Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 87 total)
  • Recommend me a good Single Malt Whiskey
  • Coyote
    Free Member

Jack Daniels. Not a malt but scrummy!!!

Cougar

See, if you're going to drink bourbon(*), you could drink a -good- bourbon instead of Jack Daniel's. I'd recommend Maker's Mark for starters.

(* – technically JD isn't a bourbon, it's a Tenessee Whiskey, but it's close)

mills
    Free Member

Recently got a Madeira cask sprinkbank for about £35, nice wee dram!

Daffy

I like Lagavulin DE, but this is a gift for somone else.

Cougar

Well, what do they like?! (-:

Cougar

Better yet, get 'em a bottle of Lagavulin, and if they go "urgh," you can ensure that it doesn't go to waste.

Brake-neck
    Free Member

Another vote for Dalwhinnie here, Aberlour also very nice and both speysides, if you want an Islay its gotta be bunahabhain.

Daffy

Me and the wife are at opposite ends of the spectrum, she's on the Jura 10.

It's for 2 of my 3 principle lecturers at uni, the 3rd is getting Vodka (well…he is Russian afterall) Possibly a Kaufman.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Highland Park, I visited the distillery last week, great whisky. Voted Spirit of the Year.

matthewjb
    Free Member

Another vote for Aberlour A'Bunadh.

Fantastically deep flavour. Some available here.

Coyote
    Free Member

I agree Cougar, but Maker's Mark is a little spendy for my shallow pockets.

marc
    Free Member

Is there a bad one?

I've yet to find one, and I have looked hard!

coffeeking
    Free Member

I was inspired…

teachers.

edhornby

check out royal mile whiskies . com for ideas

if in doubt…. Talisker 🙂

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

You can get some interesting non-distillery bottlings such as this Macallan from the Whisky Exchange who also do some quite good deals

fwb2006
    Free Member

I'm a fan of Scapa myself, smooth, floral well rounded and very easy to drink. I frequent a shop in Tomintoul called the whisky castle, take a look at this place online. Amazing range of whisky, last time I left there hammered.

hainman
    Free Member

a nice wee dram is longmorn.40quid but its 15yr old i think but nice and smooth.glenrothes is another

Ringo
    Free Member

Bruichladdich peat is nice went through a bottle recently lovely over ice

Tiger6791

my current line up

I like the Welsh one.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Instead of buying 2 bottles of 10/12yo, buy one bottle of 18/25 yo and savour it.

valleydaddy
    Free Member

got to love the Welsh

you rang my Lord 😉

Tiger6791

The Welsh stuff is just very nice, the English Whisky is crap though.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I have a couple of bottles of Provenance Distillery whisky – both very nice, limited edition smooth drinks. No idea on cost though as they were both presents.

Cougar

I like the Welsh one.

My considered opinion of Penderyn is it'll be alright once it's finished.

samuri
    Free Member

As far as I know, only scottish people can call their whisky 'whisky' rather than 'whiskey' or in fact anything else they choose to use.

Scotland should sue Wales for that one.

downshep

My English sister in law bought me a bottle of English Whisky to wind me up. To be fair, it's actually quite drinkable, pleasant, smooth etc. Alas, I'm wedded to Talisker.

Onywho, purchasing malts for them wot doesn't normally partake. Light and smooth is best. Try a Dalwhinnie, Aberlour, Glenlivet, or Oban.

Island malts can be an acquired taste. If smoky, peaty goodness tempts you, work the optic before shelling out. Jura, & Ben More for starters before trying Islay & Skye. 'Tis a short life, live it. Time for one more toot before bed.

night night.

Xylene
    Free Member

Oban

Not the one from the distillery at the base of the Ben. That can be used for stripping paint

downshep

Quirrel

Do you mean Nevis? Great for stripping satinwood from a bannister.

I've always found Oban to be quite inoffensive, hence the suggestion.

I'm off to bed now.

cheers

Xylene
    Free Member

Aye,

The Nevis.

Meths, pee and some soil in a bottle

BenjiM

Isle of Jura

fwb2006
    Free Member

Scapa 16 year is currently my favourite, not too heavy, floral, lightly spiced but all good whisky should be drunk as intended, straight.

jp-t853

I had a bottle of Ardbeg 17 about 10 years ago (before it changed hands)and that was great, I was going to recommend it and see that it now sell for £200. I think I paid about £40 it lasted a few years anyway.

Glen Ord 12 year old is a good one.

AdamML
    Free Member

+1 on the Oban for something nice and drinkable in the middle ground

james-o
    Free Member

Penderyn – agreed, not a great attempt. my most recent tasting sesh in wales said that the welsh ones weren't too good, but Jura and Dalwinnie were enjoyable and i still like Talisker above most others. Can't remember the names of the others we tried now, just the ones i liked. after a dozen different tasters, it's hard to be a good judge, but easy to be a good drunk )

organic355
    Free Member

I just got a bottle of Cragganmore 1993 Distillers edition, not tried it yet, but thge 12 year old is delicious and really smooth, this has got to be better:

richmtb

I always found Oban to be a little bland, for a nice inoffensive speyside go for Balvennie Double Wood

ace_sparky
    Free Member

Got back a few days ago from a family holiday up to Skye and the Highlands, stopped off at this place on the way up…

Whisky Heaven

woffle
    Free Member

go for a decent rye – I picked up a bottle of Rittenhouse 100% proof bottled in bond for £22 a week ago. Fantastic stuff.

These people are fantastic. They do tasters too

bi6al
    Free Member

glenrothes malt if you can get it , about 28 a bottle very smooth.
    or the macallan . my preferences but each to their own as i prefer a smoother malt

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 87 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a good Single Malt Whiskey’ is closed to new replies.