairly cheaply I think.

cranberry
    Free Member

Another vote for Monkey Island and Sam & Max – funny, weird, and sometimes maddeningly frustrating.

molgrips
    Free Member

Lol!

Personally I don't care much for Civ, but I know someone who does 🙂

I still haven't finished Half Life 2 🙁

cranberry
    Free Member

Deus Ex was a game and a half – massively long and very absorbing – it would keep you going many a night if it'll run on your laptop.

mrsgrips
    Free Member

As a recovering addict I beg of you please don't bring civ5 home if you ever want to see your daughter or have sex again!

molgrips
    Free Member

Lol 🙂

On the week I have off from work, I'll bring it home and you can play it all the time, I'll take care of Jnr Grips 🙂

tron
    Free Member

My brain can't quite absorb the idea of a grown woman playing computer games.

mrsgrips
    Free Member

a grown woman

Are you calling me fat?!

😉

Does that help re-sort things out for you? 🙂 😉

mrsgrips
    Free Member

And don't even wave the Oblivion disk in my face or I may just riot…

molgrips
    Free Member

Whyever not?

tiger_roach
    Free Member

It's because you are sexist, they like this sort of thing:

mrsgrips
    Free Member

Do you cut the ponies up with swords?

Or maybe you 'upgrade' them into unicorns and then winged horses or double fish tailed horses and slay gods or something? —I like the sound of this! Ok Boys go to it make me a game!

MrsToast
    Free Member

This may be relevant to your interests.

And apparently 40% of gamers are women. So pfffft!

Xylene
    Free Member

As a recovering addict I beg of you please don't bring civ5 home if you ever want to see your daughter or have sex again!

My first reading of that I didn't see the 'or' and thought WHAT???? on rereading I realised my mistake.

molgrips
    Free Member

MrsToast – seriously LOL at that game. A world of WIN!

I will work on Mrs Grips' idea.

samuri
    Free Member

Try the command and conquer games, they're usually quite fune and the later ones have a fair bit of strategy in them.

Tenuous
    Free Member

Galactive Civilisations 2 could probably keep you going a while (http://www.galciv2.com/index.aspx). Space empire 4X stuff, reminded me a lot of Master of Orion / MOO2.

Steam is awesome ofc, and watch out for their sales, you can pick up some real bargains in those.

aracer
    Free Member
    tron
    Free Member

Whyever not?

I find it odd enough for men beyond their twenties to be playing computer games, but I can understand it as there's an element of childishness in most blokes. I thought women had more sense 😆

mrsgrips
    Free Member

Mrs Toast 🙂 Enjoyed that, as did Little Grips. She kept trying to touch the screen. Her next words may be 'robot unicorn' 😉 🙂

Drac

Worms reloaded. It's out today forgot to set the download away this am and can't be arsed to get back up.

rkk01
    Free Member

You want Das Boot in a tin…

I'm going to recomend an old game for a thinking man's mixture of strategy and action… lots of tension, good mix of simulation and gaming, good graphics (for it's era) and very satisfying.

Newer versions are also good (although SH5 still needs a good dose of patching and community mods) – but are less laptop friendly. SH3 with the GWX expansion is still the definative in many eyes and is very playable on a good laptop.

Silent Hunter 3 – should be able to pick it up for £3-4. linky

Needs to be patched 1.4 patch

And then – essential, needs the Grey Wolves expansion pack… GWX 3 Gold

improves (nearly) all the little things the devs didn't really do justice to.

GWX 3

samuri
    Free Member

http://www.oolite.org/ ?

Ooh, that looks interesting, elite was a great gamne, I'll give that a go.

CaptJon
    Free Member

New Halo game is out soon.

molgrips
    Free Member

Right then, next question – what mouse?

The laptop's got bluetooth, so a bluetooth mouse would be nice, but wireless mice seem to be out of favour for gamers. Bear in mind tho that I am not playing elite level CS online… any FPS I might play would be single player.

retro83
    Free Member

Right then, next question – what mouse?

The laptop's got bluetooth, so a bluetooth mouse would be nice, but wireless mice seem to be out of favour for gamers. Bear in mind tho that I am not playing elite level CS online… any FPS I might play would be single player.

It's just going to add a certain latency to any mouse movements you make. I can notice it even using Word or whatever with my Logitech bluetooth mouse, so I'd imagine it to be unpleasant for gaming with.

goon
    Free Member

Plums. There goes the weekend….

molgrips
    Free Member

I've got a fairly old bluetooth mouse for my desktop, it seems fine when you're using it, but if you stop for a minute, there's a distinct lag when it starts broadcasting again.

16stonepig
    Free Member
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a new computer game’ is closed to new replies.