Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • Recommend an alternative to Radio 6 Music
  • Leadfold

I’m struggling to like the new schedule now it includes Mary-Anne Hobbs and Shaun Keavany in my prime listening time. This has rather screwed up my enjoyment of Radio 6 Music. Can any recommend a station playing a similar mix of music?

IHN

Listen on catch-up to the shows that have now moved (like RadMac from the weekend and Lauren L from breakfast)?

DezB
    Free Member

Realised I can’t handle twatty DJs long ago, so just listen to my NAS or
    ipod

maccruiskeen

Listen on catch-up to the shows

This is what I’ve started doing on long drives. Don’t know if it would work for me when I’m in the workshop though as the radio is really on to pace out the day

petec
    Free Member

i just use spotify now, and explore the music there. Either the tailored Daily Mix lot, or some pre-configured ones.

Now on one called ‘Transistor – apparently ‘Great tunes old and new, for fans of real music’. Not dissimilar to the ethos behind 6music, but no annoying DJs.

verses

When 6music was threatened with closure a few years ago Seeks Music was set up as an independent station. It’s considerably more eclectic than 6music is, but might appeal to you.

http://seeksmusic.com/

MrsV has started listening to Absolute Radio and whatever XFM is called these days, but I can’t do with the ads

cheers_drive

I’ve also started listening to catch-up shows during the day, trouble is that there isn’t 7 days in the weekend for Rad Mac :0(

PrinceJohn

Don’t some of the DJs there also do Radio 2/4 shows?
    I accidentally listened to Radio 2 on Saturday night briefly & they played Smashing Pumpkins & Soundgarden. Not what I was expecting.

You might be able to pad out 5 days or work with those shows. Don’t forget Huey’s morning show or Craig Charles Funk n Soul…

BillOddie

I really really like apple “radio”.

simon_g

KCRW Eclectic24 for me. No DJs, just a massive rotating playlist of their DJs’ selections.

nicko74

Very timely post as I’ve been grappling with it myself. I’d previously listen to RadMac live then Keaveny on catch-up, but with the schedule changes it doesn’t work.

Thanks for the recommendations!
    And Saturday nights is pretty solid: Liza Tarbuck’s amusing and fairly eclectic on R2, Craig Charles has 2 shows on 6Music and R2, and there’s Trevor Nelson if you like that sort of thing. At the very least there’s a lot for listen again.

the-muffin-man

Another one who just can’t listen to it now.

I wonder how many listeners they have lost?

Pook

Probably about the same number as they’ve gained.

RadMac doesn’t work on Saturday though

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

Liza Tarbuck’s amusing and fairly eclectic

I’ll listen to most things on the radio, but I draw the line with her….

andylc
    Free Member

I don’t mind S Keaveney although Mark and Stuart are a difficult act to follow. I really cannot entirely work out why Mary-Anne Hobbs is so goddamn annoying.

Andy

Timely for me also as I usually last about 20 mins of Keaveney. I wish he would just….stop talking.. I do miss Radmac. Lauren Laverne is excellent though

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

Lauren Laverne is excellent though

Yep, agree, she’s great.

@andylc
    I can’t work it out either – the music is okay, but she just rattles on and on and on….and trying to “see” things in music that just aren’t there. Just listen and enjoy, job done!

Keaneney is bearable, just – not a patch on RadMac, though.

gavinpearce
    Free Member

Union JACK

petec
    Free Member

Union JACK

I’m guessing that’s a sister station to JackFM – which is actually quite good

sharkattack

I accidentally listened to Radio 2 on Saturday night briefly & they played Smashing Pumpkins & Soundgarden. Not what I was expecting

That stuff is nigh on 30 years old now. It’s just hit the threshold for unveiling to Radio 2 listeners.

scud
    Free Member

For me my listening is always a mixture of 6Music shows via the iplayerapp or “Sounds”, listen to the 6Music shows you do like when you want and a combination of podcasts, there are podcasts for every topic, comedy, music you could think of, so you should find some good stuff.

I simply can’t listen to Mary-Ann Hobbs and her “listening to an aural-landscape whilst drinking unicorn tears” drivel, i’m still sure her life is one long acid flashback..

unclespeedycase
    Free Member

If you want to listen to the music with none of the DJs try Britify

http://www.britify.com

It’s got most of the djs daily playlists linked to Spotify. Below is Shaun Keaveny show on 6 music from yesterday. All the music. none of the chat! It’s also great for skipping those overplayed A list songs

nuke

Fun as i dont mind Mary-Anne Hobbs but struggling with listening to Shaun Keaveny in the afternoons…its too much like a breakfast show (predictable really given his previous slot) for the afternoon slot. Lauren L. just find a bit ‘meh’…sort of faux eager/upbeat mood for everything

maccruiskeen

That stuff is nigh on 30 years old now. It’s you’ve just hit the threshold for unveilinglistening to Radio 2 listeners

maccruiskeen

Shaun Keaveny in the afternoons…its too much like a breakfast show

I think when you have the comparison to Radmac that its replacing the biggest contrast is it seems between them Radmac meet people, do things, write stuff, interview people, participate in things when they’re sitting behind a mic (and have done so for years) and that tends inform the conversion they have about the music they play and the guests they talk to. Keavney tells you a story of little consequence about his kettle.

stonemonkey
    Free Member

Fip radio. It’s french but good mix of music and you can practice your french

BigJohn

Craig Charles was talking about RadMac the other night “when are those guys going to be given a midweek slot”

Fantombiker

KEXP

owei
    Free Member

I can’t stand Keaveny, Radcliffe and Maconie or Craig Charles!
    Marc Riley and Gid Coe are bloody excellent, though.

cycl1ngjb
    Free Member

I seem to be one of the few who actually likes Keaveny and Mary-Anne Hobbs, neither of whom I get to listen to any more

I’ve started listening to Zoe Ball instead in the mornings

molgrips
    Free Member

I don’t mind DJs generally, I can ignore ads, and I am fairly immune to overplayed A list songs, but I really do not give a shit about how you came up with some obscure song or how you got your break or how your influences helped you through the difficult second album. **** off, play some **** music.

Merak

I just hope they remove that withering flippety jibbet MAH and replace her with Tom Ravenscroft.

nicko74

but I really do not give a shit about how you came up with some obscure song or how you got your break or how your influences helped you through the difficult second album. **** off, play some **** music.

So that’ll be a no for Lauren Laverne and MAH then??

Listening to MAH this morning I’m bemused by everyone *loving* Lauren Laverne but hating Mary-Ann Hobbs. They’re not so different, but MAH’s witterings are less annoying

sl2000

If you want to listen to the music with none of the DJs try Britify

Thanks @unclespeedycase. I cannot work while listening to Shaun Keaveny’s inane chatter with that dreadful background music being turned up and down while he’s talking. Like the tunes though. Quick Google and STW has the answer!

woomfy
    Free Member
    nicko74

I’m settling in to the schedule changes but dear god Lamacq is tedious. It’s amazing that he’s survived all the musical chairs and hasn’t been shunted to a late night slot.

oreetmon
    Free Member

Soon as SK comes on we ( work van) flick to LBC and listen to boring current affairs type stuff .

Listen to James O’Brien from 10am onwards , always sparks a debate.

athy62
    Free Member

Bring back Phil Jupitus and Andrew Collins

bigad40
    Free Member

Yeah, I’m still getting over George Lamb moving on!
    Fortunately there a ton of internet radio, WorldwideFM is good a lot of the time.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘Recommend an alternative to Radio 6 Music’ is closed to new replies.