Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Squirt chain lube test
  • jwmlee
    Free Member

Been using Squirt all winter with pretty good results. Chain runs smoothly and cleaning involves simply running it under the hose, a dry rag and reapplication.

The first application is a little more fiddly but no more so than degreasing an oil-based lube.

A sceptical friend of mine suggested I degrease the Squirt lubed chain to see if it was truly self cleaning.

Last night I put the chain in a bath of citrus degreaser and was very surprised to see the degreaser stay almost clear. Amazing.

Only down side is you need pretty dry and warm conditions for the wax to set. In winter this has meant dragging my bike inside. Still much less faff than degreasing every few rides. Great product.

muddyground
    Free Member

It is a great lube. As you said though, it’s water based so de-greaser doesn’t dissolve it – hot water is best. I use Squirt all the time – you do find it tends to build up as a black wax on your cassette and rear rim. You’ll also see a build up between the sprockets on the front, which needs digging out.

jwmlee
    Free Member

Not sure about that.

The citrus degreaser certainly broke it down. The chain sparkled after cleaning it. Once dry it also seems to repel water.

We need a chemist!

Onzadog
    Free Member

I found it washed out a bit too easily on winter rides. At the moment, I’m thinking squirt for the summer and the solid putoline stuff for the winter. Just at that cross over point now though. Is it too early for summer lube?

neninja
    Free Member

I hated it and found it to be the worst lube I’ve used.

It washed off far too easily in wet weather and reapplying on a wet ride it wouldn’t have any drying time so would wash off again immediately.
    In the dry it would ball up and clog up on the front/rear rings and jockey wheels.

It was used on a new chain that had been totally degreased before applying the Squirt. The drive chain was also removed from the bike and cleaned with Jizer to degrease them.

Also, it was a pain that you had to apply it the day before a ride to work properly as otherwise it didn’t have long enough to dry.

muddyground
    Free Member

It must have been hot degreaser 😛

Agree on it being a bit of a pain, and needing forward planning, but if you apply it post ride it’s fine for the next outing.

Rio

I’ve used Squirt over 2 winters now and my drivetrain is certainly lasting longer than it did with any wet lubes I’ve tried, which tend to turn into grinding paste in the winter. I’ve now invested in one of the big bottles so I’m committed to it until that runs out! I always lube the chain after a ride ready for the next one unless the bike needs a real hosedown, in which case you obviously have to wait until everything is dry.

muddyground
    Free Member

Plus the importers have the best customer service ever. Agree that chains seem to last longer – 2 years is now my going rate since I switched.

neninja
    Free Member

It must have been hot degreaser

That was before I used the Squirt as they say if you don’t properly degrease the drive chain it doesn’t work properly. I followed their instructions to the letter and hated it.

On a long ride you could here the drive chain getting noisier after 10-15km.

Use Prolink Progold now and find it infinitely better.

DickBarton

Love the stuff. Wash bike and apply some, have a wash and dinner then soon cranks a few times. Just before bed apply another coat. I haven’t found it washing off and chain seems to need less maintenance as well. Does need applied night before a ride, or after a ride but I do that anyway. It is brilliant stuff.

Northwind

Paraffin takes it off so any other competent degreaser should too (I found this out after a couple of disasterous chainsucky winter rides with it- stripped it back off all my bikes and applied proper winter lube)

Brilliant in summer though, and does cope well with some sorts of mud, just fails abysmally with others.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Squirt chain lube test’ is closed to new replies.