Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Recommend me a dry chain lube…..
  • bristolbiker
    Free Member

Can of worms I’m sure, but I need some more dry chain lube for my road bikes. Been using FinishLine Pro Road Ceramic, which has been fine, but variety is the spice of life an’ all!

Ta in advance

FuzzyWuzzy

white lightening clean ride is what I always go back to for the road bike, must have tried about 20 different others. Just started using the muc-off c3 ceramic and it seems good to (I found the Finishline ceramic one you’re using resulted in a really dirty drive train after a couple of rides but the C3 stuff stays pretty clean, not as clean as the white lightening stuff but it copes a bit better with the odd wet ride).

johnners
    Free Member

dantsw13

For the odd occasion it’s dry enough :-)) I use the mucoff aerosol dry lube. It kind of cleans off the chain as you apply it too.

jwmlee
    Free Member

Squirt is good. Discussion here.

bristolbiker
    Free Member

I found the Finishline ceramic one you’re using resulted in a really dirty drive train after a couple of rides

This is true actually – another reason for a change…..

composite
    Free Member

Squirt.

bristolbiker
    Free Member

Two votes for Squirt, but hardly a conscenous! 😆

neninja
    Free Member

Prolink Progold for me. It keeps working well even in sloppy mud.

bristolbiker
    Free Member

It keeps working well even in sloppy mud.

Good to know, but this will only be for the bikes that go out in the sun – it’s fair to say the recent weather has given me ample testing time for a selection of wet lubes on the other bikes!

soma_rich
    Free Member

I like squirt but I found that it washed off really easily with even small puddles on the road.

JoeG
    Free Member

Squirt +1.

bristolbiker
    Free Member

Bottle of squirt and white lightning on the way – let battle commence!

jonathan
    Free Member

I used Squirt for most of last year and it is good, as long as you reapply quicky after wetness. But I don’t like the waxy residue it leaves behind, which can be a bugger to clean off.

Currently using Chain Juice Dry which I really like. I doesn’t hang about to well when it gets really wet, but it does stay very clean, so just a quick relube if it’s been washed out is all that’s needed.
    http://www.juicelubes.co.uk/chain-juice-dry/

Have also tried their Viking Lube, which is an interesting halfway house. It hangs around better in mucky conditions but does pick up more dirt. Personally I like either a dry dry lube or a wet wet lube, if you know what I mean.

iainc

been using Squirt for a few months but find it sticky as per soma rich. White Lightning less sticky and seems to last not bad. Just gone back to the old Finish Line Red though, as I think it runs smoother and quieter

muddyground
    Free Member

I like Squirt but it does tend to build up in the Pawls over time – I guess tiny droplets fall down through the cassette and work their way inwards where they collect. My Hope Pro II started to make some horrid sounds recently so I took it apart to find rusted springs and the waxy black gung that Squirt can leave behind. It was holding the springs closed, which isn’t too useful. Still like it, but it’s not maintenance free at all, and not the clean lube that many [me included until recently] claim it to be.

matthewlhome
    Free Member

i find squirt to be really good unless conditions are very wet, when it needs reapplying. problem is it needs to dry out before its any use!

Best way to use it is to degrease chain, then apply 2x.

I have never noticed the black gunk – it just sort of disappears after a while and needs reapplying.

i use it as i cannot stand the black caterpillar effect other lubes give, and am willing to reapply regularly.

Taff
    Free Member

white lightening clean ride

As FuzzyWuzzy

gsp1984
    Free Member

I’ve found nothing that lasts more than a 15mile dry ride before the chain starts sounding shocking… getting sick of having to take the lube out with me.

trailmoggy
    Free Member

I did’nt know anybody used dry lube on a mountain bike

nickswolves
    Free Member

Another vote for Squirt even after initial skepticism following first application. For dry conditions its spot on.

Candodavid
    Free Member

Been using pedros ice wax for years, would highly recommend it

granny_ring

pedros ice wax – is it best to apply it in advance ie the night before or doesn’t it matter?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Putoline chain wax is just great if you can be bothered with a bit of a faff £20 for a kilo of wax – not £5 for a wee can that is mainly solvent

gsp1984 – Member

I’ve found nothing that lasts more than a 15mile dry ride before the chain starts sounding shocking… getting sick of having to take the lube out with me.

It lasts hundreds of wet miles on a MTB, It lasts thousands on the road.

carlphillips
    Free Member

following on from the other dry lube thread, i bought some squirt, de greased thoroughly and applied 2x, the day after a slightly damp ride the chain was orangey with surface rust, this has been a continuing theme with it, I also get the black gunk which i find quite sticky too, surely this isn’t great for shifting!!
    my chain has never been so high maintenance!

think i may try the putoline thing.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Putoline is black gunk 🙂 but you can wipe it off the outside and it stays in the bushes.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Squirt or if you don’t mind a bit of faff, putolene. I cook mine in a chip pan now. I use a baby wipe to clean the excess from the outside of the chain and wipe the rings and cassette after the first ride. It then runs squeak and muck free for longer than anything else I’ve ever used. Really dirty chain gets rinsed under the tap and dried with a rag before resting on the radiator. Next morning, It’s like New.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Onzadog – is that with the putoline? Interested in others experiences I know some have been disappointed

Northwind

Squirt has been good for me most places but every so often it comes across some mud it just doesn’t like- and when that happens it goes from good, to disasterous ride-ending, chain-destroying failure, instantly. Which isn’t so good but I still rate it highly for summer use. Oh and it’s not rust-resistant enough for the commuter.

My review of putoline is still- I have a tin, it’s in the garage, I’ve never got round to using it because every time i need to lube a chain I just end up doing it quickly with standard lube. But soon the road bike will need lube and it’s getting putolined as a test.

White Lightning Epic Ride is still my go-to, works-for-everything lube. It’s not as dry as a dry lube nor as wet as a wet lube but unlike those two there’s never been a ride where it’s been useless. Good enough for me.

carlphillips
    Free Member

its certainly better value than squirt! the amount of times ie after every ride i have to apply it its not going to last long so putoline is looking good.

Onzadog
    Free Member

TJ, yes that’s with putolene. Liked it at first as it shifted quietly, ran smoothly and lasted well even in the wet. Then fell out with it because of the excuse wax on the cassette and rings. Then tried the baby wipe after the first ride thing and now I really rate it again.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Ta

I wipe the chain down before refitting it

iainc

following from my earlier post, and noting that OP is talking road bikes….I have relegated my Squirt to the MTB, as it gets rinsed right out from riding in mud more often and as such doesn’t build up as black sticky crap that jams stuff up.

Finish Line Dry, which is very similar to White Lightning Epic works best for me on road, where looking for compromise of clean, long lasting in dry, and no waxy sticky build up.

All just IMO of course 😆

chiefgrooveguru

I’ve used Squirt but had too many rust and chainsuck incidents. My regime for the last 9 months has been whichever very thick chain oil I have to hand, kitchen towel to remove the excess and clean the chain when it’s dirty, paraffin on it for a better clean and light degrease. Combined with a gold KMC chain (Ti Nitride magic) it’s working great on the MTB that commutes, trail rides and races depending on the time and day of the week.

Onzadog
    Free Member

TJ, I wipe the chains down as soon as they come out but that first ride always seems to purge the excess from the rollers.

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a dry chain lube…..’ is closed to new replies.